Nugget Shooter Forums

What in the world is this?

My guess is petrified wood especially since it was found with a bunch of quartz and the banding but I’ve never seen any pictures of petrified wood like this. Hardness is 6-7, the deep brown is Gemmy.
Maybe its a limb cast. I found it in Moulton TX where their is also a lot of oil in the ground. Idk if that has anything to do with it but I’m very curious about what caused the blue color in the one. If you know anything about it I’d be very interested in what you have to say. 

82C9007B-6ABC-4E54-8749-A652AE93EC29.jpeg6CCE6584-95F5-4B4B-AE07-EF1F358B231B.jpeg5DD799B3-26B4-45C6-9904-52DC75D7E632.jpeg  

Its a Quartz nodule  (concretion).  I'm sure there are a dozen possible Rock Hound, and Gemologist terms for it as well.  There are  lots of these in the limestone rocks of East Tennessee.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:56 PM, 4meter said:

Its a Quartz nodule  (concretion).  I'm sure there are a dozen possible Rock Hound, and Gemologist terms for it as well.  There are  lots of these in the limestone rocks of East Tennessee.

Hmm I’ve never seen concretions like this. Interesting. What about the blue color? Maybe copper oxides? Btw I’m from TN but didn’t get into rockhounding till I moved out west. I’m traveling up there in a week recommend any good spots in middle TN. 

11 hours ago, RockandFound said:

Yes thank you so much guys I can finally rest easy knowing what they are now haha   

Always take these IDs with a grain of salt though. It can be quite difficult to ID something from pictures alone.