Nugget Shooter Forums

Beauty & The Beast

post-2983-1176056579_thumb.jpg

---------------------------

I found this meteorite in the same location as last week's but it was buried about 2-3 inches down. The two halves together weigh 185g. It is considerably less beautiful than the others due to the rust problem. Is there a way to clean up the rust and prevent it from continuing to eat the rock to nothingness, or is it a lost cause? I cut the rock at the point the rust mostly stopped to prevent it from spreading across the whole stone.

An even more important question; do I have to worry about rust spoors getting onto my other meteorites and infecting them?... should I store them separately?

Thanks in advance for your meteorite care tips!

Scott

I found this meteorite in the same location as last week's but it was buried about 2-3 inches down. The two halves together weigh 185g. It is considerably less beautiful than the others due to the rust problem. Is there a way to clean up the rust and prevent it from continuing to eat the rock to nothingness, or is it a lost cause? I cut the rock at the point the rust mostly stopped to prevent it from spreading across the whole stone.

An even more important question; do I have to worry about rust spoors getting onto my other meteorites and infecting them?... should I store them separately?

Scott

Scott

Great job !!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I need more lessons from Del and Stan

We went down to Franconia on Sat. with no luck , although we didn't stay that long , about three hours . It's getting hot out there. We need to get a Quad , that way my wife would have some shade ,and cold drinks . We should be back down there next weekend on Sat .

I would not do anything to you latest find , just see what everybody else has to say about it. I think thank it might be like a old coin some times it pays just to leave them the way you find them.

Rick

Scott:

I don't know if you saw this but here's a link I posted under a different topic regarding your rust problem on meteorites. I don't know if it will work but it certainly might be worth a try.

http://www.alaska.net/~meteor/Galvanic.pdf

If you try it- let us know if it works.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the link. I don't see any green ooze coming out of my meteorite but I do want to stop the rust from continuing. If I see it continue to get worse I will most certainly try the treatment method in the link. Sounds pretty easy and affordable; very good information.

Thanks again,

Scott

Guest meteorite-hunter

Hi Scott,

congratulations on another find!

Is it beginner's luck or do you just know how to find them!! :-)

Did you read my previous post to you, where I told you that I am also a meteorite hunter in socal.

I would like to meet up with you sometimes and hunt together.

You mentioned Coyote when you asked about Calif. dry lakes.

I have been to Coyote dry lake a while back and found nothing, but a couple of years ago I have found five small fragments.

I go with some other Ca hunters sometimes and some of them have found many meteorites there.

So let me know if you want to meet some day.

Did you read about my group

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/meteorite_hunters/

You welcome to join us and learn more about Coyote finds.

There are some images there.

Thanks and I agree with Rick, sometimes when they are rusty its better to leave them alone until you have to give a sample to what ever university will classify your meteorite.

Of course that is way too hard, isn't it, one wants to always look inside. :-)

Moni

Scott

Archived