Nugget Shooter Forums

Just got back from spending 3 days at Gold Basin and 3 days at Franconia. Way too hot for this time of year! It's getting tough to find meteorites at Gold Basin. I managed to scratch out 5. It's not like the old days when folks were taking home pounds and pounds. My take was 103 grams.

Franconia was even hotter than Gold Basin. I think I drank more water in 3 days than I have all winter! The planets really aligned for me on this trip and I found my two largest Franconias to date. The first was a 150 grammer laying on the surface. The second was a 435 grammer that was 6" down. My Franconia take was 620 grams. :woohoo:

The large 435 gram Franconia is heavily fractured and is shedding small irons that look just like the small irons found elsewhere. Pretty amazing how they got those train wreck parts embedded into a large meteorite! :laught16:

More photos from GB & Franconia

Img2007-03-20_0006b.jpg

Img2007-03-22_0005b.jpg

Wow, nice take Dan, maybe I should have gone on to Franconia and camped another night or so....

nice finds.

Dan,

:whoopie:

Super story and absolutely fantastic finds. It simply amazes me just how much material is still out there for the taking by those that are willing to put forth the effort and time it takes to score. I am not one to believe in pure luck, I think that a little luck and a whole lot of skill is involved. You certainly can show the fruits of your skill.

Are there any irons protruding from that 435 gram specimen that would exceed several grams?

Also am wondering if any of your irons have a bright gun metal blue surface ?

Jim

Jim,

No large protruding irons. The largest is about 3 mm.

Yes, we have found some several of the "gun barrel blue" Franconias. They really look cool!

An interesting note on the large 435 gram meteorite that was buried 6" and highly fractured. Jared was examining it under the microscope and noticed small blueish green crystals that had formed on the surface, mainly around the fracures. Didn't the initial analysis of Franconia meteorites show some copper? I may be wrong, but these crystals look like a copper oxide that has formed on the surface. Anybody else seen this is buried Franconia specimens? I will get some photos posted.

Dan,

:whoopie:

Super story and absolutely fantastic finds. It simply amazes me just how much material is still out there for the taking by those that are willing to put forth the effort and time it takes to score. I am not one to believe in pure luck, I think that a little luck and a whole lot of skill is involved. You certainly can show the fruits of your skill.

Are there any irons protruding from that 435 gram specimen that would exceed several grams?

Also am wondering if any of your irons have a bright gun metal blue surface ?

Jim

Those are some beautiful finds Dan:bowdown: . Way to go! I am going to Franconia this weekend; I might meet Stan aka Kaimi there. It will be my first time hunting a strewn field. Any hints on where they are still laying around would be helpful. Were you on the North side? Take care, and again, great job finding them space rocks.

Scott

OK, here are a couple of images of the suspected copper oxide. First image is at 20X, Second is 40X

Img2007-03-22_0003.jpg

Img2007-03-22_0002.jpg

Jim,

Yes, we have found some several of the "gun barrel blue" Franconias. They really look cool!

An interesting note on the large 435 gram meteorite that was buried 6" and highly fractured. Jared was examining it under the microscope and noticed small blueish green crystals that had formed on the surface, mainly around the fracures. Didn't the initial analysis of Franconia meteorites show some copper? I may be wrong, but these crystals look like a copper oxide that has formed on the surface. Anybody else seen this is buried Franconia specimens? I will get some photos posted.

Dan WOW that is interesting to say the least.I know you worked hard for those.It was a pleasure to meet you at the outing.Take care and thanks for sharing.

Dan, Those close up pictures of the large meteorite are beautiful and very impressive. I know what you meen when you said it was hot and you consumed a lot of water. Next year I'm going to get a hydro-pac for hunting in hot weather. I'll be heading back to Mt. next week so Iguess I wont get to hunt franconia until next winter. I enjoyed the visit with you at Gold Basin Outing. see you later.

Harry

Jim,

Hey Eric, are you and your dad going to be out Franconia this weekend for sure? I've been trying to get a hold of Stan for a weekend but I have yet to hear from him.

Del, I'm on spring break next week(finally) so we are leaving sunday morning and we will be there till like 3pm Wed. We will camp sunday night for shure but i don't know if we will motel it for the other nights...

ANYONE-feel free to drop in with cold beer, cold cokes, and snacks. :D

Alright already!! :shrug: Now just where did i put my camp gear? :hmmmmmm: Oh yeah, its in storage. Well off to the storage locker first thing in the morning. :escape:

I will be setting up camp at the same spot where we camped out a couple of weeks ago. Exit 13 off I40Eastbound. Make a right turn into the dirt road and just follow the road until you see my blue jeep wrangler. I should be there by sunrise saturday morning. Bring a little firewood if you can to keep the wolves at bay. :scare:

See you all there saturday morning.

Aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi :cigar:

Dan,

Those finds are awesome and yes there are still a bunch of bigguns just waiting to be had by some lucky and hard working :mm: :mm:

What equipment were you using to find that honker anyway?

Aloha for now,

Stan,

GPX 4000 with the Joey coil. "Low and Slow." :icon_mrgreen:

Dan,

Those finds are awesome and yes there are still a bunch of bigguns just waiting to be had by some lucky and hard working :mm: :mm:

What equipment were you using to find that honker anyway?

Aloha for now,

Dan,

That is interesting, I am pretty sure that it isn`t a copper oxide associated with the meteorite.

Not really sure of what I am looking at since I cannot see an actual fracture in the 435 gram specimen for comparison. All of the green material seems to be fractured rather than crystalline. There also looks like some bruises on the surface and some fractured quartz. Is there any chance that the specimen came in contact with anything that could have left a residue of that nature?

If you are sure that nothing has altered the specimen and the green material is physically attached,

I would not alter it in any way until someone with some knowledge has a look at it.

Yes, metallic copper has been observed in several pieces of the Franconia area meteorites. The original find by John Wolfe had microscopic metallic copper present. I personally have not seen any finds that showed what you are describing. Very Very interesting. Would love to see many more pictures.

Jim

:hmmmmmm:

That is a very good example why it is best not to clean your Chondrites with anything other than a clean water rinse. If you find a fresh fall meteorite, do not attempt to clean it with anything as you can destroy much scientific information.

Jim

Dan,

Nothing like a good mystery to get a discussion going. :Huh_anim]: I figured it was green paint shavings off a train wreck! :laught16::laught16:

Seriously though, you had a good couple of days at Franconia. Sorry we couldn't find any Palo Verde's, but that's meteorite hunting. :grrr01: Next time for sure.

I went out to Franconia this morning thinking the rain was going to quit and I could hunt. Well.............it hasn't stopped raining all day. :grrr01: :grrr01: Oh well that's the great thing about living 20 minutes away, there's always tomorrow.

Hope you can make another trip soon.

Roger