Nugget Shooter Forums

Does anybody know what this rock is?

Posted (edited)

Intriguing!  It started off as a Granite (rock type), but the plagioclase feldspars have chemically altered to Epidote (pistachio green colored minerals).  The quarts is still there, but the darker green mineral is interesting.  It is a silicate mineral, maybe the green variety of Microcline (Orthoclase family of feldspar minerals, a potassium rich feldspar mineral).  It reminds me of Unakite, a Granite in the Mt of Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee, which has has had the plagioclase feldspars converted to Epidote but the Quart, and pink Orthoclase feldspars remained unaltered.  The Epidote of Unakite is a darker green then this rock shows.  

I would call this an altered Granite.

Edited by Au Seeker
To correct spelling

7 minutes ago, 4meter said:

Intriguing!  It started off as a Granite (rock type), but the plagioclase feldspars have chemically altered to Epidote (pistachio green colored minerals).  The quarts is still there, but the darker green mineral is interesting.  It is a silicate mineral, maybe the green variety of Microcline (Orthoclase family of feldspar minerals, a potassium rich feldspar mineral).  It reminds me of Unakite, a Granite in the Mt of Vagina, North Carolina and Tennessee, which has has had the plagioclase feldspars converted to Epidote but the Quart, and pink Orthoclase feldspars remained unaltered.  The Epidote of Unakite is a darker green then this rock shows.  

I would call this an altered Granite.

"a Granite in the Mt of Vagina"??

Did you mean Virginia, by any chance? :)

• Haha 1

yes.  I can be a poor typist at times. 

3 hours ago, BMc said:

"a Granite in the Mt of Vagina"??

Did you mean Virginia, by any chance? :)

1 hour ago, 4meter said:

yes.  I can be a poor typist at times. 

I fixed it for you, but now we all know where your mind was!! :inocent:

• Haha 1

Now don't I feel silly!  I will blame it on the morning coffee not fully kicking in.  :mornincoffee:  Thanks for the fix.

• Haha 1