Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill w TX

1/4 dollar ca gold coin

Anyone have any idea what a 1/4 dollar gold coin minted in california in 1871 on the back it has

----

dollar

Cal

and the date is on the front.

also have a old worn 50 cents in paper series of 1875.

Would like to sell so I can get a good detector

Appreciate any information.

Thank you

Bill

Guest GotGold

Bill,

There are five different varietys' of this gold coin and each has other variables that determine its' value.

It could be worth anywhere between $90.00 and $800.00+ depending on condition and the above variables. The book I'm referring to is 6 years old so I'm sure the value has increased over time.

A picture would sure help.

Gary

Hi Bill

I'm somewhat of a collector of cal gold coins and have a few of them. There were lots of replicas ( fakes) made of 1/4 and 1/2 dollar denominations some for tourists and some for jewelry. If yours is real there is also the aspect of condition which is a big factor of value and the type. Some are round and others octaganal certain types were low mintage others a lot. I'm interested what is your asking price and can you pm me or post some good pix of your individual. I know nothing about notes but might be interested in it as well ?? Happy Huntin John B.

As soon as I can figure out how to take a picture of this coin with this digital camera we just got will post pictures as soon as I learn how to post on here. Camera is a Samsung Digimax D53.

Bill

Man, I've seen official USA old gold one dollar coins and they are very small. A quarter dollar coin must be really tiny!

I have seen a few at coin shows and they are small...I figure at $20 an oz they would only weigh about 6 grains...here is my math...480 grains per oz/$20 =24 grains per dollar/.25=6grains per quarter dollar... no adjustment made for less than 24k coins...

fred

Man, I've seen official USA old gold one dollar coins and they are very small. A quarter dollar coin must be really tiny!
Chris off subject but sure enjoyed your web sight on the Alaska trip i SURE HAD A LOT OF WEEKS LIKE THAT ALSO! Did eight years up there moved to Idaho year ago too hot, tailing piles everywhere well picked over there like a giant rotortiller went over the land! moved to Great Falls Mont this last fall thinking about a trip your way for awile would a Gold bug 2 be any good at rye patch? can you use 4 weelers there? Would apperacate input, been up to Montana gem hunting? found some nice stuff in the 9 hardness scale here! Shakerdave

<!--quoteo(post=68424:date=Jan 19 2007, 03:55 PM:name=Reno Chris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Reno Chris @ Jan 19 2007, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=68424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Man, I've seen official USA old gold one dollar coins and they are very small. A quarter dollar coin must be really tiny!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Chris off subject but sure enjoyed your web sight on the Alaska trip i SURE HAD A LOT OF WEEKS LIKE THAT ALSO! Did eight years up there moved to Idaho year ago too hot, tailing piles everywhere well picked over there like a giant rotortiller went over the land! moved to Great Falls Mont this last fall thinking about a trip your way for awile would a Gold bug 2 be any good at rye patch? can you use 4 weelers there? Would apperacate input, been up to Montana gem hunting? found some nice stuff in the 9 hardness scale here! Shakerdave