Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia first timers!

I hunted there last saturday with my family, we are new to this and dont think we found anything from space. We did find some magnetic black rocks in a wash close to the tracks. Not sure if they are natural or from the train crashes? What really scared us was that I think we found an unexploded bomb. I thought this area was only used for small calliber practice? I quess before I notify the feds, just want to make sure it really is a bomb. From the little that I uncovered, it looks like an oversized bullet. aprox. 3 in. diameter, 12 in long narrowing in the front, all steel with little ridges towards that run around the case. ( ridges are where a normal bullet is pressed in/crimped to case). Does this sound like a specific WW2 weapon and how dangerous is this thing? Thanks and can't wait to try again for some space rock.

The magnetic rocks might be little irons. As for the "bomb" post a pic if you can. Doesn't sound like one to me (their a lot bigger, trust me you'd know if it was one because there's no mistaking them).

Hello and welcome to the addiction..... :laught16: You will soon find out that hunting these space rocks can be addicting. Next time you are gonna make a hunt post it and who knows who will show up, Stan AKA (Kaimi) and I Rick AKA ( azdigger) was planning to meet and camp ovr night...turned into a great outing I think there was about 12 of us all total over that weekend.....what a great time.

Post some pics of your "bomb" and some one will know what it is. I know that area was used as a gunnery range for training in WWII lots of 50cals and also 30cals can still be found, :icon_mrgreen: how well we all know :laught16: .

Hope to meet ya some time.

Lots of luck to ya

The area was used for air combat training. They had these large gliders that the planes would drop and thoes were towed behind the planes and they had an explosive charge to release the thing in case it didn't release right. The thing you found is most likely one of these. The only things they shot where 50 cal and 30 cal bullets.

I think Denis Wells has pictures of the other "bomb" they found.

[Erik]

My sister manages the Environmental Management Office out at Edwards Air Force Base in California and unexploded ordance is one of the things her office handles. I asked her to read this post and this is what she had to say-

"It could be anything -- high explosive, concrete, chemical weapons. A

lot of times guys on a training mission wouldn't want to have to check

something back into the munitions bunker, so they'd dump it.

Under no circumstances should anyone touch it. He should call the local

sheriff -- they'll get a military EOD unit in to get rid of it. EOD will

probably explode it in place.

World War II era shells/bombs can still go off -- and since they're

usually rusty, you can't see the paint stripes on it to identify what it

is.

"Duds" are especially dangerous because they might be partially primed.

Remember they're still pulling active WWI munitions out of Verdun in

France."

Bottom line- GET RID OF THE THING BECAUSE IT COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS!

This post addresses a very good topic- Unexploded Ordance. I think this is a very good topic to bring up for this hobby.

I did a little bit of research and here's a link I think is helpful-

https://www.denix.osd.mil/denix/Public/Libr...es/uxo/uxo.html

Unexploded Ordance is a very good topic I've never seen discussed on this forum. Maybe I'll do some research, write something up, and post it in the forum so people will know what to do when they encounter it.

Del

Maybe it is "unexploded ordanance" maybe its a "pipe". I uncovered only a portion of it before I thought to my self, "something dont look right". Just wish I took some pictures but I had my family and kids with me, so we got out of there quickly. Well the last post said I should call the sheriffs, I just dont want to cause a big seen over nothing. I was thinking about going out there soon, take some pictures and post em up. Then you can all see what I saw. I cant help but also think that a deactivated/safe WW2 munition would also be a desirable item. :coffeetime:

Maybe it is "unexploded ordanance" maybe its a "pipe". I uncovered only a portion of it before I thought to my self, "something dont look right". Just wish I took some pictures but I had my family and kids with me, so we got out of there quickly. Well the last post said I should call the sheriffs, I just dont want to cause a big seen over nothing. I was thinking about going out there soon, take some pictures and post em up. Then you can all see what I saw. I cant help but also think that a deactivated/safe WW2 munition would also be a desirable item. :coffeetime:

From the way you made it sound, I thought you took the thing home with you. :scare:

As for the whole Unexploded Ordnance issue, don't get me wrong, WWII amunition is always a cool find and I love to keep them if they're safe. However, this is a very serious issue and if there's something in the ground that can KILL people it needs to be handled and disposed of properly.

One time I found an unexploded five hundred pound bomb out in the desert and at first I didn't think about it. My friends and I took pictures around it (I'm trying to find the picture to post), touched it, etc. I showed the picture to my sister and told her about it, and ohhhhh my god she had a conniption fit! She forced me to tell her where it was and immediately notified the bomb squad and had it disposed of. Now that I think about it, that was really stuped of me. I think about the possibilities of what could have happened and my gosh that was really dumb of me. Let's put it this way: if that bomb would have exploded there would not have been a body bag for me. They would have been picking up my body parts up with toothpicks.

Bottom line- leave Unexploded Ordnance alone and contact the authorities to dispose of it properly because people can die!

What do you guys think? Mortar? RR Junk? Bomb? I dont know. I did find 2, 50 cal shells stamped SL 43!! I quess 43 stands for "1943". Now what to do about the " thing"!

