Nugget Shooter Forums

Slim Scores A Drywasher

I ran into a deal I couldn't pass up and bought a Keene 12 volt drywasher. It took me a while to learn how to set it up but here it is in action...

post-740-1169330205_thumb.jpg

BTW, I heard that a lawnmower battery will run one of these things all day. That IS NOT the case unless I got a bad battery at Walmart. It pooped out after less than an hour. I started the Samurai, pulled it along side the drywasher and jumped the lawnmower battery. Then I saw how the drywasher is really supposed to work. I couldn't shovel the dirt in fast enough!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dakota

Try running it with a motorcycle battery. I have the same dry washer and I run

it with a 12 volt dry cell battery a friend gave me. It will run for

about 2 days on a good charge. You will have a great time with that

little washer. Don't feed it to fast and classify your material down. It

works better if classified down to quarter inch. Good Luck and have fun. AZ

Slim: Congratulation on getting the drywasher.Especially getting a good deal on it.

When I had my 12 volt drywasher I never had a small battery last more than a few hours with a full charge.Like you I bought a new lawn mower battery from Wal-Mart on the way out to play with my new toy.It lasted about an hour and a half.

After I took it home and put a full charge on it,it lasted about three to four hours each time out.

Well four or five trips was all I put up with that and bought a deep cycle marine battery.With a full cherge it would last all day and then some.The only problem was the weight.But a big wheeled,air tire dolly helped with that.

Now I run a blower type and don`t worry about running out of juice.

I have noticed several solar panel chargers on ebay that are reasonably priced and was thinking about getting one for the recirculating sluice and spiral panner.Which I run off the deep cycle battery I bought for the drywasher eight or so years ago.

Have fun with the drywasher and I hope you find some nice gold. Merle.

Slim,

I have the same drywasher and I bought a small tractor battery at Autozone for 25.00 dollars and I can usually get 1-1 1/2 days use. I use 3 gal. buckets and run between 20-30 per day. If you have been following some of my postings than you know for and old fart I move a large amount of dirt. Take the battery back and tell them it won't hold a charge. Lastly, have fun with it cause it will get the gold if its in the dirt.

O'29er in 29

Thank you for the input gentlemen. I just bought 4 new batteries for the RV and and have room for a couple more. I guess I'll try and trade this lawn mower battery in on a full sized marine battery. Now that the days are getting longer, I should have enough solar power to keep it charged up. If I find a good spot to drywash I can get 2 batteries and rotate them. I'll probably even wire one into the Samurai so it charges while I'm driving.

Birddog, I have a bunch of screens. Next time I'll bring the 1/4 inch along.

Merle, I have a Samurai. I probably won't be carrying the battery or the drywasher very far.

post-740-1169349679_thumb.jpg

Slim Put that yellar dog you call Nugget to work.........If you feed him enough dog bones and throw his ball he will wag his tail hard enought to keep that dry washer puffin...............Jerry

Jerry, one thing that Nugget does really well is DIG. We are still working on the "Dig Here" part however.

I'm actually looking for a couple illegals to bring along with me to do the shoveling. I found a shovel in the desert the other day so now I have 2. As Clint Eastwood said in The Good The Bad and The Ugly, "The man with no gun does the digging."

How is your ankle BTW?

Slim,

You will really like that machine, I got rid of mine because it was a little heavy for me when my knee was giving me fits. I used a marine battery and could run several days on a full charge.

I have been looking at the first picture that you posted of your unit in action, something about it is not right. Do you have it set up as per the directions? The leg spread does not look right. It should span forward of the heading and also past the tail end. Compare your picture to the pictures in the following link.

Couple modifications that I did on mine. I put the lead wires inside a piece of light weight hose, it will protect them. attach a tote lid to the head end of the unit, just under the screen and down to the ground. hook it to bellows box at the top and to the bottom of the legs. It will keep headings out from under the unit and away from the bellows shaft and arm.

http://www.lifestylestore.com/ls_drywash_dw12.htm

Jim

Slim we refer to them as guest workers here because they out number us.....You might even pick up one of those street corner folks that has a sign "Will work for food" and see how serious they are.

Was up and around today on my ankle with an aircast and the swelling has gone down a lot. Jerry

Slim we refer to them as guest workers here because they out number us.....You might even pick up one of those street corner folks that has a sign "Will work for food" and see how serious they are.

