Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia this weekend anyone?

Looks like there may be a few of us out there this weekend camping on the south side. I for one will be there early saturday setting up my tent and having a cup of coffee as the sun rises. My game of attack is to hit the north side ALL day long with a short lunch break out in the field. Will break camp early sunday and then head out once again for a full day on the north side. Hope to find something bigger than a .50 cal bullet but not so big I will need a winch to haul it out.

Looking forward to meeting anyone showing up. Remember to bring a LOT of water as it may be HOT again.

Aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi

:whoopie: I'm coming out too! Lookin forward having a blast hunting with you again Stan. :icon_mrgreen:

I'm going to leave early saturday morning so I'm thinkin I should show up around 9-10 am. We'll talk soon. :happy0045:

I am going to be there Sunday first light. It will be my first time in any strewn field and I am as happy as a three petered puppy :ROFL: . It will be nice to put some faces on the regulars of this forum. It is going to be a fun time! I am helping my sister-in-law move tomorrow or I would be there earlier :grrr01: . I would like to do the whole camp out deal next time. Hope to see you all there!

Scott

I am going to be there Sunday first light. It will be my first time in any strewn field and I am as happy as a three petered puppy :ROFL: . It will be nice to put some faces on the regulars of this forum. It is going to be a fun time! I am helping my sister-in-law move tomorrow or I would be there earlier :grrr01: . I would like to do the whole camp out deal next time. Hope to see you all there!

Scott

I was wondering when you would try to make it out to Franconia Scott. You seem pretty motivated to get into this hobby and I have to say Franconia is the perfect place to learn.

I've noticed you've been looking around for a metal detector. Have you picked one up yet?

BTW my name's Del

Del, Scott just got a GMT....I think Stan will help him get started hunting with it and show Scott the settings I shared with him.

HHHMMMMM trying to figure if I can make it Sunday morning...no promises but I might give it a try.

It would be great to see you out there Rick, hopefully you can make it. Do you still have my cell phone #? If you do give me a call if you coming out so we can keep our eyes peeled for you.

That's good Stan's gonna show Scott how to work that GMT because this will reduce the learning curve. I only wish I knew more about GMT's as I started off with a Minelab Eureka Gold. If he didn't have a detector yet I was going to let him use my Eureka Gold since I will be using my GP3500. Thats ok, I'll still bring it and if anybody wants to use it while I'm there no problem as long as I get it back and it's not thrashed.

Yeah today I sent out a cashiers check to pay for the rest of my new detector. I found a deal this week for a GPX-4000 that I would have been a fool to pass up. So pretty soon I'll be selling my Minelab GP3500.

BTW- I forgot to ask, whats the weather looking like out there? I looked it up on Yahoo and it looks like there a chance it might rain.

Looks like 84 hi and 63 lo for Sat and Sun is 90 hi and 66 lo...and looks like only 10% chance of rain...hows that

Man I wish I could afford me one of them 3500's but it will be a while before I can get me one.

Yeah the GP's are pricey but once you use one you'll never go back to VLF's (except for drywashing). The only reason I bought a GP was because I found an Extreme for only $1,000! Once you get past the initial shock of "oh my god I can't beleive I spent a few thousand dollars on a metal detector" it's not so bad. The GP's have a higher resale value so when the new models come out you can sell your old one and it ends up costing you only a few hundred bucks more. I figure it's worth it for the best detector out there.

Keep your eyes peeled, because if your patient you'll find very good deals on GP's. For example for me trade up to a GPX-4000 it's probably only gonna cost me about $500 more. If you interested let me know because I will be selling my GP3500 very soon.

Hey Del; Stan mentioned you were going to be there this weekend, but I didn't know your handle as you usually don't show your name. It will be nice to meet you. I gave Stan my cell # to give to you in case you guys are heading out for the hunt Sunday morning and I am not there yet (which I don't think will be the case). As you guessed, I am very interested in my newfound hobby and in finding a meteorite (any size will do, although the bigger the better; a honker would be awesome).

I hope you make it out Rick; I would like to get the chance to hunt with you as well. Stan said he would beg you if he had to. I am sure he won't have to because I know you are an addict like the rest of us and will make it if time permits.

It will be a pleasure to meet you too Rick & Connie. The more the merrier, and the more ground we can cover.

Where does everyone prefer to hunt? I know Stan is going North. Which side of the strewn field is the far side? I know the ellipse goes from North to South but I don't think I have ever read which side is the far side where most of the deeper and bigger rocks should be. Take care all. See you Sunday morning. I'll be dreaming of meteorites until then.

Scott

Oh, another question. Will steel toe boots effect my metal detector? I would prefer them to my crappy hiking boots but I don't want to mess up the hunt. Thanks.

Oh, another question. Will steel toe boots effect my metal detector? I would prefer them to my crappy hiking boots but I don't want to mess up the hunt. Thanks.

:Huh_anim]: :hmmmmmm: .......Nope, Nada, unless you want a signal every other step or so....

:ROFL: Take short steps and put an extra extension rod on your detector.... :laught16:

Would love to join ya all, but got company from Colorado this week end.

Good luck to all of you.

Jim

Scott, I wore steel toes with my GMT and every time I took a step and swung by my boot I got a very nice signal.....got tired of them "cheap thrills" I won't wear steel toes again.

The south side is the largest but seems that the finds are fewer on the south side but if ya make a find they seem to be a little on the bigger size. I will hunt the north side if I make it out, I want to find a few irons for my collection.

Del, I would rather have a VLF at franconia cause i can pick up small condrites a pulse cant sense. My favorite is my gold bug origional because of the "no motion" mode but it can't handle franconias hot rocks... :-/ but the GMT with the DD coil picks up on alot of small stuff.

