Nugget Shooter Forums

What is this rock?

Hi,

A friend had reached out to me from Iran to help him identify this rock. He found it in somewhere north of Iran and in a rocky area (as per photo). He sent me random photos and also a youtube video of him using a diamond detector on the rock. He believe that he has a valuable rock because it is being detected as diamond by the diamond tester. 

Here is his Youtube video:

https://youtu.be/Wag-ekaEsJM

Few information he told me about the rock:

- it is not magnetic
- it does have a burning smell
- it is melting ice 10 times faster (he simply placed an ice on top of the rock, and it got melted much faster comparing to an ice left next to it).. dont have much details on this though.

What is this rock? and is it really a diamond?

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

r5.jpg

r6.jpg

r7.jpg

r8.jpg

Defiantly NOT a Dimond.  Looks like a discarded piece of metal alloy.  The second from the last photo of a polished section shows interlocking metal lattice.  I have no idea what metal alloy it could be.

OK, thanks! Someone told him that the rock is californium.. Is it possible that this is californium? It seems that californium is man-made. 

Thanks again for your help!

I doubt that it's "Californium",  Californium would be silvery/white, not black.

That being said if it was Californium your friend would be in trouble because it's radioactive and it bioaccumulates (becomes concentrated) in the skeletal system and disrupts the formation of red blood cells!! :yikes: :th_panic:

• wow 1

15 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

I doubt that it's "Californium",  Californium would be silvery/white, not black.

That being said if it was Californium your friend would be in trouble because it's radioactive and it bioaccumulates (becomes concentrated) in the skeletal system and disrupts the formation of red blood cells!! :yikes: :th_panic:

I will inform him.  :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

On top of that, Californium is not found in nature in significant amounts. Its most stable isotope has a half life of only 898 years.

• Like 1