Nugget Shooter Forums

Scouting Dry Lake in CA

Me and Paul decided to do some dry lake scouting this weekend in CA. We hit 5 lakes and spent a few hours on them to see if they would be worth hitting again. Well everyone we hit looked good and is worth hitting again LOL.

Paul found a little guy, but again we are not sure on his piece( Leave it to Paul LOL).

I got a little guy 1.1 grams and had a great time out there. Saw some great shooting stars (Meteor/Meteoroid) Saturday night too.

Question, a Meteor would be like a pea size dust particle that illuminates? So I think what we saw would be called a Meteoroid, because it was breaking up as it came down.

One more question, would a Meteoroid illuminate all the way to the ground. Or just because it went out, does that mean that it will not make it to the ground?

Mike

post-1536-1174936623_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1174936676_thumb.jpg

Mike and Paul,

Congrats!

I'm really impressed with you two! I guess all of that time that Mike spent holding on to my belt loop and following me around has really paid off....... I knew from the first time I saw Mike post that he'd be making "cold" finds very soon! I wish I could have joined you two, it looks like you guys found some very interesting areas. Maybe next time.

Man I had a good time, cant wait to do it again. One of theese times Im gonna find 1 that screams out I AM DEFINATELY A METEORITE, and not oh mayyyyyyybe, couuuuuuldbe, miiiiiightbe. I guess you never know I may have found something good. Just need an expert to look it over :innocent0002:

We talked about the question Mike asked this weekend and we have discussed it before. No-one we have talked to seems to know the answer. Does a meteorite stay illuminated all the way to the ground, or does it quit glowing after it passes through the friction caused by the atmosphere? If it does in fact stop illuminating after it goes through the atmosphere, then how does someone "witness" a fall? :hmmmmmm: :shrug: :feedback: :1zhelp: :confused0013:

Man I had a good time, cant wait to do it again. One of theese times Im gonna find 1 that screams out I AM DEFINATELY A METEORITE, and not oh mayyyyyyybe, couuuuuuldbe, miiiiiightbe. I guess you never know I may have found something good. Just need an expert to look it over :innocent0002:

We talked about the question Mike asked this weekend and we have discussed it before. No-one we have talked to seems to know the answer. Does a meteorite stay illuminated all the way to the ground, or does it quit glowing after it passes through the friction caused by the atmosphere? If it does in fact stop illuminating after it goes through the atmosphere, then how does someone "witness" a fall? :hmmmmmm: :shrug: :feedback: :1zhelp: :confused0013:

Paul,

Here is a good link that I use once in awhile, it will answer some of your questions about meteorite illumination as it passes through the atmosphere. Read items 8 and 9 ...Glad to see that you and Mike are trying to locate new falls and finds, you will have success in this endeavor.

http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/faqf.html#1

Jim

Thanks Jim that was very informative, and now I have an answer to the question. I assumed that all along, but you know what assume equals ass....u....me assuming makes an ass out of u and me. Thanks again for the link I really appreciate it.

Paul

Mike

Keep up the search, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the big posting and to read the headlines about your future finds. :icon1:

You have the motivation, desire, knowledge and wherewithall to find lots more. If you get into a tight spot and need a partner for a special op let me know :icon1: I have some experience in special ops. :innocent0009:

Take Care

Mike and Paul,

Keep me informed next time you guys plan to hunt California Dry Lakes, or anywhere in Southern California for that matter. I am getting a good feel for Dry Lakes even though I haven't found any meteorites yet :confused0013: . I only searched by sight the times I have been out. Do you guys use metal detectors on parts of Lakes with accumulated rocks? or just sight out all the open areas? If you guys are using quads I won't be able to keep up, but if you think I am a good fit to go hunting with let me know when you are going out next. I have a detector now. I used it at Franconia this past Sunday and located a couple of small irons :icon_mrgreen: .

Question - is it legal in CA to hunt with a metal detector on BLM areas? or to hunt BLM areas at all? I have never been approached by authorities yet (keep fingers crossed; being approached by authorities is never a good thing) but I am curious to what the law is.

Scott