Nugget Shooter Forums

Possible Silver?

Hey guys. Wasn't sure whether to post this in a metal detecting forum or here but this is what I found while metal detecting. It has no markings, it's malleable, you can scratch it with your fingernail, and it's fairly shiney and even shinier when you scratch it. Also, when I held a strong magnet up to it, it barely was attracted.20220805_170318.jpg It doesn't feel light like aluminum so I was wondering what anyone else thought about it. Thanks for the help.20220805_165736.jpg20220805_165821.jpg

It looks like a Babbitt metal bearing shell. The physical characteristic description matches Babbitt metal.

Babbitt metal is common, was used extensively since 1840 and is still used today in many applications including vehicle engines. Your bearing shell could be from an 1850 wagon wheel, a WWII jeep or a modern farm implement. Only with context could we even guess what original use or time period it was left behind from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 1

thank you both for your insight. I do think that it could be Babbitt metal after researching it a bit. I had never heard of Babbitt metal until now, so thank you much.

Also, if anyone was curious, this was found on land that had been used for farming for many generations.

• Like 1