Nugget Shooter Forums

space rock or iron

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Don and All,

I just went to the Post Office and found a package containing what is a beautifully done slice of what I assume is your iron. WOW what an interesting specimen Don. I'll shoot ya a PM later.

Bill

I was a bit surprised by the unconditional trust you placed in me and my short reputation but I really appreciate it.

I will do my best to process this material for you.

Thanks for the opportunity to work with it

BTW: The 943 gram end piece is sold

One of my biggest faults in life (I have many) is trusting people............

not this time David, AKA Bobadebt, man your the greatest.......thanks for being the honest person

that you are..............

Two Shadows............stand by for the "wiggles and giggles"............

Here's cool picture of the 7 Kilo in process

So far I have removed on end cut and on 60mm thick slice which I will re-cut into a 50mm x 50mm x 60mm rough for my sphere

I plan to cut a slice off of this end cut tomorrow, it will be about 130mm wide and 95 mm tall.

Rough.jpg

And just think that beautiful iron was sitting here by my computer desk just over a month ago.....

good work boba debt............

can't wait to see the sphere it turns into at your hands............

I have several pieces ofthis meteorite for sale

These are fresh of the saw in rough cut condition, they have not been polished or etched yet. I decided to hold off on finishing them in case I need to re-cut the larger pieces into smaller slices, end cuts, etc.

If youlook at the picture you will probably noticed the reflection of the 416 gram end cut on the face of the 1998 gram end cut. As I said, these are fresh of the saw and that is the finish my cutting process produces, which makes polishing and etching the piece pretty easy.

If you are seriously interested in a piece send an email to bobadebt@ec.rr.com

I will be glad to polish and etch it and send you lots of pictures from every angle to make sure you're happy with it before we finish the transaction.

I'm asking $1 per gram for the end cuts and $1.50 per gram for the slice.

TOP ROW LEFT TO RIGHT: 1998 gram end cut. It's 140mm wide x 90mm tall x 40mm thick. The thickness is pretty consistent and it sits on it's own

without support / 968 gram end cut / 416 gram end cut. Both of these pieces are cut on 3 sides and will display nicely.

BOTTOM ROW LEFT TO RIGHT: 300 gram end cut / 82 gram end cut / 67 gram end cut / 332 gram full slice. The end cuts are cut on 2 sides

7kilo.jpg

Thanks

BobaDebt,

If you don't mind sharing, I was wondering what type of plaster you use when cutting meteorites? and where you buy it from. Any tricks or helpful hints would be great too.

Thanks,

SoCalNovice

Here's cool picture of the 7 Kilo in process

So far I have removed on end cut and on 60mm thick slice which I will re-cut into a 50mm x 50mm x 60mm rough for my sphere

I plan to cut a slice off of this end cut tomorrow, it will be about 130mm wide and 95 mm tall.

Rough.jpg

Thanks for the response; I wouldn't have figured it to be just simple Plaster of Paris. You are doing a great job on Garimpo's Uruacu meteorite. It looks hard to cut and etch. Your pictures are great, but I bet the slices look much better in person.

Scott

Here is a quick photo or my slice, it weighs 101 grams, I just did a really quick etch on it without too much sanding/polishing. I just wanted to see what it looked like. I will repolish and re-etch it, I will look much better when I do the final etch.

I will post more photos when I finish. This photo does not do this slice justice.

uruaca_etched1.JPG

Best Wishes,

Joe Kerchner

I have been really busy lately, I have it etched, but have not had time to take photos, edit them and post them yet. I will have some posted tonite sometime, I hope. If not it will be tomarrow in the morning.

Sorry about the wait.

Best Wishes,

Joe Kerchner

Here are a few more photos. The other side really doesn't have much of an etch, I also need to sand it down more before the etch looks good. I have it sanded and polished currently, so I decided not to photograph it. I hope that after I re-polish and re-etch it a few times it will come out in more detail, it is what usually seems to happen when I etch a piece more than once. I'll post some photos of it if/when I re-etch it.

uruacuetched6.JPG

uruacuetched3.JPG

uruacuetched4.JPG

uruacuetched5.JPG

Enjoy,

Joe Kerchner