Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

garimpo

space rock or iron

Hi Joe, Garimpo and All

For those that don't know about etching space rocks once a cut edge of an iron meteorite is polished to a mirror finish :tisc-tisc: . It is soaked in a week nitric acid and mostly alcohol solution for a breif time :innocent0009: . On most a pattern will apear called a widmanstatten pattern :smrt1: . It is a way of classifying meteorites into groups. The common hexihedron and octahedron patterns are grouped into hexihedrites and octahedrites respectivly and further classed by the width of the banding in the pattern :ph34r2: . Coarsest, coarse , mediun and fine are the basic variations and classifications. Iron Meteorites take millions of years of very very slow cooling to create these crystaline pattern ,something like 1 degree per million years :zapped: !! Thats why they can be almost impossible to fake :POsmiley01: !! We don't live long enough to fake em :banged: !! The real problem in all this grinding ,polishing and etching is that there may not be a pattern at all :angry-smiley-010: . Ataxites are classifcation of Iron Meteorites that don't have a pattern when etched and are generally NI rich in composition . There are other oddities in Iron Meteorites with several ungrouped types but Irons aren't my specialty :shrug: :shrug: !! Beepin is :icon_mrgreen: !! Well Garimpo and others may have a bucket full of fun cutting, grinding, etching and getting there dose of iron and nickle dust but it ain't a classified space rock until it's been approved and studied by a lab and submitted and approved by the nomanclature committee :Huh_anim]: !! Garimpo the abbreviation for nickle in english is either 5 cents or ( NI ) in Spanish it's cinco centavos or pesos I think :confused0013: !! Happy Huntin John B.

garimpo,

Wow, that is one weathered chunk of Iron/Nickel (FeNi)

As per the report that you received several years ago, the oxide layer showed 30.08 % O (oxide),

64.92 % Fe (Iron), and 5.01 % Ni (Nickel). The Metallic phase showed 93.52 % Iron (Fe) and 6.48% Nickel (Ni). :hmmmmmm:

The 1/2 ton chunk will give the chop saw a real workout.... :rofl2: ......chop, grind and polish with plenty of liquid or you risk getting very :sick0021: :pukes: :sick0026: .......All kidding aside, I personally would not cut any more than necessary for classification purposes. Leave the cutting, polishing and etching to the pro`s.

Wish you a whole bunch of luck with this project, a contract with the rancher would be just the ticket... :icon1:

Jim

John B., as you can see in the above post #2 where I did the cut, had no choice or other means to do the cut, it was really a crude cut. The polishing I did was on that cut, trying to make a mirror finish and maybe etch that portion of the stone.

Remember where I'm at, no one that I know of knows anything about meteorites or has the equipment here to work them and that is definitely the group that I'm also in, hence the reason for me asking for help and advise.

Like Bill S. said there's a lot of people on here with a lot of knowledge about meteorites and are willing to give a helping hand............

and I thank everyone.

Paleface thanks for the input about the charts, now if you would for this dummy, rate the findings on a scale of 1-10 if it's a good or mediocre meteorite.

WHEW!! beeping is more fun and less trauma.

Everybody ready for more questions?

Here goes: suppose the stone above weighed 1,000 lbs. when it hit the earth, how big a hole is that sucker going to make? I realize there's a lot of variables but just a guess will do.

Now the same stone lands, does it "splatter", bounce and if so about how far would the pieces go?

Need some guesses here. :feedback:

I think I can vaguely see some large shallow regmaglypts (thumbprints) in the first pic.

If you have a 1/2 ton + meteorite just be cautious about sharing information. There may be other large chunks buried.

Some large meteorites may not penetrate the ground though most probably will up to several feet deep.

Iron & stone meteorites are likely to fragment as they are passing through the atmosphere at high speed. Where they eventually land is called a strewnfield. Stone meteorites are more likely to "splatter" when they impact the ground.

You may want to swing your detector around the area. Record GPS coordinates & take pics of all finds (even before removing from the ground).

You can research the Gibeon, Brenham, Campo del Cielo iron meteorites for more info.

