Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Recommended Posts

Thanks Morlock,

 It took a lot of hours to find, but persistence pays off! Here are a few more pics of it.

CEF5A54D-E9B8-4C3E-91F4-C514ECEFDACB.jpeg

4EB1EBEC-D869-49F7-B081-68340D48A8F0.jpeg

8E57994B-7C4B-44E5-BFE0-1920B0422F45.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was this area part of a strewn field? I only saw two others from the area on the directory.  Nice find, great weather for a day to look for them also!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Au,

 I’m not positive on the strewn fields, but according to Bob Verish’s website they have found many different stones representing about 12 or more falls so far. You can see them listed as “LV”.

https://bolidechaser.tripod.com/lucerne/lucerne.htm

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for that reference! Interesting part about the site: 1 fall per square KM? You did very well!

C7AFE8B1-D488-4182-AB73-D2188AE586C5.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I often wonder which dry lake produced the largest meteorite find. Perhaps one weighing pounds...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea Coyote seems like the place with the most/biggest finds. Planning on hitting it in a few weeks after the weather cools down. Others include Harper DL, Danby DL, Silver DL, and others. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 8:13 AM, Skjerve85 said:

Yea Coyote seems like the place with the most/biggest finds. Planning on hitting it in a few weeks after the weather cools down. Others include Harper DL, Danby DL, Silver DL, and others. 

One theory I read about why Coyote DL has more meteorites was due to its developmental history- the way it’s prevailing winds carried away top soil and the way it flooded  during the Pleistocene was more conducive to exposing and preserving ancient meteorites than what was happening at other dry lakes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 8:13 AM, Skjerve85 said:

Yea Coyote seems like the place with the most/biggest finds. Planning on hitting it in a few weeks after the weather cools down. Others include Harper DL, Danby DL, Silver DL, and others. 

They were all hot spots 20 years ago, but now all but hunted out.  The occasional crumb still surfaces, but the days of filling milk crates with bread loaf sized meteorites (which they did at Coyote) are long gone.

My friend got really lucky a Coyote a few years back, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last multi-kilogram find to come from any dry lake in the region: Meteoritical Bulletin: Entry for Coyote Dry Lake 349 (usra.edu).

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/8/2022 at 11:30 AM, Mikestang said:

Several multi-pounders came off Coyote Dry Lake.  I think CyDl might be king.

How large is Coyote Dry Lake  compared to other dry lakes? Perhaps that's a factor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coyote is about 10 sq miles I would guess. I found this map that shows how many are out here. I know of a few more tiny ones as well.

4CF19F86-1FAC-41C4-8627-E0F516391B99.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Mikestang said:

They were all hot spots 20 years ago, but now all but hunted out.  The occasional crumb still surfaces, but the days of filling milk crates with bread loaf sized meteorites (which they did at Coyote) are long gone.

My friend got really lucky a Coyote a few years back, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last multi-kilogram find to come from any dry lake in the region: Meteoritical Bulletin: Entry for Coyote Dry Lake 349 (usra.edu).

That’s a nice find by your buddy Mike, and yea I bet ones that big are super hard to find these days. It must have been badass back in the day when you could find chunkers as big as bread loafs!. I used to drive past Coyote DL for years while working at Ft. Irwin but never knew about the meteorites. Hopefully there’s still a few crumbs lying around out at some of these playas.👍 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Skjerve85 said:

That’s a nice find by your buddy Mike, and yea I bet ones that big are super hard to find these days. It must have been badass back in the day when you could find chunkers as big as bread loafs!. I used to drive past Coyote DL for years while working at Ft. Irwin but never knew about the meteorites. Hopefully there’s still a few crumbs lying around out at some of these playas.👍 

You know they are everywhere… some areas where bedrock is exposed and off color from what typical meteorites are such as granite may be places to search- look at the Old Woman Mtns meteorite for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hit Lucerne dry lake this morning. Didn’t find any space rocks, BUT.. did find an arrowhead (at least I think). What do you guys think?

9F4AA10D-EBB5-4C3B-AD08-372E836E7568.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...