Nugget Shooter Forums

Lucerne Valley Dry Lake

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum after years of reading posts from you all. I have been beeping nuggets with my GB2 for a few years now but have recently got into trying to find a chondrite. Long story short, after about 6 trips to the dry lake near my house, I believe I might have found one? It is very magnetic (even sticks to a fridge magnet), it seems to have fusion crust and a slight crack on the edge and seems to also have some regmaglypts on the outside. I am just an amateur and was just curious if someone could tell me if what I have is legit? Photos below and thank you all in advance for any help or comments.

Found 7/23/22

7 grams

(First two are in situ)

Sorry if the pictures are crappy, I can take other photos if needed.

METEORITE.jpg

METEORITE3.jpg

METEORITE2.jpg

Edited by Skjerve85
messed up the pics
  • Like 1

That is what I look for with my Meteorite hunting tools = see thread  ,    Have you exposed the inside ?   would like Photo of the inside .

4 hours ago, xracer550 said:

That is what I look for with my Meteorite hunting tools = see thread  ,    Have you exposed the inside ?   would like Photo of the inside .

I have not exposed the inside, but I would love to. Any tips on how exactly to do that? It is rather small and I do not want to damage it. Like I said I am new to meteorite hunting so any helpful info on how to expose the inside without screwing up the stone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Kendall

A grinder, sand paper, sander, file, any of the mentioned will work It doesn’t de-value the meteorite but adds value. I know sounds funny but that’s how we know whether it can be one or not. 

Jayray

16 hours ago, Jayray said:

A grinder, sand paper, sander, file, any of the mentioned will work It doesn’t de-value the meteorite but adds value. I know sounds funny but that’s how we know whether it can be one or not. 

Jayray

Thanks Jayray,

I will try it out and post some pics as soon as I can. 

Ok I tried sanding it down with a dremel and here are the results. Pics shot through a hand lens 10x.

C8E69EB2-D44B-45B8-BB77-F1395C458F27.jpeg

397E2E9E-929E-4544-B4F3-D297E8C18695.jpeg

29233CDD-CDEB-4896-800F-6FA9969A6A0C.jpeg

Some sand paper or a whet stone would probably file a better window than a dremel, but may be better to have a look at this one in person.