Nugget Shooter Forums

New Coil Recommendations for MXT

Well after this weekend I need Recommendations for a new coil for my MXT Unit. Kaimi and Paseclipse was cleaning up on Irons , and I still have not found my first one. Time to change out the stock coil . The unit will pick small Irons up. But It"s still hard to pin point them !

Rick

Rick try the 6x10 DD coil that is made for the MXT, I have one for mine.

Take you setting ang go into hyper sat, then increase gain to 1+ or even 2+ if you can stand the noise, turn the threshold down to just before you can hear it, when you pass over an iron it will "sing out".

Hope this helps, the stock coil is not my favorite for the MXT.

This is another good site for MXT users.

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/MXT_files/MXT_basepage.htm

Hi Rick

Thanks for the great post. You the Man. I have a guy Kent who has a MXT and we tested Meteorites H and L class and he must ground balance every time he passes over a frag or it will lose the target. Almost like the problem with a wrong coil which a friend had with the GMT. Think he will be able to figure it out now.

Thanks Again

Wayne

I forgot to add to make sure and use the Lock on the ground balance or the machine will balance a meteorite right out of the signal, I have had mine do it when I forgot to switch to lock position.

I will rebalance if it seems more chattery then normal and it seems to quiet it down, just switch to ground...pump a time or 2 then switch back to lock...works for me.

Hope this helps, if not let me know and I will try to help or contact Chris at the link I posted, he knows the MXT well.

Well after this weekend I need Recommendations for a new coil for my MXT Unit. Kaimi and Paseclipse was cleaning up on Irons , and I still have not found my first one. Time to change out the stock coil . The unit will pick small Irons up. But It"s still hard to pin point them !

Rick

Rick,

If your MXT is hitting on the little irons, then you really do not need to pinpoint them. Swish your magnet around in the dirt where you heard the target. Re-check for target and if it is gone, check the magnet. The Franconia Irons will jump to a magnet, I have had many 50+ iron days without ever trying to pin point any of them. There is also never a need to even bend over to retrieve them if you build yourself a meteorite cane with at least a 3/4 inch rare earth magnet on the end. If one is buried down several inches, a quick scraping with the boot and a swish through the dirt with the magnet will retrieve the little suckers.

Gold, lead, and any other non-ferrous metal might need a little pin-point help.

Jim

Rick try the 6x10 DD coil that is made for the MXT, I have one for mine.

Take you setting ang go into hyper sat, then increase gain to 1+ or even 2+ if you can stand the noise, turn the threshold down to just before you can hear it, when you pass over an iron it will "sing out".

Hope this helps, the stock coil is not my favorite for the MXT.

This is another good site for MXT users.

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/MXT_files/MXT_basepage.htm

Hello to All

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize for stepping into the conversation, but can you guys give me some direction in picking the right metal detector. I currently own a Whites IDX w/ PRO BlackMax 950 coil. When I purchased it, they said it was a good all around detector that could be used for meteorite hunting( yea right).

Can I purchase a different coil to improve it's ability to find meteorites or should I just buy a GMT or what???

kgmrg (Richard Garcia) :confused0013:

My thoughts on what the perfect detector would be is this....mostly it depends on what ya want to hunt, if Gold and Meteorites are all you are going to hunt then if you can afford one a good PI might be in order if not the a GMT or Gold bug would work.

For Coins and such there are quite a few that work and work well, I use a Whites MXT for coins and other hunting and a GMT for Gold and Meteorites but as I can afford one I would like to get a PI detector and I think that would round out my hunting arsenal for just about anything.

These are just my thoughts and opinions and I am sure others might think differently.

Ohyeah...WELCOME to the forum and do feel that you stepped into a conversation...ya got to ask questions in order to get answers..........

Hi Rick, boy those MXT's are nice detectors! I have to say I was surprised when I threw down a small iron and it picked it up with no problem. Personally I think that stock coil is good especially if it's picking up irons that small. As for pinpointing, if you have a mono coil on it (which I think you do) try rotating the coil 90 degrees and pinpoint with the edge. Using this method will narrow down the location and more accurately locate the target.