In regard to the advice about getting a contract with the rancher, great idea if done properly. It can eliminate the high stakes risk factor. Remember, 50% of $500,000 is more than 100% of $0. Notice how life gets more complicated directly in proportion to the amount of money involved? Have patience, my friend. Do it right. That's what we learn from beeping.

Garimpo: I know that abogados are universally detested, but sometimes, after you set the hook in a world class lunker like you have, a little help can be useful from the brotherhood of the bar, not only for bringing that monster to gaff, but to keep him in the boat as well.

Hi Don and All:

I was under the impression these meteorites were found on the surface but turns out I was wrong. This seems like a perfect opportunity for another Steve Arnold type setup using a PI with one of those large custom coils then gridding and dragging,etc.

By the way -if you want to make a dilute nitric acid solution- make sure you ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER. If you don't - it could cause a severe reaction and splash up in your face.

Steve

Hi Garimpo and All

A quick web search on Sikhota Alin might help :confused0013: . It was a fairly recent witnesses fall in Russia. In 1947 it scart the crap outa a bunch of Russians thinkin we was bombing them :yikes: !! It left multiple craters but most were empty and those pieces exploded on impact :smrt1: . I think the questions you are asking are no easily answered :shrug: . I spent 3 + years hunting , logging and mapping the Gold Basin Strewnfield with and for the U of A. We know it's 15 miles x 5 miles but still cannot tell it's direction with certainty :1zhelp: . Because it's a very old fall 15,000+YO, rough inaccessable terrain, and it's a stone meteorite and much of it may be completely weathered away :grrr01: !! I think you might find your in a similar situation :angry-smiley-010: !! By spending alot of time hunting the area and expanding out of it you might find some gradiation of size of the pieces you find :icon_mrgreen: . That will be your indication of direction :idea: . The larger pieces will travel the farthest because of the mass and kenetic energy :mog: !! Judging from your pictures this is a fairly old fall and been on the ground for a long time maybe several thousand years and there may or maynot be visable craters left. Mother nature has a way of healing earths wounds. There maybe many that have settled out and are setting quite deep in the ground :WOW: . There will probably also be areas were all you find is shale or rust balls with no visable metal left especially at the head of the field ( where pieces were small to begin with) or the deeper damp soils in drainage and swampy areas :PO2: . Garimpo since 1/2 of brazils gem and minerals are currently here in Tucson at the Gem and Mineral show. I have no idea if your country would stop the export or protect meteorites. There are so many vendors with brazilian amathyst and boat loads of other goodies I can't imagine Brazil would restrict thier export but I have been known to be wrong before and ended up in jail in Oman :Huh_anim]: !! So you might want to hide your finds from the federalies and snoop around for the laws in your country before getting to brazin with this stuff :broke: !! Also be carful who knows what your doing or you may start another gold rush down there and I've seen pictures of how brazilians do that :woohoo: !! You may have finally found that patch you've been looking for :bowdown: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Folks it's really wonderful having all this great info at hand, thank all of you for your input.

The reason I was asking about whether a meteorite would splatter when it hits the earth is because the large mass one is standing on end in gravel, the bottom tip is still embedded deep enough the stone won't budge, the part that's been sticking out of the gravel but still in the hole is roughly 17" tall, my machete is standing by it and it's 19" long.

Originally the stone had about one foot of gravel covering it up. Yes there are other smaller dig holes in the immediate area around the larger one.

The pic where my amigo is standing is were the stone is in the hole, it's a depression in the earth approximately 20'x10' and there's also two others about 100 yards away just like this one.

My plans now are to go back with a metal detector, GP3000 with a Coiltek 12x24 UFO coil.

First I have to get some neutral ground with the rancher.

It could be that the smaller ones have all been harvested(stolen). Time will tell.

WOW garimpo is this turns out to be a meteorite strewnfield you could go down in history like steve arnold! :whoopie:

Garimpo,

You asked me how I would rate that meteorite on a scale of 1 to 10, If that turns out to be what it looks like and there is an actual strewnfield with lunkers the size that you describe.....I would say that rates right at the top of the scale. It would be at the top of my scale...... I hope that turns out to be somewhat like a large Idaho potato patch and you get to share in the whole harvest.

Good luck.....

Jim

The more you folks talk the more I realize I've got a lot to learn.

