Nugget Shooter Forums

Plant Fossils Near Reno, Nevada

Not too long ago, I uploaded a page called Plant Fossils In The Neighborhood Of Reno, Nevada ( https://inyo6.coffeecup.com/reno/renofossils.html ). It's a field trip report about two paleobotanically significant localities in the vicinity of Reno, Nevada, western reaches of the Great Basin Desert; includes a detailed text, in addition to photos of fossils and on-site images with explanatory captions. The fossil sites produce numerous middle Miocene leaves, seeds, bundles of needles (technically called fascicles--from conifers), foliage, and cones (from conifers and alders) from strata 15.6 to 13.3 million years old.

Below is a fossil plant specimen from one of the two localities I discuss in my field trip report. It's a carbonized specimen from Chamaecyparis cordillerae (synonym of C. sierrae), the Miocene equivalent of today's Lawson cypress Chamaecyparis lawsiana, now native to southwestern Oregon and the Klamath Mountains of northwest California elevations from sea level to 4,900 feet (1,500 m); from the 14.8 to 13.3 million year old Chloropagus Formation near Reno, Nevada.

reno3.jpg

• Like 1
  • well done 1

Thanks for posting. I would have never guessed these were fossils.  I would have thought they were manmade.

2 hours ago, GeoJack said:

20220317_095005.jpg

That looks very similar to something called chinese writing stone. But the coloration and matrix are different. 

I would send a picture to the geology dept of a university closest to area where it was found.  Surely someone can identify it. 

Looks just like Chinese writing stone! Cool

2 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Porphyry rock is also described as Chinese writing stones. 

20220521_060628.jpg

Found this one at the confluence of the Amercian River, middle and north forks.

• Like 1