Nugget Shooter Forums

Persistence Does Pay Off

post-2983-1175525200_thumb.jpg

I measured the meteorites on a food scale... not sure if the measurements are correct but they seem about right. A gram is a gram, right? I went out Sunday debating if I should make the long haul to Franconia or if I should stay in Cali. I decided to stay in Cali and I am glad I did. The biggest of the three is 399g :woohoo: . Call it beginners luck I guess. I am 99.9999% sure these are meteorites and if you tell me they aren't, I think I will cry. My heart was racing pretty quick upon finding the big one. Hope you enjoy the pics.

I would also, again, like to thank Stan & Del for their mentoring a couple of weekends ago. I know I would not have found these meteorites without their help. The only reason I spotted them is because I remembered the look of Stans 147g Franconian.

Take care,

Scott

Totally awesome guy! :whoopie:

To make sure just take a small file and make a small "window" somewhere that is not too noticeable when you set them down. You should see some nickle/iron specks. Under a magnifying glass you should be able to see it and also a fusion crust along the edges.

Where in California did you find these honkers anyway? Del would sure be interested in tagging along with you for sure on your next excursion to do some :mm: . Told you all along not to give up but to keep on searching and you will be rewarded. Guess you can now show these babies off to your other half now.

Good job and keep in touch.

Aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi :cigar:

Way to go Scott! Did you find those with your detector? Yeah let me know Id love to go hunting with you sometime. Congrats!

Where you in a known strewn field or did u find your own?

you definitely need to search outward from where you found them.

And did u GPS the spot where you found each?

Way to go Scott, Now it is going to be all of us asking if we can go out with you(how good is that) LOL!

Thats a great find, and its hard to do I know I have been trying :grrr01: .

I hope you took some pic and GPS it. Now you got to get back out there and hit it hard.

Here is a pic of a franconia that I cut. You should see something close to that but it can very.

Mike

post-1536-1175564910_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

I filed a window on one of the smaller pieces that fits together with the big one. I don't want to deface the big one :Huh_anim]: . I will be honest, when I looked inside I expected to see big shinney pieces of metal starring back at me. I didn't quite see that, but what I do "barely" see are tiny tiny worm-like pieces of metal, not throughout the whole window, but here and there (2-3 of them). I don't know about the fusion crust either, it's hard to tell (I think I need to buy a x10 magnifier; I ran out quick and got a x2-x5 magnifier at Staples but it doesn't work very well). My detector did sound off (a little stronger than Basalt) and attracts to a magnet strong enough not to fall off when slightly shaking it. I have in-situ pics and coordinates of where they were all found, which was on a Dry Lake. Thanks for the Franconia picture Mike, I just don't have the heart to cut open the big one to find out. It looks fragile because of all the surface cracks. I think if I cut it, it will fall apart.

Scott

Hey guys,

I filed a window on one of the smaller pieces that fits together with the big one. I don't want to deface the big one :Huh_anim]: . I will be honest, when I looked inside I expected to see big shinney pieces of metal starring back at me. I didn't quite see that, but what I do "barely" see are tiny tiny worm-like pieces of metal, not throughout the whole window, but here and there (2-3 of them). I don't know about the fusion crust either, it's hard to tell (I think I need to buy a x10 magnifier; I ran out quick and got a x2-x5 magnifier at Staples but it doesn't work very well). My detector did sound off (a little stronger than Basalt) and attracts to a magnet strong enough not to fall off when slightly shaking it. I have in-situ pics and coordinates of where they were all found, which was on a Dry Lake. Thanks for the Franconia picture Mike, I just don't have the heart to cut open the big one to find out. It looks fragile because of all the surface cracks. I think if I cut it, it will fall apart.

Scott

Scott

I must say great work !!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like you got two nice ones . Keep up the good work . We have yet to find one , and after being there when Stan found his last one , we know for sure that there is still some nice size ones out there . Del and Stan must have done a fine job with you in just one day, to bad I didn't stick around that day , but my wife had to much partying the night before. We hope to see you down there again !

Rick & Connie

Scott

I must say great work !!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like you got two nice ones . Keep up the good work . We have yet to find one , and after being there when Stan found his last one , we know for sure that there is still some nice size ones out there . Del and Stan must have done a fine job with you in just one day, to bad I didn't stick around that day , but my wife had to much partying the night before. We hope to see you down there again !

