Nugget Shooter Forums

Three weekends, Three strewn fields.....METEORITES!!!

Hi All,

Holbrook, Glorieta and Red Lake(OK technically Red Lake probably isn't much of a strewn field but you get the picture.)

A few weekends ago I hunted Holbrook with some good friends and great hunters, John Blennart, Bill Southern, and Earl Hammond. We did O.K. and found some cool little extra terrestrial stones.

Here's a link to some pictures of that hunt.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/meteoritemal...emall/my_photos

Then last weekend on a spur of the moment jaunt up to Glorieta. Stan Wall, Earl Hammond, Jim Kriegh and Myself picked up a few Pallasites and Siderites!

This weekend I was supposed to head up to Kingman Az. where I was going to spend most of the day buying, and trading meteorites with a friend. I finished up early so I decided to hit Red Lake. When I got there I thought I'd do something different and hunt an area I had never hit. A spot where as far as I know no meteorites have been found. To my surprise within 3 hours we found 3 meteorites! I had found two and my son found one.

I think next week I'm gonna buy a lottery ticket......couldn't hurt right?

Ruben Garcia

Good finds..................

Red Lake has been on my mind since the start of summer, but, it's just to darn hot for me to do that summer time hiking. Right now is my starting point and all winter will be devoted to hunting space rocks. Well ........maby a few gold trips too. Congrats :thumbsupanim

Hi all,

Metal detectors don't work very well on a dry lake bed. First of all the soil is highly mineralized, second the meteorites are small and on the surface. When there is 30 + square miles to hunt its much easier to do it visually. However, there is a lot of gound that is good hunting with a metal detector around Kingman.

Ruben

Hey Ruben, I have to say you inspired me with your finds and pic of the dry lake bed. After I read your post I jumped in the jeep and went to a dry lake bed in 29 palms to hunt. Hunting for about 2 1/2 hours and didnt get anything :cry2: . I think it was not a good dry lake bed to hunt.The ground was to fluffy, when you took a step my boot went down about 3". O well cant find them unless you get out there and look. Post like your helps me to get off my butt and try LOL! :ROFL:

Hey Mike,

I get in trouble every once in a while from other meteorite hunters in the know. Some think I give away too many secrets. I like helping others to do what I do! I know how much fun (and profitable) this can be.

I'm glad you're out looking. Study insitu pictures make sure you know what a meteorite looks like and then get out there!

Ruben Garcia

Howdy Ruben,

Congratulations on your possible new find! I for one thank you for sharing some of your experiences and knowledge with us and it seems every time you say something I learn from it ;)

I will have to get out the glasses and cane one of these days and take a stroll on Red Lake...

You and Sonny just amaze me :wubu:

Good hunting, Bill

• 8 years later...

Howdy All... Great information, This is an old post that should not be lost in the sands of time.

Since there are hundreds of so called dry lakes and each having the potential to be a new find,

By now it no longer a secret that a distribution ellipse can cover many miles and yield thousands

of meteorites.

Also it is becoming well known tha thousands of micrometeorites/magnetics can be recovered;

such as Nininger did while using a 3-lb pull alnico magnet attached to a stick around the rim of

the Arizona meteor crater and separated spheroids which he deemed to have been created as

a result of the sudden fragmentation occurring when the massive meteoritic iron struck and

penetrated into the ground forming a massive 3/4 mile cavity. Nininger also used his now famous

stick to check out ant hills at Holbrook and collected minute stony chondrites.

The most common meteorites that fall to earth are the Stony chondrites and they best survive

in the dry regions such as the vast deserts within the Earth. Thus the desert playa saline dry lakes

are found to be good landing strips for them. However being low iron they are weakly magnetic;

so much for using a magnetic stick. Since the dry lakes are a product formed by the intermountain

basins having no outlet, they become brackish shallow ponds; their source is from the weathering

away of the surrounding mountain highlands. The streams feeding the suspended clay and silt are

known as arroyos and often dry. The playas the arroyos serve also dry out forming a dry surface;

but they may be wet under their crust; being alkaline a VLF- type detector may not able to handle

the salt; and in some areas a stony meteorite can, and has been mistaken for what is known as a

"hot rock" and some stones only whisper a signal and remain undetected.

Other areas are rich in terrestrial igneous rocks containing abundant iron rich magnesian minerals

and can be mistaken for a stone and rusty-iron products are often known as meter-wrongs.

However new areas are being found... and being first to "sight" a fall may yield handfuls of the

lowest amount of stony chondrites containing nickel-iron... so being first is everything. And the

over-zealous regulators are very busy locating new areas in their efforts to create new National

Parks... So get out while you can...

But... Gosh all I have posted in reviving this earlier thread you-all already know...