Nugget Shooter Forums

Update on Brenham Kansas Hunt

That doe's it!

I'm buying a backhoe :miner: and moving to Kansas with Dorthy and Toto! :P

Actually I lived in Wichita for 15 years and graduated from high school there in the 60's.

The best part about Kansas ..........was seeing it in my rear view mirror. :thumbsupanim

Didn't know I was living such a short distance from a 6 million dollar rock! :grr01:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve

I don't really know ?? As far as I been told nothing serious yet !! It funny the 1400 lber has a security guard there at all times . I guess they are worried someone pick it up and run with it ?? To top it off the security guards are all fish and game officers ?? Maybe Steve is worried it will end up a fishing weight or boat anchor ?? Happy Huntin John B.

It funny the 1400 lber has a security guard there at all times . I guess they are worried someone pick it up and run with it ??

John B:

99% of the people will just look. It's the other 1% you've got to worry about. I don't think anybody had any ideas about stealing it or anything- at least not in broad daylight. But I can imagine a few people possibly trying to chip off a piece or two or somehow deface it. It has happened in the past with unguarded exhibitions.

Steve

Hi John B:

I know this is going to sound like a dumb a.. question but how do you sample an iron meteorite?. If I was to find what I thought was a large iron and someone requested a little sample for testing- would I have to saw it off- try chipping it off - or what? I do have a couple around here - but I don't want to damage it any of them. Believe it or not there was a guy in Nevada who thought he found one and first tried to saw it - then used a torch to try and cut it. Turns out it was a large piece of tungsten.

Steve

Hi John B-

Your silence is deafening. :cry2: I was hoping their was a way to get the required 20-30 gram sample without having to slice a big chunk of it off and ruin the aesthetics. I guess it can't be avoided if someone needs to have something classified.

Steve :spinnin:

Hi Steve and All

Yesterday I took Mick too see the whopper Steve Arnold found and tooo my shock it was gone :whaaaa: ???? His room was closed :( ?? I hope it hasn't walked off :shrug: ?? I think it has been moved and will be on display in the convention center :hmmmmm: ?? Steve the best thing to do with a potential iron space rock is take about a gram of material cut or chipped off of it and have it asseyed for ni. If the assey is high enough the labs will work on it. As far as Brenhams there are a number of dealers selling smaller slices of it. Steve A has a room full of smaller pieces for sale as well . But I don't think you will ever get a cut off the whopper unless he can't sell it as one piece ?? Then and only then it may see the blade end of a big ass saw :cry2: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Hi John B:

I too - would like to see the Brenham kept in one piece - but lets face it - other people don't always have the same appreciation we do for such objects. I have no doubt that if it looked like a nice Shikote Alin or the Cabin Creek meteorite- it would have sold a long time ago. In a way I think he might come out better financially if he were to slice it up and sell individual pieces. :cry2: Of course he would have to wait a really long time before he came close to selling all of it . :unsure: With proper marketing though - it might take lot less time then I think. ;)

Steve

We got to see The Big Brenham on Sunday in The Convention Center, it was marvelous! We really enjoyed meeting the Arnolds too, what genuinely nice people they are. I'm very thankful that they were willing to move it half-way across the country for the public to see.

Ben

• 1 year later...
Hi Guys:

I think the 1400 Brenham pallisite is going up for auction at Bonhams on Oct 28th. I can't get onto Bonhans website for some technical reason to verify it. If true- it should be very interesting to see what this brings.

Steve

In an email to the Meteorite List, Darryl Pitt confirmed that the 1,400lb Brenham found by Steve Arnold will be offered at the Bonham auction.

John

• 2 years later...