Jim pretty much nailed the best and quickest method for getting the irons. Alot of the time you can just wave a nice strong earth magnet in the general area and those little irons will leap out of the ground right onto the magnet. If you do have to dig, it's usually just a boot scrape and rub the magnet around in the little pile.

When your learning your machine, I think it's best to stick to everything stock until you get used to it, then move onto other coils and/or settings. Because when you move onto different coils you now have to spend the time getting used to that coil and the only way to do this is with practice.

The biggest thing when using any machine is to learn how to "effectively" use it. And you do this with practice, practice and more practice (read you manual until you almost have it memorized too). I was able to find as much as I did because I've put a lot of time behind my detector and I've learned the in's and out of it. Additionally I have also trained my ear to listen for the faintest sound. All this takes time, practice, and patience. Personally I think this hobby is 75% operator and 25% detector and to get good it takes practice.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Del

Hello to All

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize for stepping into the conversation, but can you guys give me some direction in picking the right metal detector. I currently own a Whites IDX w/ PRO BlackMax 950 coil. When I purchased it, they said it was a good all around detector that could be used for meteorite hunting( yea right).

Can I purchase a different coil to improve it's ability to find meteorites or should I just buy a GMT or what???

kgmrg (Richard Garcia) :confused0013:

Richard,

Welcome to the forum, I think that an answer to your question would have to depend on exactly what it is that you are wanting out of a metal detector. Do you want to hunt coins, gold, meteorites and relics, all with the same detector or are you leaning more in one direction than the other. How fat your wallet is will be one of the factors. Keep in mind that in most all cases, hunting for all of the above is a great hobby, a secondary meager income is usually way down the list.. If you cannot afford top of the line and are not expecting to spend a great amount of time pursuing this hobby, then I would suggest that you make do with the unit that you have and maybe pick up a Blue Max 3" x 6" DD coil for prospecting and meteorite hunting. It does not cover much ground, but will hit hard on most meteorites and shallow gold.

Used Minelab SD and PI detectors are very affordable at this time and if you are into prospecting and meteorite hunting and have a grand or 2 to spend, there are some real bargains out there.

A step up from your detector to a good all around hobby detector such as the Whites MXT or a

Minelab X-Terra 70 might be just the ticket as these units will not hit the pocket as hard and leave you lacking the ability to pursue all aspects of the hobby.

I personally have a good Minelab PI for hunting gold and meteorites, a Whites GMT that I use for small shallow gold and also for hunting meteorites. I have a Minelab X-Terra 70 for coin and relic hunting and as a backup unit for hunting gold and meteorites. It will also preform quite well on the Salt water beaches (I am told) For friends and relatives, I have a Whites GM3 and a Whites 6000D to learn on.

If I had to give them all up but one....(I would bawl :cry2: ) ....but since I like hunting for everything, the X-Terra 70 would be my pick.

Most everyone will give you a different answer to your question and the reason for that is.... They have gotten good with what they have..... so get a decent proven unit for the task and get good with it. You will enjoy the hobby.

Jim

Richard, I agree with Jim, the advice he offers is very helpfull. I actually wrote a nice long post on choosing a metal detector on the GPAA forum that addresses some of the questions you ask. It's a little long but well worth the time, here's the link-

http://www.goldprospectors.org/newforum/fo...ts.asp?TID=2314

This post is specifically wrote for people who are looking at gold detectors, however you can take the same exact concept (download the manual and read it) and apply it to coin machines as well. You might have to join the forum to view the post.

You have to first figure out exactly what you want to hunt (coins, gold, meteors, etc), then download the manual for whatever machine your interested in and read it. Trust me by the time you finish reading the manual you will know whether or not that particular metal detector will suit your needs. Just do yourself a favor and don't listen to salesman and sales brochures because according to them whatever detector they're trying to sell you is the best on the market for everything. Good luck

Del

Del

I think that we both need to have some of Stan's luck rub off on us !!!! Ha! Ha! I know that you two guys and everybody else , have put in a lot of time out in the field. The time before this last trip I got a lot of information off everybody down there . I think that it helped out a lot , we just didn't have the time this pass Sun. to much partying the night before and didn't get down there in till late . My wife had a hard time of it that day, I think we would have found my first one with your help that day. You got to love it , we didn't have that much time out there with you guys . We got to see you two guys pull a lot of Irons out , and what a thrill to see Stan get that big one !!!!!!!!!! It made my day just to see it happen right in front of us. On Scotts first try out at Franconia he found two small irons. Now that's what it's all about , and I don't think that it would have happened for him if you two weren't there to help him out.

