Nugget Shooter Forums

Tuesday, May 31, 2022 METEOR STORM - Tau Herculids

The 'most powerful meteor storm in generations' could light up skies above North America next week.

Fragments of dying comet SW3 are predicted to be visible from the United States and parts of Canada when the Earth crosses through its orbital path on Tuesday.

The SW3 comet, full name 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3, is responsible for the fragments of dust that causes meteor shower Tau Herculids. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10861055/Most-powerful-meteor-storm-generations-light-skies-North-America-early-week.html

Monday night 9:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Phoenix, AZ on May 30th. I'll be at a dark site 2 miles south of Vekol Road turn off and I-8.  My lifetime meteor count is 21,100 so far. My best one hour rate so far was 1551 during the Nov. 2001 Leonids with 390 seen in 8 minutes and 3557 the whole night. 

billpeters  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, billpeters said:

Monday night 9:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Phoenix, AZ on May 30th. I'll be at a dark site 2 miles south of Vekol Road turn off and I-8.  My lifetime meteor count is 21,100 so far. 

billpeters  

Darn it.... You beat me by 20,071.😉

• Like 1

Was my first meteor watching.  I saw 28 between, mostly between 830 and 945.  Stayed until 1030, and that’s when we saw the last four or five.

Fun time.

• Like 2

I have not seen a lot of shooting stars, but most were pretty short.  Less than the width of the moon.  Seemed slower.  One article I read said the material was traveling slower and might be dimmer.  I don’t think it was dimmer, but defintely shorter and not as quick.  Still fast,

What I saw was all “under” the Big Dipper, or to the west towards the setting sun, and the direction Of the trails was all to the west in the exact same direction.

55 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I have not seen a lot of shooting stars, but most were pretty short.  Less than the width of the moon.  Seemed slower.  One article I read said the material was traveling slower and might be dimmer.  I don’t think it was dimmer, but defintely shorter and not as quick.  Still fast,

What I saw was all “under” the Big Dipper, or to the west towards the setting sun, and the direction Of the trails was all to the west in the exact same direction.

If you had lived in Phoenix and viewed from there, do you think you could have seen any?

I think so. If you could see stars, you would have seen most of what I saw.

Even though the article I read say they would be dimmer because they were slower, most were brighter than stars, just a bit slower than what i expected from a meteor. 

What I saw was like this article:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/tau-herculids-meteor-shower-2022-8-photos-shared-by-skygazers/DNOYUFDU5BGVVEHDPTMMXKICOM/?outputType=amp

I do live in the Phoenix Valley but did go to the Wickemburg/Morristown area to view.

Watched from my back yard north of Prescott, in the high desert. 8 of them between 9;30 and 10. Most had short tails and not very bright. Not much more than the average desert night sky.