Here's another "head scratcher": assuming this stone weighs 1,000 lbs :yourock: and everything gets done right, in your opinions how much of this stone could I expect to be able to sell? Sell as "rough cut" or "finish cut"? Probably not appropriate terms but you get the idea.

a 1,000 pound meteorite may be worth near $1,000,000.

would probably be best not to cut the 1,000lb stone

Joe

Garimpo: I'm off tomorrow to 29 Palms and won't re-surface for a while. Just want to share a couple of thoughts about negotiating with the rancher before I leave, if that is what you intend to do. 1. I would try to base the agreement on both an item of tangible value (an exchange of money, a nice gold nugget, something worth some bucks. etc), plus on certain promises (to employ your skills and specialized equipment and to assume the up-front cost of future exploration and mineral recovery in exchange for the exclusive right to prospect and mine for meteorites or placer gold and to share your finds with him at an agreed percentage for an agreed period of time). 2. It would be good to obtain agreement as to his/your percentage OF THE NET, ie, after all the costs have been deducted, including any TAXES (I can't believe the Govt down there wouldn't want a big bite, especially if your kahuna gets publicity). 3. Get it in writing at first, if you can, but if you only can negotiate an oral deal at first, as soon as you have established some mutual trust (say on your first day out you find some gold nuggets and share with him), perhaps the mood would have ripened to put the agreement in writing. Just some random thoughts, kiddo. I really would like to see you reel this one all the way in! (P.S., have your friend [read "witness"] take some pictures of you shaking hands with him smiling broadly as he is accepting the nuggets, etc., you know the drill.)

Garimpo,

Steve arnold (IMB) found a 1,400 pound Pallistie that is valued at roughly $1,000,000. There is a whole lot of that material, your find might be worth more (per gram) since the TKW is probably much lower. The price will be much hjigher at forst, until you get a lot of it on the collectors market the price will undoubtidly drop, but not by much. I go as far as saying you could probably take a while off of work and search for more meteorites while the finding is good and still secret. You will probably make more money hunting the strewn field for a month or two, I am sure it would be worth your time, and time it will take, lots ans lots of it, if you plan on grid searching the strewnfield, I hope you find gobbs and goobs of money, oops I mean meteorites :innocent0009:

Man you have me wanting to get out and hunt, but it is 3 degrees out here and everything is covered in snow or ices and sometimes both, I Can't wait until it warms up, I am going to burn out my metal detector (Minelab Xterra-70). I got me excited to get out there, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you can hunt a little for me, I'll let you keep half of the finds LOL :laught16: Just kidding, HAPPY HUNTING!!!

I wish you all the luck, Happy Hunting,

Joe Kerchner

illinoismeteorites.com

a 1,000 pound meteorite may be worth near $1,000,000.

would probably be best not to cut the 1,000lb stone

Joe

Hi All:

I really doubt it's worth anything close to $1,000,000 as it's only an iron and not a pallisite. Just by doing the math- on a 1000 lb meteorite- that's roughly 480,000 grams. At $1.00 a gram (which is very unlikely -as is) that's $480,000. At .50 cents a gram- that's $240,000 At 20 cents a gram- that's $96,000. At 10 cents a gram- that's still $48,000. I think Argentina has rules about exporting meteorites but I'm not sure about Brazil. Assuming you could get it out of the country and if you were to show up on the ranchers doorstep with $5,000 in hand- you'd probably have a meteorite. Of course you'd have to figure out a way to transport it to the US which is going to cost some $$$.

Robert Haag has a 660 lb Gibeon with the beautiful widmanstatten pattern for a price of $150,000. That's roughly .50 cents a gram. If someone were to buy it and cut it up for slabs - then etch- they might be able to get $1.00 per gram for it. I wouldn't do this myself but I was just making a point about adding value. So far- we don't know if this new meteorite even has a widmanstatten pattern.

There's so many factors involved- it's really tough to say how much it might be worth. It has to be classified first- as a start. :twocents:

Steve

Thanks Joe and Steve. I've been trying to do what you just did, put a few price scenarios on paper and see what they look like.

Initially it seems to me a buyer would have to be a future seller or very young to be able to cut and prepare a stone this large then sell it in small pieces. It's going to take some time.

