Nugget Shooter Forums

Black rock identification

Hey guys found this interesting rock in what appeared to be a lightning strike zone or possible meteorite impact site . I found large amounts of what would appear to be exogenic fulgurite and several structurally altered forms of metal surrounding the immediate area of this stone . The rock is one solid crystaline type stone as in has no layers, is ferrous( strongly attracts a magnet evenly throughout). The rock is smooth and sorta a teardrop shape . Its is greasy in luster and somewhat sligtly transluscent and lt has speckly metal flake looking into it . Its non uv reactive and is very dense and hard . I have scratch tested it to rule out hematite and magnetite. It appears to be primarily comprised of chromite and olivine somewhat ressembling chromitic serpentinite . This guy could be a million things but as a long time hunter my hopes would be a olivine/chrome pallasite (unlikely i know but one can dream ) . Also before anyone mention it , no it did not have a fusion crust , wich i know is usualy an indicator but i need to leave the possibility open as not all meteorites have fusion crust and I live in canada where the extreme climate often erode fusion crust. Found in Ontario, Canada 

Thoughts ,ideas? 

Any comments or possible identifications appreciated :)

Also anyone know where reliable nickel test kit could be purchased.

20220223_172859.jpg

20220223_172850.jpg

20220223_170117.jpg

20220223_165834.jpg

20220223_165545.jpg

20220223_165531.jpg

20220223_165501.jpg

20220223_165412.jpg

20220223_165359.jpg

20220223_165339.jpg

20220223_165311.jpg

20220222_105806.jpg

20220222_105752.jpg

20220222_105734.jpg

20220222_010726.jpg

Its a Gniess (metamorphic rock type).  Seen lots of these in the creek beds of Georgia near Atlanta when I was young.  No Chromite, no Olivine in this sample per the pics.  One pic seems to show some small Garnets.

Around Wickenburg AZ rocks with a green tint to similar to the shade in your pictures have trace amounts of Olivine, and certainly not gem grade.  The only way I can tell its Olivine is to put it under jewelers loupe at 40x or 60x and then the crystallization becomes apparent.  

You can get one of these loops delivered to your door off amazon for around $8.

What makes you think this is chromite?  That tends to be gray.  That could have some value for a large scale operation.

https://geology.com/minerals/chromite.shtml

I would think a XRF analysis would be pretty definitive.

• Like 1

I can guarantee the rock was not caused by a lightning strike.  What evidence do you have of a meteorite impact at the site?

I do not see any evidence of Olivine in the sample.  Looks like a typical metamorphic Gniess, which Ontario has in abundance being that it is the Canadian Shield province, the very core of the North American tectonic plate, and almost as old as the planet itself.   The sample has nothing worth spending money on for X-ray analysis or other costly geo-physical analysis.

Chromite is black in color, at least all the samples I have handled from across North America are.

Hey guys the rock is black i know the pictures might make it hard to tell but thats because my phones light is yellow it distorts colour a bit . I had not really thought of it being a gniess but thats also quite possible. Good observation. The parts that look brown are actualy a transluscent green again my camera is not the best for that stuff. I dont believe rhe rock was formed by lightning or caused by it i simply found it in a strike zone . The strike zone is a field which i do work in fairly often and the area has been struck many times due to the old horse farmer burrying old horseshoes and horse buggies and such and the heavy mineral content in the open clay/ sand area . Evidence of meteorite is hard to say its more likely just the aftermath of a fresher ligtning strike but the rock was in a shallow crater like rut next to a sorta blown up and burnt tree stump surounded by diffent formations of exogenic fulgurites. More then likely just the aftermath of a strike . The stone may have simply acted as conductor for the passage of energy due to its metal content . Also a cool find from this zone was a piece of alluminum that had fused with iron oxides in the sand following the path of a strike ill include a pic. And please before the classic" thats industrial slag "thing comes up its not. I was a steel worker / welder / fabricator for almost 10 yrs I know what slag looks like haha1654258485498253572593.jpg

3 hours ago, Kcchronic said:

Hey guys the rock is black i know the pictures might make it hard to tell but thats because my phones light is yellow it distorts colour a bit . I had not really thought of it being a gniess but thats also quite possible. Good observation. The parts that look brown are actualy a transluscent green again my camera is not the best for that stuff. I dont believe rhe rock was formed by lightning or caused by it i simply found it in a strike zone . The strike zone is a field which i do work in fairly often and the area has been struck many times due to the old horse farmer burrying old horseshoes and horse buggies and such and the heavy mineral content in the open clay/ sand area . Evidence of meteorite is hard to say its more likely just the aftermath of a fresher ligtning strike but the rock was in a shallow crater like rut next to a sorta blown up and burnt tree stump surounded by diffent formations of exogenic fulgurites. More then likely just the aftermath of a strike . The stone may have simply acted as conductor for the passage of energy due to its metal content . Also a cool find from this zone was a piece of alluminum that had fused with iron oxides in the sand following the path of a strike ill include a pic. And please before the classic" thats industrial slag "thing comes up its not. I was a steel worker / welder / fabricator for almost 10 yrs I know what slag looks like haha1654258485498253572593.jpg

This picture reminds me of the ant hill castings I've seen on the marketplace. Unusual find in any case.

• 3 weeks later...