When i had the MineLabs Explorer II, i found at least 6 or 7 small stones that my dad couldn't pick up with the GMT or Pulse...

The thing i loved about that detector is you could click a button to make it not pick up any sound, then wave a franconia meteorite in front of it and press the button again. That alloud it to only make noise when it was over a meteorite.... and the occasional hot rock but it didn't find that many at franconia.

We will see u guys sunday but will anyone be there from monday to wed.?

[Erik]

I see that there are a lot of questions out there. Steel toed boots? No problem if you just remember to keep your coil away from your toes. I stay away from them myself. Scott,once you are in the field it will all come together.

Rick & Connie: We will be hunting the north side primarily since that is where I have been lucky with my finds. Bring your gps and I will give you a bunch of coords for locations to hunt.

Jim: I will miss your presence at Franconia and especially your "magic finger".

Del: It looks like Rib-eyes and lobster for dinner sunday nite. HMMM, what can we have for dessert? Looking forward to hunting with you again.

Aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi

Alright it looks like I'm leaving from Pasadena at 4:00 am :sleeping-smiley-009[1]: So thats like 5:00 Arizona time.

Scott: you might want to go without the steel toe boots because I'm pretty sure that will reduce the sensitivity of your detector. You can expect to do a lot of walking around out in the sun in warm weather. I'm going to PM you my cell phone number just in case you need to contact Stan and I. Try to get out here early as possible because trust me once you find your first peice you'll be hooked and you'll want to spend as much time as possible out there.

Rick and Connie: I look forward to meeting you two again and hopefully spending a little bit more time getting to know you two.

Eric: spoken like a true guru and I totally agree with you. VLF's will always pick up the smaller stuff and there's some targets PI's will totally miss. That's because PI's emit electromagnetic pulses where as VLF's put out a continuous electrmagnetic wave. I've been procrastinating with bustin out my Eureka Gold out there because I'm still excited to use my PI as much as possible. Though sooner or later I will hit Franconia with a VLF. I'll see you and you dad on sunday.

Jim: sorry to see you can't make it. I was hoping to learn more from you. Oh well we'll have to do it another time. BTW- have you tried out those cable clamps yet?

I'm looking forward to this weekend and I'll see everybody out there.

Cheers,

Del :icon_mrgreen:

Stan,

:hmmmmmm: :chowtime: Rib-Eyes and Lobster for dinner, washed down with a cool beer..... :innocent0009: :ph34r2: Almost tempted to sneak out on the company. :unsure: :smack: .......... The wife would, as Erik would say----(make me dead) !

:wah2:

Jim

:Huh_anim]: :hmmmmmm: .......Nope, Nada, unless you want a signal every other step or so....

:ROFL: Take short steps and put an extra extension rod on your detector.... :laught16:

Would love to join ya all, but got company from Colorado this week end.

Good luck to all of you.

Jim

I am going to miss you Jim. I believe you are probably the KING in these here forums regarding the use of a GMT; I would really like to get some pointers from the best. I understand the whole "family" thing... I guess they are supposed to come first before meteorite hunting. Somehow priorities got messed up in the past, but such is life. We'll catch you next time I'm sure. Take care and show that family of yours a good time. Until we meet...

Scott

Stan,

:hmmmmmm: :chowtime: Rib-Eyes and Lobster for dinner, washed down with a cool beer..... :innocent0009: :ph34r2: Almost tempted to sneak out on the company. :unsure: :smack: .......... The wife would, as Erik would say----(make me dead) !

:wah2:

Jim

Just got back from Franconia and I wish you had sneaked out also. I then could have shown you another one of my "Lucky" finds. Actually there were two but the little one was a chrondite we think. I will email you some pics of both later.

Aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi

Erik,

I have yet to see any meteorites that were found at Franconia with a VLF that I haven't been able to detect with my Minelab. If you have some you have tested and could not hear with a Minelab, please bring them with you to the next outing. I would love to test them with my Minelab. :icon_mrgreen: I would hate to think I am walking over meteorites with my Minelab that you are finding with a vlf, but anything is possible. :coffeetime:

Had a great time out at Franconia this weekend hunting with Del. Scott joined us on sunday as did Rick and Connie. Just in time to see me pluck up a nice little 146.7 gram meteorite right off the surface about twenty feet away from Del and a small iron he had just located. They were in the process of hearing what it sounds like thru their metal detectors when I walked away and looked down and BINGO! :woohoo: I told Del that he can keep on picking up the small stuff and I will just go ahead and pick up the big stuff to get out of his way. I cant say how many irons he found BUT I think he is trying for the 100 mark over a two day period and he was pretty close this trip. :yourock:

BTW, On Scotts first try out at Franconia he found two small irons. Keep up the good work and just keep on practicing with your GMT.

Looks like I may take a couple of weekends off from hunting to recuperate from all the walking Del and I did. Too bad it wasn't a full moon as we could have just stayed out in the field and not have been forced to make our way back in the twilight. Looking forward to another weekend out there picking up them irons and finding an occasional spacerock. :winking0023:

Here are a couple of pics of my main finds for the weekend.

Aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi :cigar:

post-1619-1174932220_thumb.jpg

post-1619-1174932250_thumb.jpg

Now I am sitting here almost crying 'cause I didn't get to go...not fair, not fair

<as I pout like a little kid>

Very Nice Find Stan, I hope to be back out there before too long.

Hey thanks for another weekend Stan I had a lot of fun! The steak and lobster was excellent. I ended up finding a total of 75 small irons. It was a real work out for my ears but it was perfect training for listening for faint sounds. We have to do this as many times as possible before it gets to hot, so drop me a PM the next time you have a weekend off. Now if I could only find one of those big one's :hmmmmmm:

Archived