Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia DVD just arrived....

Hi gang, just got done watching the Franconia Meteorite DVD :smrt1: by Wayne and I must say it was a good video :whoopie: . THe DVD was well paced, covered most of the basics, and had hunting in the field. Some really nice finds to mention goto Jim, John, Todd (who I met prior to the fact, but didn't know it) and the rest. Overall, not bad. I guess if there's anything to add :hmmmmmm: , it would have been fighting the basalt and other "Hot rocks" in the area, mentioning the web sites at the end of the DVD in a still shot, and maybe some more "tricks" of the trade for identifying meteorites in the field. :innocent0009: Granted this is just my :twocents: and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if I had to buy it again, I would!!! Great job fella's and to Wayne for bringing this to DVD. Jason :;):

I got my DVD in the mail yesturday. Thanks Wayne for the fast shipping. I emailed Wayne because I needed to know what the shipping costs were and here is the video at my door the next day. Thank you! I watched the DVD 3 times last night and plan to watch it three more time tonight. If anyone is planning to hunt at Franconia I would recommend this video. Could not be better timing on the release for me as I will be down there some time next month. If you expert meteorite hunters has a choice between using a new Minelab 4000 or a White's GMT, which one would you use? Are the basalt boulders hot because the 4000 is supposed to handle them well? Do any of the experts due guided hunts at Franconia? Are there any campgrounds in the area? Thanks.

Take Care,

Matt

Matt a lot of the area is BLM so you can camp most anyplace on the south side of the hiway.

I don't know about guided hunts but if I can get down there when you are there I would be happy to point ya ibn the right direction.

As to the detectors, that I am not sure of, I use a GMT, others use different machine so I can't answer that.

Most of the rocks out there seem to give some kind of a signal or make the detector got BEEP.

Give me a shout when you are going to be there and I will tru to get out there to meet you.

here is a picture of us (nuggetshooters) camping at the outing.

Matt,

With reference to your question on the GMT as compared to the Minelab 4000, I have used the GMT extensively at Franconia and it has preformed quite well. The basalt will cause problems to anyone new to the strewnfield, those problems are short lived once you become acquainted with the response of a true target and the various basalts and hot rocks. A 5 to 10 gram piece of H chondrite is always nice to have as a throw down to familiarize yourself with the sould it makes. I have not used the 4000, but have used my GP3000 with both the 14" and 9" NF E-mono coils. Target ID is much easier with the Minelab GP`s than with the GMT. Reading reports by those that have used the 4000 at Franconia, leads me to believe that it handles the hot rock situation quite well. Bill S, Roger D., and Denny are among those that have given good reports on the use of the 4000 in the Franconia strewnfield.

I do not know of anyone that gives guided hunts at Franconia on a schedule or appointment basis, but there are quite a few qualified individuals that will point you in the right direction and teach you the meteorite hunting basics. If you by chance catch me in the field, I will help you all I can.

There are no designated campgrounds, dry camping on any BLM land is permissable south of the highway. Some people camp between the highway and the RR tracks.

Jim

I got my DVD in the mail yesturday. Thanks Wayne for the fast shipping. I emailed Wayne because I needed to know what the shipping costs were and here is the video at my door the next day. Thank you! I watched the DVD 3 times last night and plan to watch it three more time tonight. If anyone is planning to hunt at Franconia I would recommend this video. Could not be better timing on the release for me as I will be down there some time next month. If you expert meteorite hunters has a choice between using a new Minelab 4000 or a White's GMT, which one would you use? Are the basalt boulders hot because the 4000 is supposed to handle them well? Do any of the experts due guided hunts at Franconia? Are there any campgrounds in the area? Thanks.

Take Care,

Matt

There is 1 campground called Black Mountain RV Park on hwy 66 and it is 4 miles away as a crow flies but driving makes it a good 18 - 20 miles because you have to take 40 east to 66 then back down towards Oatman 9 miles to the campground. It only has 10 or 15 sites I believe but they are well equiped with bathrooms, showers, laundry room, electric and sewer hookups. We stayed there in December and they only charged us $15 a night. We have also dry camped south of 40 on Franconia offramp on a flat area on top of the hill as soon as you go up the hill on the dirt road about 1/4 mile after the asphalt ends. Fun place and lots of rocks including agates on the north side of the railroad tracks.

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I watched the Meteorite Hunting DVD this past Saturday and we enjoyed it. We have never hunted meteorites before but it looks like fun to us.

I have a question for Wayne Holmes or Paleface. I was wondering what month you guys filmed the DVD? I would particularly like to know if you encounter the rattlesnakes and scorpions during the winter months? I paid close attention to the warnings about the snakes. :wink2: Thanks for an informative DVD.

Sandy

I ain't sure but I think they filmed in November, I have hunted out there since December and have not seen any snakes and only a few lizzards, no scorpions at all.

I think as long as you watch where ya step, be aware of your surroundings and pay attention when poking under bushes you will be fine.

If there is a time you folks might get to Franconia give me a shout, I live in Kingman and can pop down for a hunt :icon_mrgreen: Always looking for an excuse to hunt. I would be happy to meet folks in person from the forum.

I ain't sure but I think they filmed in November, I have hunted out there since December and have not seen any snakes and only a few lizzards, no scorpions at all.