Thanks again

Rick & Connie

Hey Rick, the next time we can get out to Franconia at the same time I will bring my MXT with the 2 extra coils and you can compare them side by side........I have a 6X9 DD coil and also the 4X6 DD shooter coil plus stock coil all for the MXT. Just let me know when you can make it to Franconia again and I will try to plan on being there along with anyone else that can show up as always the more the merrier :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Richard,

Welcome to the forum, I think that an answer to your question would have to depend on exactly what it is that you are wanting out of a metal detector. Do you want to hunt coins, gold, meteorites and relics, all with the same detector or are you leaning more in one direction than the other. How fat your wallet is will be one of the factors. Keep in mind that in most all cases, hunting for all of the above is a great hobby, a secondary meager income is usually way down the list.. If you cannot afford top of the line and are not expecting to spend a great amount of time pursuing this hobby, then I would suggest that you make do with the unit that you have and maybe pick up a Blue Max 3" x 6" DD coil for prospecting and meteorite hunting. It does not cover much ground, but will hit hard on most meteorites and shallow gold.

Used Minelab SD and PI detectors are very affordable at this time and if you are into prospecting and meteorite hunting and have a grand or 2 to spend, there are some real bargains out there.

A step up from your detector to a good all around hobby detector such as the Whites MXT or a

Minelab X-Terra 70 might be just the ticket as these units will not hit the pocket as hard and leave you lacking the ability to pursue all aspects of the hobby.

I personally have a good Minelab PI for hunting gold and meteorites, a Whites GMT that I use for small shallow gold and also for hunting meteorites. I have a Minelab X-Terra 70 for coin and relic hunting and as a backup unit for hunting gold and meteorites. It will also preform quite well on the Salt water beaches (I am told) For friends and relatives, I have a Whites GM3 and a Whites 6000D to learn on.

If I had to give them all up but one....(I would bawl :cry2: ) ....but since I like hunting for everything, the X-Terra 70 would be my pick.

Most everyone will give you a different answer to your question and the reason for that is.... They have gotten good with what they have..... so get a decent proven unit for the task and get good with it. You will enjoy the hobby.

Jim

Paleface (Jim)

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate the responce I am recieving from everyone. I plan to be in the Kingman area on the 12-13th of April in hopes of finding my first Meteorite. My cell # is (951) 334-5419.

Thanks again,

Richard Garcia ( kgmrg) :icon_mrgreen:

Rick

Thanks for the offer to try the coils. We will be back down on Sat. morning if you can make it there Pm me with a phone # and I will give you a call. We just can't camp out. I don't think that my wife would go for that , and we have a party to go to on Sunday. The MXT had on problem picking up that Irons that Stan & Del were finding last weekend. We just ran out of time. We got there late and my wife wanted to go after about a hour in the field. What can I say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This weekend I won't keep her out partying the night before we come down there . I guess we are getting to old for that 3 in the mornings to bed and 8 in the morning to be getting up . But you only go around one time , so we try to do it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick & Connie

Rick

Thanks for the offer to try the coils. We will be back down on Sat. morning if you can make it there Pm me with a phone # and I will give you a call. We just can't camp out. I don't think that my wife would go for that , and we have a party to go to on Sunday. The MXT had on problem picking up that Irons that Stan & Del were finding last weekend. We just ran out of time. We got there late and my wife wanted to go after about a hour in the field. What can I say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This weekend I won't keep her out partying the night before we come down there . I guess we are getting to old for that 3 in the mornings to bed and 8 in the morning to be getting up . But you only go around one time , so we try to do it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick & Connie

Archived