Rick & Connie

Thank you Rick. I can't wait to hit Franconia again soon. I would like to plan an overnight outing so we can all get together around the camp fire and get some BS'n time in. We didn't get much time to talk in the field... I was concentrating on hunting too much (pardon me but I couldn't help myself :innocent0009: ). Tell Connie I said Hi. She should know not to party too much before a day at Franconia :laught16: . Take care,

Scott

DID I HEAR overniter at Franconia....OK you got my attention. :hmmmmmm: I am most always ready for a reason to camp. :woohoo:

Lets set a date and times and may :feedback: be plan a little pot luck..........

AZDigger Rick,

I am down whenever everyone else wants to get together. Do you want to start an official post. I guess you kind of tried that already with your night hunting idea :innocent0009: . Maybe we should give it another shot. Lets pick a date a couple of weeks from now and have everyone work it into their schedule (I'd like to camp out the weekend of the 14th or 21st).

Scott

I cut open the smallest of the rocks I found, it is the one that pairs with the largest one. I did find very small bits of metal and what looks like a fusion crust. I am going to attempt to attach pics; hopefully they are good enough to see some detail. Let me know what you think :confused0013: .

post-2983-1175729742_thumb.jpg

post-2983-1175729786_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

Scott

Scott,

:whoopie:

Looks pretty darn conclusive to me. I would venture a guess at a low metal chondrite.

Way to go, congratulations.........

A Franconia get together is out for me on the 14th and 15th, I have a beach hunting trip to San Diego that weekend.......

Jim

Guest meteorite-hunter
I cut open the smallest of the rocks I found, it is the one that pairs with the largest one. I did find very small bits of metal and what looks like a fusion crust. I am going to attempt to attach pics; hopefully they are good enough to see some detail. Let me know what you think :confused0013: .

post-2983-1175729742_thumb.jpg

post-2983-1175729786_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

Scott

Hi Everyone and Scott,

First of all, congratulations on your first finds!

How wonderful you must feel about this accomplishment and lucky!!! :whoopie:

I have been reading the previous posts and thought about letting you know that I am also from California and hunt the socal dry lakes.

I also have a yahoo group (meteorite_hunters) that talks about California meteorites a bit more than on this forum.

A couple of people on this forum belong to it.

Ben and Eric Fisler, Ruben, another one of those lucky guys!!All from Arizona I believe.

What a great team they make though, fathers and sons!

There might be others here, but I might not recognize their log-on names.

I have hunted with Rob Matson, Jim LaBabera, Greg Stanley, Bob Verish and others that are all from California.

Do those names mean anything to you?

You might be able to obtain more information about meteorites and what to do after you found one.

Keep up the good work,

Moni

PS.This is really a great forum!

I really like the way the members interact.

And I also like the some of the other topics.

Also the 2007 Beach Hunt at Imperial Beach CA April 14 to 16th.

I will try to be there and meet some of you.

Let me know more about it!

Thanks!

Hi Everyone and Scott,

First of all, congratulations on your first finds!

How wonderful you must feel about this accomplishment and lucky!!! :whoopie:

I have been reading the previous posts and thought about letting you know that I am also from California and hunt the socal dry lakes.

I also have a yahoo group (meteorite_hunters) that talks about California meteorites a bit more than on this forum.

A couple of people on this forum belong to it.

Ben and Eric Fisler, Ruben, another one of those lucky guys!!All from Arizona I believe.

What a great team they make though, fathers and sons!

There might be others here, but I might not recognize their log-on names.

I have hunted with Rob Matson, Jim LaBabera, Greg Stanley, Bob Verish and others that are all from California.

Do those names mean anything to you?

You might be able to obtain more information about meteorites and what to do after you found one.

Keep up the good work,

Moni

PS.This is really a great forum!

I really like the way the members interact.

And I also like the some of the other topics.

Also the 2007 Beach Hunt at Imperial Beach CA April 14 to 16th.

I will try to be there and meet some of you.

Let me know more about it!

Thanks!

Moni,

Hope that you are able to attend the beach hunt at Imperial Beach, will look forward to meeting you..

Jim

Archived