Nugget Shooter Forums

First Meteorite Hunt: Success at Holbrook

I finally got out for my first meteorite hunt since moving to Arizona - thanks again to Eric who helped coordinate the trip and showing me the Holbrook strewnfield.

I got off work early this past Friday, left Phoenix/Scottsdale at 1:00 and got to Holbrook at 4. I met up with Eric and we hunted for a few hours... I didn't have any luck but had only hunted for 3 hours so didn't want to get my hopes up too much. That being said, it was really exciting knowing that I was in the right area, I knew that there were plenty of meteorites waiting to be found.

IMG-2110.jpg IMG-2111.jpg

We headed back into town, had dinner, watched the hockey game, and called it a night. We headed back to the strewnfield at 9 AM on Saturday. After we parked, I gravitated towards an area close to our vehicles that I really wanted to hunt more carefully. After 30 minutes of hunting, I had come up with my first meteorite! It was tiny, but it was rounded, fit the profile, and attracted a magnet. It was a sub-gram broken piece, but after closely examining it I knew 100% it was a Holbrook. I was ecstatic. 

We headed west and continued hunting for a couple hours (I didn't find anything for 5 hours). On our way back Eric found a nice piece very close to where I had found my first one. We headed back to our vehicles and had a quick snack/water (which Eric graciously provided... I was not as prepared as I should have been!) After fueling up Eric took off and wished me luck... I continued on and kept hunting for the last few hours. Around 2:00 I found my next piece, it was larger than the first and was mostly crusted. I couldn't believe it... I was lucky enough to find one, let alone two meteorites. But then I really got excited when I found 2 more pieces within 5 minutes of my 2nd find... I chuckled to myself and was glad I hunted this area. I had a good feeling about it and it was relatively easy to see the dark rocks against the light desert ground. That brought my total up to 4. I gave Eric a quick call and let him know how I excited I was and how cool it was finding these meteorites. 

This trip was all I could have asked for, Eric and I had some great weather for hunting (a little windy, but not bad) and I learned a ton about what meteorite hunting is all about... The biggest thing I found out was how many meteorwrongs there are out in the field... So many rocks that attract a magnet (lots of lava rocks, ballast near the railroad tracks, old bits of iron, bullets, etc, but upon closer inspection one can tell the difference). The other obvious fact that I learned is that meteorite hunting requires tons of patience and effort, and I mean TONS. They are incredibly rare rocks for a reason. I was disappointed after the first few hours but knew I had to put in more time in order to find success. My next hunts might not be the same result but it truly was fun and exciting being a part of that process. I'll definitely be getting out again soon.

Eric- thanks again for all of your help and expertise, looking forward to our next hunt together!!

-A.J.

IMG-2115.jpg

IMG-2121.jpg

IMG-2124.jpg

IMG-2125.jpg

IMG-2128.jpg

IMG-2131.jpg

• Like 4

Seemed like there was much less vegetation on the south side of the rail road tracks but still could barely find a rock over there. All finds came from the north side.  

520223.jpg

520222.jpg

520221.jpg

• Like 6

Nicely done, gentlemen!

Congrats on your first finds, A.J., my first find was also at Holbrook; it's a magical place.

• Like 3

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it! Yeah, Holbrook was a very cool place. Definitely got the itch to hunt some more strewnfields after this summer.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:22 AM, gaustad18 said:

I finally got out for my first meteorite hunt since moving to Arizona - thanks again to Eric who helped coordinate the trip and showing me the Holbrook strewnfield.

I got off work early this past Friday, left Phoenix/Scottsdale at 1:00 and got to Holbrook at 4. I met up with Eric and we hunted for a few hours... I didn't have any luck but had only hunted for 3 hours so didn't want to get my hopes up too much. That being said, it was really exciting knowing that I was in the right area, I knew that there were plenty of meteorites waiting to be found.

IMG-2110.jpg IMG-2111.jpg

We headed back into town, had dinner, watched the hockey game, and called it a night. We headed back to the strewnfield at 9 AM on Saturday. After we parked, I gravitated towards an area close to our vehicles that I really wanted to hunt more carefully. After 30 minutes of hunting, I had come up with my first meteorite! It was tiny, but it was rounded, fit the profile, and attracted a magnet. It was a sub-gram broken piece, but after closely examining it I knew 100% it was a Holbrook. I was ecstatic. 

We headed west and continued hunting for a couple hours (I didn't find anything for 5 hours). On our way back Eric found a nice piece very close to where I had found my first one. We headed back to our vehicles and had a quick snack/water (which Eric graciously provided... I was not as prepared as I should have been!) After fueling up Eric took off and wished me luck... I continued on and kept hunting for the last few hours. Around 2:00 I found my next piece, it was larger than the first and was mostly crusted. I couldn't believe it... I was lucky enough to find one, let alone two meteorites. But then I really got excited when I found 2 more pieces within 5 minutes of my 2nd find... I chuckled to myself and was glad I hunted this area. I had a good feeling about it and it was relatively easy to see the dark rocks against the light desert ground. That brought my total up to 4. I gave Eric a quick call and let him know how I excited I was and how cool it was finding these meteorites. 

This trip was all I could have asked for, Eric and I had some great weather for hunting (a little windy, but not bad) and I learned a ton about what meteorite hunting is all about... The biggest thing I found out was how many meteorwrongs there are out in the field... So many rocks that attract a magnet (lots of lava rocks, ballast near the railroad tracks, old bits of iron, bullets, etc, but upon closer inspection one can tell the difference). The other obvious fact that I learned is that meteorite hunting requires tons of patience and effort, and I mean TONS. They are incredibly rare rocks for a reason. I was disappointed after the first few hours but knew I had to put in more time in order to find success. My next hunts might not be the same result but it truly was fun and exciting being a part of that process. I'll definitely be getting out again soon.

Eric- thanks again for all of your help and expertise, looking forward to our next hunt together!!

-A.J.

IMG-2115.jpg

IMG-2121.jpg

IMG-2124.jpg

IMG-2125.jpg

IMG-2128.jpg

IMG-2131.jpg

Congrats on your finds.. You've got some nice ones. Gold Basin should be your next strewnfield to hunt. Be prepared for many blisters as it's nothing like Holbrook. 

• Like 1

Nugget Shooter, yes, persistence paid off at Holbrook. Lots of hours walking... the pieces are tiny but makes it all worth it when you find one!!

• Like 1