I plan on talking to the farmer tomorrow, if I can find my translator.

I believe problem #1 is going to be the buying

#2- and the biggest problem of all hiring a tractor, cutting a road for the Toyota through the jungle and up the mountain, then how on earth could something that heavy be shipped.

#3- where does one store something like this? Bank deposit box? Front yard? No storage facilities here.

I could be stored in a staorage shed, the location may call for a helecopter to get it out of the area if no traffic can make it. It might also make a good display at a museum, maybe you could work out a deal, like they keep it on display for 5 or 10 yrs or so, and in the mean time you could have a place built so you can display it youself, along with the rest of your collection.

Just an idea, buy the land and open up a littl minnibg company and open it to the public fot meteorite hunting, either they can keep their find, sell it to you before leaving, or display it with thier name under it at you location. Many possibllities

Again I wish all of the lick!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Joe Kerchner

http://illinoismeteorites.com

Thanks Joe and Steve. I've been trying to do what you just did, put a few price scenarios on paper and see what they look like.

Initially it seems to me a buyer would have to be a future seller or very young to be able to cut and prepare a stone this large then sell it in small pieces. It's going to take some time.

I plan on talking to the farmer tomorrow, if I can find my translator.

I believe problem #1 is going to be the buying

#2- and the biggest problem of all hiring a tractor, cutting a road for the Toyota through the jungle and up the mountain, then how on earth could something that heavy be shipped.

#3- where does one store something like this? Bank deposit box? Front yard? No storage facilities here.

I mean I wish you all the LUCK not LICK!!

I could be stored in a staorage shed, the location may call for a helecopter to get it out of the area if no traffic can make it. It might also make a good display at a museum, maybe you could work out a deal, like they keep it on display for 5 or 10 yrs or so, and in the mean time you could have a place built so you can display it youself, along with the rest of your collection.

Just an idea, buy the land and open up a littl minnibg company and open it to the public fot meteorite hunting, either they can keep their find, sell it to you before leaving, or display it with thier name under it at you location. Many possibllities

Again I wish all of the lick!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Joe Kerchner

http://illinoismeteorites.com

Garimpo, on this forum you'll find people who know what they're talking about, and some who have good intentions but may not actually know anything about what you should really do. Your problem is to determine who to listen to. I, not knowing much, would contact Robert Haag in Tucson and tell him your story. He'll be able to tell you exactly what to do, and maybe even come down there to help you with it. At least contact him, before you get started off in the wrong direction. Good luck, nogold

Right nogold, I hear ya.

Opinions are like noses(relax Bill), everybody has one but that's why I value everybody''s input. As far as I'm concerned a dummy like me can't ask to many questions.

Finally got some really fine grit sandpaper and here's the outcome.

Same view as the pic with the blue streak..............I can now actually see my two day old beard in the reflection.

Now for some acid.............

post-300-1171394598_thumb.jpg

If I were you I would probably send off samples to Bill and John B. have them submit it to a university for testing and also provide them with plenty of photos documenting the strewn area, possible crater, and especially any large meteorites, giving close-ups of the features on the meteorite and larger scale images with other objects to show size. Let the university know it is their's if they want to come inspect the area and retrieve it. I would contemplate letting them deal with the logistics of hauling it into the U.S. If they're really interested they may look into the possibility of it. I suppose a contract or written deal of payment might be negotiated. I'm not sure what kind of money universities have, but some private collectors might pay well. Again, be careful, keep it low key and don't confess the possible value to anyone who can't keep a secret. You could end up having a great discovery over there. :coffeetime: You're probably doing all of the above so I would imagine you're on the right track. Oh, I would only add, as John B. mentioned, unless you like sawing and polishing gold nuggets, the meteorites should be left in a natural state, from what I can gather a few small sawed and etched samples are plenty, leave the main "goods" in their pristine "intergalatic" state.

Regards,

Rex B. :icon1:

Bigrex, look at post #27 in this thread, Paleface did a break down of the lab report of the meteorite I had tested in 2005.

I'm 99% sure that meteorite is the same as I have now, from the dig holes there I believe they were only a few feet apart.