Nugget Shooter Forums

FRANCONIA IRON "METEORITE" CREDIBILITY ISSUE

All meteorite collectors need to be aware of the credibility issue that this whole “Franconia Iron” thing presents. If folks are selling scrap iron as meteorites, it affects all of us that do not...and those are legitimate concerns. No scientific proof of meteoritic origin has yet to be been presented for these specimens, even after 3 years of field collection by numerous individuals. Some of those collectors still resist consideration of a 106 year old head-on train wreck at their “strewn filed” hunting grounds.

The primary issue now being argued is the finding of iron fragments at long distances from the train tracks. How could a train wreck distribute fragments this far away? Consider this...a 30-06 caliber round develops a chamber pressure of 58,000 psi. Boiler plate with a 60,000 psi tensile strength being compressed to the point of exploding is the kind of energy under consideration. How far would a 30-06 rifle shot fly from the railroad tracks given a 45 degree trajectory? This is a comparison that should make sense to many of the field collectors. Hopefully this information is being given due consideration instead of dismissing it off hand due to denial for some personal reasons like “I have a bunch already.” If fragments have been sold as “meteorites” then the seller should be able to prove it. If not, credibility is a major issue for all involved.

Now if this "strewn field" was not adjacent to 100+ year old railroad tracks, and there wasn't a head on collision RIGHT WHERE EVERONE IS LOOKING....well maybe I'd consider going to the area and collecting some for myself. Better yet, if someone were to offer a piece of a classified specimen of “Franconia Iron”, I’d be happy to pay market price to add it to my collection. That way I wouldn’t have to risk being hit by a train to collect my own! TOOT TOOT!

ASTROBLEME

AFAIK the tracks are at the lowest altitude between 2 washes. I think you were talking about water possibly haven transported some iron earlier. You should find a higher concentration near the tracks then. And where are all the larger twisted iron train fragments? Or did the train shatter like safety glass?

I think Occam's razor does not favor your theory but favors others floating around (i.e. many ARE meteorites).

Hi all,

Well so far I've read one theory, and read some documentation about the train wreck. The one thing that seems to be fact is that about 1901 there was a train wreck around 2 miles west side area outside of Franconia. ASTROBLEME as a seintific researcher, you should know the difference between theory and proven scientific fact.... at this time, I have not seen anything to lead me to conclude that the two events are connected. Yes your theory may account for a small percentage of the meteorite wrongs found in the area of the wreck, But still doesn't explain the finds from the rest of the Franconia area. I do enjoy reading and learning about meteorites as I expect others fallowing the meteorite forum do. Who knows maybe some day we'll get lucky enough to find a meteorite and with the help of these posts have a chance to recognise it, instead of chucking it thinking it is just another hot rock..... :hmmmmm: ASTROBLEME now I pose a new theory to you..... do you suppose that it is possible for more than one meteorite's strewn field to overlap durring the earths estimated 4 and a half billion year life time? :hmmmmm:

• 1 year later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Pete Meyers and Jim Smaller for properly documenting an ungrouped iron meteorite from the Franconia area. Their find made on May 18th, 2004 was approved on the 14th of January, 2008. It took almost 4 years to classify their discovery and I am glad to finally see their success.

While many more specimens are likely to be paired with the Sacramento Wash 005, caution must be used when claiming that classification. I have little doubt that some "FRANCONIA IRON" will be marketed as SaW 005. The total mass of SaW 005 is 52.3 grams from which a total of 11.35 grams of type specimen was retained by the University of Arizona.

Here's a Google Earth image with the find coordinates plotted for the Meyers and Smaller specimens. The approved meteorite samples were collected more than 5 miles away from the Franconia Train Wreck site!

ASTROBLEME

post-1467-1200768858_thumb.jpg

you are... dun dun dun.... a crazy, crazy fool!

oh my, i said it!

ASSTROBLEME you should join the yahoo meteorite hunter's group.

there you will find a 100,000,000 word conversations with lots of theories

that would disprove the irons that peeled out of the chondrite. Rob Matson

makes some great points that make alot more sense then your silly theories.

He actually did his research.

you havn't even been there. That just makes me laugh, so, so hard.

At least Rob has been to Franconia, even if he has never actually

found an iron.

[Erik]

you are... dun dun dun.... a crazy, crazy fool!

oh my, i said it!

ASSTROBLEME you should join the yahoo meteorite hunter's group.

there you will find a 100,000,000 word conversations with lots of theories

that would disprove the irons that peeled out of the chondrite. Rob Matson

makes some great points that make alot more sense then your silly theories.

He actually did his research.

you havn't even been there. That just makes me laugh, so, so hard.

At least Rob has been to Franconia, even if he has never actually

found an iron.

[Erik]

Erik:

Thanks for your opinion.

Johnny

First there was no great explosion.

Second the wreck was 4 miles West of

any where people hunt meteorites.

Plus Jim Smaller is one of my most

trusted friends,and he knows what a

metorite looks like. I had the great

pleasure of holding and looking at some

of his finds. There is no way they could

be confused with train parts,or any other

minerals of the local kind.

Third he has proved that they are in fact

metorites.

Your train theory makes about as much

sense as Al Gores crap.

I have all the train wreck documents and

court records. Non of them even come close

to what you claim.

I really needed a laugh today, so thanks guys for this one. :laught16:

Erik: What can I say But, BOOYAH!!!!!! :brows: :cool04:

Theories, schmeories. With a couple of Bayer aspirin bottles full of Franconia irons I sure hope to find a "train wreckage piece" one day but I doubt it will happen as all of my finds were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there away from the tracks.

Have a good day folks and Alooooooha,

Stan aka Kaimi :mog:

Yeah your telling me that everyone who has a bottle of irons is saving them because they think they're train parts? haha