Was up and around today on my ankle with an aircast and the swelling has gone down a lot. Jerry

I'm glad to hear your recovery is moving along Jerry. It's been a long time since I sprained an ankle but I remember the pain very well.

Thank you Paleface. I didn't get any instructions but I see what you mean. I have the braces bassackwards. What did you use to make the tote lid?

Slim,

It is just the plastic lid off a rectangular storage tote, approximately 30 gal size. I had a bunch of extra lids. They are flexible and yet very tough. Anything that you could attach to the frame just under the lip and extend to ground level and will withstand the dirt and rocks, will work. This way nothing will build up under your unit, except tailings. the tailing pile should be leveled out quite often. When starting back up after removing your riffles and shakedown or dumping to be panned later, shovel a few shovels full of tailings into your machine, kinda helps to have a loaded riffle tray when running new material thru the machine. Your recovery will be better when your tray is fully charged.

Jim

Slim,

My basic routine is as follows.

1. Classify the material into 6 3 gallon buckets

2. Run 2 buckets thru the drywasher and dump the riffle tray and repeat til all the buckets are empty.

3. Sit down, drink some water and I pan out my cons while I rest. I enjoy panning and watching the gold pop up out of the material. I use a 5 gallon bucket with water and a 10 or 11 inch pan.

Repeat until you drop or decide its time to quit for the day.

This routine gives my back time to rest and the rest of my body to regroup. The material I'm working off of bedrock is not real soft, as a matter of fact, sometimes I need to use a small demolation hammer on it.

Hope that helps.

O'29 in 29

Thanks Bob. That sounds like a good plan. I'm a terrible panner but I can either learn or buy one of those wheels.

* If I could make a treadmill for Nugget, I could hook that up to the Keene and I wouldn't need batteries. He could also power a sluice!

Thanks Bob. That sounds like a good plan. I'm a terrible panner but I can either learn or buy one of those wheels.

* If I could make a treadmill for Nugget, I could hook that up to the Keene and I wouldn't need batteries. He could also power a sluice!

Slim,

You might want to look into a small to med. sized gold Buddy. I got one from a guy here on the board. it works really good just takes a lot of water. I got one of those 10" 49er pans from Lifestyle Stores. It has a deep bottom shelf and very good v-ridges on one side. Makes it easy to pan and alot less chance of losing gold.

Bob

Slim,

I am a little more like a bull in a china closet, full steam ahead..... If I can get my machine to the spot that I am working, I shovel directly into the machine after making sure that the material is well pulverized, If I am getting decent gold, I run the tailings twice. Usually shake down about every 50 to 75 shovels full. If by chance I do any classifying, then I usually run at least 6 to 8 3 gallon buckets thru before I shake down. I remove the riffle tray, flip the concentrates to the top of the tray and then shake it back and forth flat, over a tote or box. After a few shakes with the tray flat, I start tilting it forward while shaking it back and forth, let the excess fall off into the tote or box. Do this several times until there is very little material left in the tray, the last time that you do this, bring the tray back to a flat position, tilted to the left or right. Now bump it backwards with your hand and any pickers should be in the first riffle on the side that you tilted it to. You can use a straw and blow the dirt aside in each riffle and the gold will be exposed. Take out all the pickers and dump the concentrates in a bucket. At the end of the day take the material that you dumped in the tote or box and run it thru your machine twice. Shake this down into a bucket and dump the final concentrates into your concentrate bucket. You can now do a quick pan of the concentrates and remove the larger gold that you missed by blowing on the riffles. I then dump what is left back into the bucket and run thru a poop tube at a later date when I have several buckets of concentrates. A poop tube or chute can be made from 4" rigid corrugated RV disposal line, cut in half and mounted with screws on a board for support. Seal each screw hole with silicone. I have one that is almost 8` long and another a little less than that. Attach a garden hose to the top end, slight incline and the bottem end in a bucket. Good flow of water, slowly dump the concentrates into the top end of the chute. The first 2 feet of the chute should catch most all of your fine gold. Save the concentrates to run some mercury thru at a later date.