Uhhhhhhh, THAT'S UNEXPLODED ORDNANCE AND IT LOOKS LIKE A MORTAR. THIS IS VERY VERY DEADLY! YOU NEED TO CONTACT THE LOCAL SHERIFF IMMEDIATELY AND TELL THEM WHERE THIS IS RIGHT NOW BECAUSE THIS THING IS DEADLY AND IT WILL KILL PEOPLE. THIS THING NEEDS TO BE DISPOSED OF PROPERLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

I got chills up my spine as soon as I looked at the pictures because it's primed and ready to blow up right now. My god it looks like the fuse is still in it!

Did you get GPS coordinates? If so give call the authorities immediately or shown them exactly where this is.

If you check this link out (thanks for emailing Bob Verish!) read it, and scroll all the way down to the bottom and you will see an unexploded mortar. This is exactly what is in that picture!

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2006/jun06.htm

I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF CALLING THE SHERRIFF IMMEDIATELY! THIS WILL KILL PEOPLE!

I will be darned if I know what you found there, thought that I had seen just about everything possible in that area. I have uncovered almost every auto part imaginable and quite a few motorcycle parts out in that wash. Trash of every kind has been dumped into the wash just off a point where there is a gate by the highway, and tons of trash was dumped at the 2 RR construction camps that are on the south side of the tracks, bordering the Sacramento Wash.

To me, it does not resemble the detonator release devices used to free towed targets, to be on the safe side if you think that it might be an explosive ordnance, I would take the advice that Del gave you. I do not think that it would cause a big scene if it turned out to be nothing.

If you were on west of the strewnfield, you might have been in the area of the old train wreck, plenty of metal in the wash in that area.....

If what you found is a UXO, I am surprised that it is not more rusted since it is setting in a high moisture enviroment.

Tread careful

Jim

Looks like you found a 75mm (HE) shell to me. From your pic it looks like the fuse is still in it ,and thats not good. Stay away from it.

Here is a pic of one with out a fuse.

Mike

post-1536-1175810009_thumb.jpg

Well the verdict is in!! I first went to the Sherriffs Office, was told it looked like a "Muffler" and that they wouldn't investigate it. I tryed informing them about the area, safety concerns and the resemblance to a stokes mortar. When that didnt work I went to the Kingman Police Department. What a differance, they took the matter seriously and we promptly headed to franconia. I rode out with 2 detectives from their bomb squad, a couple of real nice and profesional guys. They recovered the projectile quickly, and loaded it into his truck. The initial ruling is that its "military ordnance". Fuse intact and "ALIVE". Most likely fired from a recoilless rifle. They were looking into it further before disposal, said they will let me know if they find more info. My quess is 75 mm just like the last post mentioned. Anyways, thanks to the KPD for making the fieald safer, the Sheriffs for wasting my time, and everbody be carefull out there. Check out the pictures of my first Fanconia find!!! :Huh_anim]:

post-3391-1175814155_thumb.jpg

post-3391-1175814176_thumb.jpg

post-3391-1175814277_thumb.jpg

Well the verdict is in!! I first went to the Sherriffs Office, was told it looked like a "Muffler" and that they wouldn't investigate it. I tryed informing them about the area, safety concerns and the resemblance to a stokes mortar. When that didnt work I went to the Kingman Police Department. What a differance, they took the matter seriously and we promptly headed to franconia. I rode out with 2 detectives from their bomb squad, a couple of real nice and profesional guys. They recovered the projectile quickly, and loaded it into his truck. The initial ruling is that its "military ordnance". Fuse intact and "ALIVE". Most likely fired from a recoilless rifle. They were looking into it further before disposal, said they will let me know if they find more info. My quess is 75 mm just like the last post mentioned. Anyways, thanks to the KPD for making the fieald safer, the Sheriffs for wasting my time, and everbody be carefull out there. Check out the pictures of my first Fanconia find!!! :Huh_anim]:

Whew :scare: Boy that's up there on the list of "First Franconia Finds". You did the right thing ff! Now the field is a little bit safer for all of us. :yourock: Unexploded Ordnance is not something to mess around with!

I'm kind of surprised the bomb squad didn't blow it up on the spot.

This is a very good topic I think every person into metal detecting should know about. I'm planning on researching this subject and making a post so everybody knows what to do if they encounter something like this out in the field.

Again thanks for doing the right thing and thank you for being persistant and not giving up when the Sherriffs told you it was a muffler!

:icon_mrgreen: Del

funazfamily,

I will echo what Del said........... Good job ..... Am somewhat surprised that the KPD did not destroy it in place. I have heard nothing but good about the KPD bomb squad and am sure that they knew what they were doing in this case.

Here is a link that shows exactly what you found...... A variety of a WW2 mortar shell...

http://www.rockyroephotographics.com/galle...um=29&pos=4

Very unusual for the general Franconia area as hardly any ground training took place there.

Records show that there was a small amount of bivwaking in the Old Trails road area back closer to Yucca. The air to air training took place over 550,000 acres of land, Yucca was the headquarters for this training as well as Kingman. Three other airports, Topock, Lake Havasu (site 6), and Signal had small landing strips.... Check out the following link, it will give some good information on the subject.

Scroll down to the Yucca information......

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freema...ields_AZ_W.html

Your first Franconia iron turned out to be terrestrial, may your next one be as big, but extra-terrestrial in origin.....

Jim

Mahalo for finding that little piece of trouble and then going on to make sure that it was disposed of properly. Good Karma on your part for sure. Hope your next "target" is from outer space!

Aloha for now, Stan aka Kaimi

Archived