I think as long as you watch where ya step, be aware of your surroundings and pay attention when poking under bushes you will be fine.

If there is a time you folks might get to Franconia give me a shout, I live in Kingman and can pop down for a hunt :icon_mrgreen: Always looking for an excuse to hunt. I would be happy to meet folks in person from the forum.

AZdigger:

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a plan and it would be good to meet some of you guys too. When we get out to that area, hopefully next winter, we will surely let you know so we can hunt together.

Sandy

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I watched the Meteorite Hunting DVD this past Saturday and we enjoyed it. We have never hunted meteorites before but it looks like fun to us.

I have a question for Wayne Holmes or Paleface. I was wondering what month you guys filmed the DVD? I would particularly like to know if you encounter the rattlesnakes and scorpions during the winter months? I paid close attention to the warnings about the snakes. :wink2: Thanks for an informative DVD.

Sandy

Sandy,

We filmed in November. Yes, you can encounter both the rattlesnakes and scorpions in the winter months. It somewhat depends on what elevation you are at, and what the temperature is at the time. Above 5000 feet most of the winter, you are quite safe. I have seen rattlesnakes in the lower elevations all winter. They will sometimes lay out in the sun on warm days and are usually very sluggish. I really do not worry about them at all during Dec, Jan, and Feb as an encounter is very rare. Scorpions hibernate during the real cold months but you do have to be aware that when digging, you could unearth one. I just pay close attention if I am sifting through any diggings with my bare hands. When hunting meteorites, use a meteorite cane as you saw me do in the DVD, this will eliminate the bare hand sifting.

Glad that you enjoyed the DVD. Good luck out there......

Jim

Sandy,

We filmed in November. Yes, you can encounter both the rattlesnakes and scorpions in the winter months. It somewhat depends on what elevation you are at, and what the temperature is at the time. Above 5000 feet most of the winter, you are quite safe. I have seen rattlesnakes in the lower elevations all winter. They will sometimes lay out in the sun on warm days and are usually very sluggish. I really do not worry about them at all during Dec, Jan, and Feb as an encounter is very rare. Scorpions hibernate during the real cold months but you do have to be aware that when digging, you could unearth one. I just pay close attention if I am sifting through any diggings with my bare hands. When hunting meteorites, use a meteorite cane as you saw me do in the DVD, this will eliminate the bare hand sifting.

Glad that you enjoyed the DVD. Good luck out there......

Jim

Thanks Sandy for the great review and purchase. Thanks Jim for the info. Excellent!!

Wayne

Excellent Job Guys,

Really enjoyed the DVD and recommend it to anyone that wants a great education on how to hunt space rocks!

Bill

Bill

I have been holding my breath since I mailed your copy Jan 4. Thanks for the Great Review. All the guys were fantastic and I only hope Myke Ray can make enough profit to purchase a metal detector. Myke did this for 150+ hrs :grrr01: :grrr01: in editing the piece. Myke talked me into it after months of phone calls and a whole bunch of not in this life time answers. What a great bunch of guys on camera for the future of the Sport?Hobby?Addiction? Thanks again for the forum and all those who always lend help for the new folks coming on board.

Wayne

Bill and Wayne,

Much thanks to both of you. I read these forums on a daily basis and would not have ever known about hunting for space rocks if not for the meteorite section of this forum. I thought it would be kind of different than hunting for gold. I now find myself watching this DVD over and over and wanting to make a special trip down to AZ just to find a space rock. I have to start a meteorite collection and now I think about meteorites as much as I do gold! My wife thinks that I am crazy! I love this hobby!

Take Care,

Matt

Whaaa HOOOO I just got my copy and watched it twice......man did I learn a lot.

Wayne that is some great job ya did there.... :wubu: That is what any beginer needs. I sure wished I would have had the DVD before I started hunting....might have known what I was looking for .

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent Job Guys,

Really enjoyed the DVD and recommend it to anyone that wants a great education on how to hunt space rocks!

Bill

Hi Bill,

First post in a long time for me. How does one get the Franconia DVD? Thanks.

Darryl

Darryl, just contact Mobilholmes. That is the person that produced this DVD and what a GREAT dvd it is.

THANKS RICK AGAIN FOR THE INFO TO DARRYL. THE NEW EBAY # IS 160080032002. OR JUST TYPE IN METEORITE HUNTING FRANCONIA STREWN FIELD. THE DVD IS ALSO ON GOOGLE FOR THE SAME SEARCH AND WILL POP UP THE ITEM. TODD AND I HUNTED THE FIELD ON THURS AND FOUND PIECES ON THE NORTH AS WELL AS SOUTH AND I FOUND A SPLATTERED L-CLASS STONE. STILL LOTS OF FRAGMENTS AROUND. THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST DARRYL.

GOOD HUNTING EVERYONE.

MOBILE HOLMES

I received the dvd and watched it saturday. You guys did a real nice job, my wife thought it was very interesting as well and she never shows an interest in my hobbies. :icon_mrgreen: I hope you guys didn't start something there :POsmiley01: :tisc-tisc: Anyways thanks and well done, Take care, Jeff.

Better watch out BigJeff, the missus may just take an interest and start making you go out :mm: :mm: ! Might work out to your advantage in the long run. :shhhhh:

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi :cigar:

• 7 months later...