P.S. Throw a couple bird shot into the machine each run, if everything is working proper, you will recover the shot in the first 2 riffles every time. If not, go back to square one, adjust the angle of your machine and the material feed until you get it right. :hmmmmmm: Metal detect your headings and tailings after each days run and remove any lost bird shot so I won`t have to chase them around at a later date.... :brows: :;): Good Luck

Jim

Calling Bob, Jim & Slim,

Maybe it just might be a good idea for the 3 of us to meet up somewhere and go over all this in person. I know I can still learn alot and besides I need to get out of CA. for a weekend or weekdays. Jim, why don't you or Slim call it. I'm willing to travel. I figured I broke even this year cuz I moved up from Pork & Beans to Sardines and crackers.

Bob :innocent0009:

Just a couple of extra thoughts: I use tiny bits of copper wire, some of which I have hammered fairly flat in lieu of the birdshot that Paleface uses. I also use these when setting up my sluice in a river to obtain the correct set. Idea here is that copper and lead both have essentially the same specific gravity, but copper is easier to see. Also scraps of copper wire come in many different gauges, thus depending on the circumstance, you can select from the appropriate test vial. As for screening, what I do is carry along with me several plastic pans. When sampling I sort the entire runs from different spots into sizes ranging from #8 through #30. This helps me decide which of the sampled areas I will set up in. When in production mode I continue to sort each run by screening for size, but I don't pan them out until I reach a point when I'm tired (or especially after a lunch break when I need to do something restful while the belly does its digestion thing). Paleface's suggestions regarding how best to concentrate the good stuff in the riffle tray is way cool and I for one will be trying it next time out! Dang it, I haven't done much dry washing lately, but this thread has bent my thoughts back in that direction -- especially with all this dry ground we still have in So. Cal.

Just a couple of extra thoughts: I use tiny bits of copper wire, some of which I have hammered fairly flat in lieu of the birdshot that Paleface uses. I also use these when setting up my sluice in a river to obtain the correct set. Idea here is that copper and lead both have essentially the same specific gravity, but copper is easier to see. Also scraps of copper wire come in many different gauges, thus depending on the circumstance, you can select from the appropriate test vial. As for screening, what I do is carry along with me several plastic pans. When sampling I sort the entire runs from different spots into sizes ranging from #8 through #30. This helps me decide which of the sampled areas I will set up in. When in production mode I continue to sort each run by screening for size, but I don't pan them out until I reach a point when I'm tired (or especially after a lunch break when I need to do something restful while the belly does its digestion thing). Paleface's suggestions regarding how best to concentrate the good stuff in the riffle tray is way cool and I for one will be trying it next time out! Dang it, I haven't done much dry washing lately, but this thread has bent my thoughts back in that direction -- especially with all this dry ground we still have in So. Cal.

Micro nugget,

Where are you located in So.Ca.? Maybe we can hookup out here in the Dale area and do some prospecting.

Bob

Bob, I am still down by Yuma, working my day job, taking care of some RV maintenance & repair and getting ready to get some dental work done in Algodones. I should have the RV ready to go tomorrow but still have some other loose ends to tie up here. It looks like it's finally going to warm up so I am looking forward to heading a bit north.

I want to go up to Ehrenberg to pick up a mineral specimen I saw last year and check out a hidden outcrop that's capped with cellular rock. It's a classic that I don't believe has been sampled. I wish I had a core drill. I also want to look up a friend who was (and presumeably still is) working the Goodman mine.

In any case, I'm game for a mini outing in early to mid or even late February provided there's no snow or any of this freezing BS in the forecast.

Thank you Micro Nugget. I've found lots of bird shot with my GB2 and you are right, copper would be much easier to see. I bought a Miner's Wheel for $65 on ebay this morning and plan on processing all the concentrates back at the RV. It only takes 3 gallons of water to run the thing and that's a big plus for me.

Slim,

I've been wanting to get back to Quartzite and prospect with Colorado Bob, so maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone. The Erinberg area has always interested me. I use to fish alot at Blythe and was always checking out the hills on that AZ side. I must say, AZ has some beautifull mountains and hills. Rugged as hell looking but still pretty.

Bob

Bob, I usually camp on the south side of the interstate off Wells Rd. when I'm in that area. I met Colorado Bob at Rich Hill and would love to get his assessment of the Quartzsite/Ehrenberg area. I don't like going into Quartzsite this time of year because it's too darn crowded but I do like the food, beer and off track betting at the Yacht Club.