Nugget Shooter Forums

I hear meteorites are worth a good deal of money ....

who do you sell them to? I think I may of found one 1.8 lbs guessing 815 grams, I'm taking it to have it checked. If I were successful at finding them regularly, is this something I could make a decent living doing? I detect old coins, I'm good at research, I enjoy doing it and it's not uncommon for me to detect for 12-14 straight hours. I just enjoy doing it that much and I would absolutetly love to do it and this for a living. Detecting isn't a hobby for me it's more of an addiction. Guess, what I'm asking is, if I regularly make decent finds of meteorites, is there a market for them to the point of selling enough to live on? :feedback:

I don't know if you could make a living at it but I know there are a lot of addicted hunter out there.

I have yet to find a meteor but I plan on ending that at The Franconia Outing. this outing is free and open to any who want to attend.

There will be some very informed folks at this outing and if there is a chance you can make it then

I would think most all of you questions could be answered.

There are several threads on this sight about the outing, one even has directions.

These outings are always fun and I find them very informative.

There aren't many people making a living from Finding meteorites...lets assume you require $50,000- a year to maintain your standard-of-living, then lets assume you can get at least $2- a gram for the meteorites you find...you will need 25,000 grams per year or 55 pounds of sold meteorites. Yes, I know rare meteorites are worth much more; a lunar, a martian or a new pallasite could make you millions but first you have to find it, then, most likely defend it from being taken by the government or the owner of the land you find it on...do some research before you quit your Day Job.............hunting meteorites, coins or gold is a great hobby........

Fred

a small math error was edited out of the original post

• 1 year later...
then, most likely defend it from being taken by the government or the owner of the land you find it on...

Fred

I have asked this question a while back on another thread, but I am reposting it here in case some of you didn't see it.

Who do you think would own a meteorite if it crashed in an apartment? the renter or the owner of the building?

thanks in advance

Is there going to be another unscheduled Franconia outing soon? I know that a small group is meeting on the 16th but was unaware of an outing.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Is there going to be another unscheduled Franconia outing soon? I know that a small group is meeting on the 16th but was unaware of an outing.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Stan... have a look at the date of the original post (Dec 8, 2006), so this one's a little old.

Del

• 3 weeks later...

Meteorites are worth a ton of money! The top dealers make well over $200,000 per year. They are able to jump on a plane at a moments notice and go into a witnessed fall with pockets full of cash buying meteorites for pennies per gram and then selling them for thousands of dollars per gram. Take the example of Michael Farmer and the Cali fall. He flew in to Cali, Columbia and bought all the meteorites that fell into the barrio. Paid a few thousand dollars, and flew back to the United States where he wholesaled most of them to other dealers for upwards of $1,000 per gram. Mike Blood is selling a 4 gram piece that he bought from Mike Farmer for $15,000 or almost $4,000 per gram. Are you beginning to see the picture? Meteorites that fall are sometimes worth their weight in diamonds! Interesting. You could make a very very comfortable living with just one fall.

Randall

Hi there, as always I try to see both sides of the situation and from that kind of logic, I wouldn't give up your day job just yet. The one thing your counting on is a find or a fall. Which, IMHO, could or could not happen. I think the question goes as far back as the Gold Rush, could you make it as a prospector and be on easy street the rest of my life??? The answer to many of the 'ol timers question was sure I can do it, and some did, but the vast majority didn't. Granted, there is a market for meteorites and the trend seems to be gaining popularity, but counting on it as a living, well I'm not there yet...just my :twocents: (I think Fredmason put it into perspective pretty well)

Jason :;):

Hi Digitrich and All

Value on space rocks varies a lot primarily by supply and demand . Some common abundant material may sell for a lot less than a dollar a gram yet similar common material without the abundency may sell for several dollars a gram. Rare types of material may sell for $1000's per gram but the odds are similar to that of a lottary ticket. Even faily rare material's value can be destroyed by poor marketing by dumping lots on the market at once !!

Here's my take on value of common ordinary chondrites.

The hunter sells them in bulk to a dealer at 25 to 50 cents per gram.

The dealer slices , prepares and markets them at a buck or 2 a gram.

Most of them end up in some curio cabinet or desk drawer forgotten in a couple years.

I hunt and donate to universities for study to help understand where humanity has come from and is going too or I place my finds on display at planetariums and museums for public display preserving those pieces for generations to see learn and enjoy. Priceless

Happy Huntin John B.