Nugget Shooter Forums

Giant Crystals

Guest GotGold

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone:

This Sunday Oct 12 - on the National Geographic Channel, they are showing a one hour program on the giant crystal caves of Naica,Mexico. According to the website- the program airs at 8:00pm but not sure which time zone that refers to. Check your local tv listings.

Should be very interesting.

Steve

Aloha,

WOW, the pics look like something from outer space. They also look like some of the special effects on the movie Armagedeon.

Totally awesome. One can only imagine what it would be like to be surrounded by such beauty.

Mahalo for the link.

aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Frank:

It also reminded me of the "Fortress of Solitude" of Superman lore, as well "Journey to the Center of the Earth"

For those of you who didn't get a chance to watch it, this cave is located at Naica -a lead and silver mining district of Mexico which has also produced many aesthetic mineral specimens over the years.

At one time this cave was filled with water but when they started mining, they had to "dewater" the mine by pumping it out to keep it from flooding. Two workers stumbled onto it when they opened up another level of the mine. The cave itself is 1000 feet beneath the surface- the size of a football field and as high as a two story building.

The temperatures in the caves is a constant 113F with a 100% humidity. 15 minutes exposure in this cave without any protective gear and you will be dead. The scientists had to develop a custom, ice cooled suit and respirator that would allow them to work in the cave for short periods of time.

The estimated age of the largest crystals were 500,000 years old.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

The temperatures in the caves is a constant 113F with a 100% humidity. 15 minutes exposure in this cave without any protective gear and you will be dead. The scientists had to develop a custom, ice cooled suit and respirator that would allow them to work in the cave for short periods of time.

Sounds just like the detecting climate in Central Brasil!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression there is another version of it and not the same one they aired last year. Guess I'll find out...

Steve

Someone said they have discovered more crystal caves and that's what this new show is about on Sunday.

Steve

fyi they have discovered 3 more caves and that is what Sunday's program is about. If you didn't see the first one you have to see this one.

Someone said they have discovered more crystal caves and that's what this new show is about on Sunday.

Steve

Ya Steve , thats what the commercial just said that I saw. Looks pretty cool....Wish I had Nat Geo channel though.

Wish I had something to tape the show with as I would send you the copy if I could... Do any of your friends have it? If you're a rockhound, the show is a must see. The first program last year was amazing too but was only one hour from what I recall. This program is two hours.

Steve

Yeah that was pretty amazing. Much better then the first show. Hate to think the mine owners would stop dewatering the mine though. What a bummer that is. I can only imagine what those crystals would look like in another 500,000 years..

Steve

Archived