Nugget Shooter Forums

space rock or iron

This morning my stone was shined to a beautiful mirror finish................so this afternoon after I found the acid man and got some Nitric Acid from him................it was bath time.............

I am now even more convinced that knowing what your doing is a lot better than stumbling around in the dark.

My stone no longer has the mirror finish...........now it looks like someone spilled milk on it and did a bad job of wiping it off before it dried.

First thing I did was make a measuring cup out of a white plastic film canister, to the top was 10 parts, then I marked where 5% and 10% would be...............filled the thing with alcohol, poured it in a plastic bottle, rinsed the measuring cup and dried it, poured in 5% Nitric, poured that in the bottle of alcohol, it didn't do anything but just sit there, no foam, no spewing, no boiling, just sat there.

Got the old tooth brush and put the mix on the stone, the polished surface for about one minute, nothing, added just a tab of Nitric, now probably about 7%, put that on, nothing unusual.

Washed the whole mess off with liquid soap and water, dried the stone, wish I knew what to expect and look for.

Oh well, maybe to little acid or to much acid, tell me what you'll think. :feedback:

post-300-1171465708_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171465725_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171465741_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171465757_thumb.jpg

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Don:

The cracks you see are probably from the weathering of the meteorite over the thousands of years when it was buried. However - I do see some signs of a coarse widmanstatten pattern. You probably need to soak in the acid a little longer as I don't know what % acid you started off with. Most nitric acid sold commercially is diluted somewhat. There's also a type called "fuming" nitric acid which is much stronger the normal.

Just keep repeating the process until you get some results.

Here's a link to one that's been etched and will probably look similar to yours when done.

http://arizonaskiesmeteorites.com/AZ_Skies...mpos/index.html

Steve

Don:

Just keep soaking it in acid and rinsing until you get a pattern. It really shouldn't talke that long. Depends on the strength of the solution you're using. When finished- make sure you rinse the heck out of it. Better yet- if you have any baking soda- make a strong solution with water and neutralize whatever acid might be left on it by soaking it.

By the way- there was another fall in 2003 near someplace called "Santa Vitoria Do Palmer". Have no idea where in Brazil that is but they recovered a few specimens from there. Could be more there and might be worth checking out if it's nearby.

Steve

Don and all,

My advise would be to warm up the acid and the meteorite to arounf 100 degreesf if possible. Also you must have polished a cool amount off from after the cut or the last etch, I have never soaked a meteorite in acid, I alway keep a glass dish uder the meteorite that is being etched, fill the lid of the etchant. LOOK AT THE CLOCK the see what time it is, 5 minute. max. Dip the the soft tipped paint brust anc cover the surface with the acid, keep the acid fresh as possible for about 2 minutes, Then I brush on a few more coates of acid and let it sit sor 30 seconds. I then rinse it off with ethonal and blowdry it off really quick, The I replentish the lid with the etchant with fresh acid. Then keep brushing on fresh acid for the remainder of the 5 minutes. After I am finished I rinse it off again with ethonal, this time very touroghly. The let it dry in a pre heated oven at 125-150 degrees for upto an hour.

I hope this helps, Also the finner the sand paper the better the etch. I use 60-80-100-220-320-400-800-100-1500 grit sandpaper. I use the 60 or 80 the most to et the fest material to be etched.

Thanks,

Joe Kerchner

I've got one of the DNA decendants of an "original" grapefruit tree (really sour like they used to be before the pink Texas and Florida varieties came along and flooded the market). I once accidently dribbled some on my chrome kitchen faucet and the next day it had eaten right through the chrome down to the brass. Who knows, maybe some Brazilian grapefruits might work for you. Just a silly thought.

Today a little more acid, now about 10%, more time, five minutes.

Here's how it came out, washed it in alcohol first, then boiled water and alcohol, then just the boiled water(no distilled water here).

It's now cooling off, still in the oven, maybe more pics later.

Sorry for the poor photograph, it actually looks better in real life.

post-300-1171540325_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171540340_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171540357_thumb.jpg

Today a little more acid, now about 10%, more time, five minutes.

Here's how it came out, washed it in alcohol first, then boiled water and alcohol, then just the boiled water(no distilled water here).

It's now cooling off, still in the oven, maybe more pics later.

Sorry for the poor photograph, it actually looks better in real life.

Don:

Are you seeing any signs of a widmanstatten pattern beginning to emerge? Like you said- it looks better in person then photographed.

Steve

Don, all,

This definatly shows a widmanstatten pattern, I explain in the photo below. You can see the Kamasite and the Taenite plates and also see some shock veins, I will pass this on to a few places and people and see if we can't get the classification process underway. Man congratulations on your new find. Many hunters have hunted for many years and are still yet to have found their first new find. Congrats again.

donsmet3.JPG

Thanks,

Joe Kerchner

Goldfinger take a look at post #62 :hmmmmmm:

Joe, you mean all that you just described is on that one ugly rock?

When holding it in my hand and turning slowly to get the light just right it shows a lot of different patterns. I tried to get that with the camera but couldn't quit do it.

It reminds me of the old fashion patch work quilts.

If we finally decide that it is a meteorite, I'm going to name it "garimpeiro", that's the proper way to pronounce prospector in Portuguese.

It looks like you can see the widmanstatten pattern beginning to emerge. I just don't know how to go about making it stand out better. Longer acid soaking? Reformulate the etching solution? Resand with a finer grit and start over? I've never done it so I don't know what the answer is.

Steve

I would not soak it, I would use a soft tipped brush. using the 800 grit will take the etch away. you should sand it down and re etch it using a brush and keep fresh acid on it at all times, do it for between 3-5 minutes until you see the etch stop getting better, it will begin to show almost immediatly, keep doing it until you think it is finished. The more you practice the better you will get. My first etch was nat as noticable as yours, look at my site to see some of my latest etches, they are much better, it will come with time. use this as your practice piece, for etching anyways, not cutting, :POsmiley01: LOL

Thanks,

Joe

??????? anybody know what "grit" steel wool is?

How about those foam pads women use in the kitchen, foam on one side and an abrasive on the other side.

Don't use the abrasive side to clean dried bugs off of your windshield with............it scratches the glass.

You'd send a sample to a scientist at a lab and they'd give classification info to the Meteoritical Society for publication. AFAIK

You may want to contact Marvin Kilgore at ASU. He was/is a meteorite dealer who now works with Arizona State University in their meteorite center.

Thanks James, guess I'll just have to wait for the classification process to finish before proceeding.

I couldn't stand knowing if I could get the etch to look better or not..............so I did a little sanding.........first with the 600 grit..............then the 800 grit........it was amazing how little sanding it took to bring back my mirror finish.

Got a new bottle of alcohol 93% and add 10% Nitric Acid............put the whole mess in a glass saucer that had a flat bottom.........added the Nitol, just enough to cover the cut end of the meteorite..........let it soak for five minutes.

Took it out of the "solution" and immediately gave it a alcohol bath with a brush..........then put it in a mix of dish detergent and tap water and give it a good scrubbing...........then dried it with my wife's hair dryer.

Still haven't touched the surface with my fingers, only hot air.

Pics below.

post-300-1171740967_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171740996_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171741013_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171741024_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171741034_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171741047_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171741061_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171741082_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171741099_thumb.jpg

post-300-1171741113_thumb.jpg