Nugget Shooter Forums

Can you identify this rock?

2 hours ago, EricWood said:

https://pasteboard.co/tCz4JQNGFTTv.jpg

Hello! Could anyone please identify this rock that my son found digging in our Pennsylvania garden? It is very heavy for its size. Thank you very much

Looks like an old rusted piece of iron of some type. Does a magnet stick to it?

We’ll never really know the story behind it.  When the land was settled, the iron was smelted from bog iron, and could have been done from black sands.  Could have also been from one of the wars around there like one of the foundaries burning from the revolution.  

If you could include a pic and not a link you’d get a better response.

9 hours ago, EricWood said:

https://pasteboard.co/tCz4JQNGFTTv.jpg

Hello! Could anyone please identify this rock that my son found digging in our Pennsylvania garden? It is very heavy for its size. Thank you very much

7 hours ago, chrisski said:

We’ll never really know the story behind it.  When the land was settled, the iron was smelted from bog iron, and could have been done from black sands.  Could have also been from one of the wars around there like one of the foundaries burning from the revolution.  

If you could include a pic and not a link you’d get a better response.

Adding photo to the topic.

uploaded image

Thanks for the picture Skip.

The rock is composed of several natural iron oxides. Most of it appears to be Goethite (black) and Limonite (orange) There may be some Siderite involved too.

These minerals are common oxidation products and often found in Gossans and Bog Iron.

• Like 1

Thanks very much to all who have responded so far. Also for posting the photo.

I've just checked and I'm surprised that a (very strong) magnet does NOT stick at all to it. If this was iron of any type, wouldn't a magnet stick?

This being a case, can anyone offer an explanation or perhaps a new proposed identification? Thanks so much!!!🙂

I would have sworn this was a rusted piece of iron but the fact a magnet doesn't stick proves otherwise. So it's obviously an iron mineral or combination like Clay stated.

8 hours ago, clay said:

Thanks for the picture Skip.

The rock is composed of several natural iron oxides. Most of it appears to be Goethite (black) and Limonite (orange) There may be some Siderite involved too.

These minerals are common oxidation products and often found in Gossans and Bog Iron.

I've just checked and I'm surprised that a (very strong) magnet does NOT stick at all to it. If this was iron of any type, wouldn't a magnet stick?

This being a case, can anyone offer an explanation or perhaps a new proposed identification? Thanks so much!!!🙂

There are many types of iron ore, some are attracted to a magnet, but many others are not, but can becomes slightly attracted to a magnet when heated, all three of the iron oxides/ores mentioned by Clay are 3 examples of ones that would have to be heated to become slightly attracted to a magnet.

I don't know how hot you would have to heat them before they may become slightly attracted to a magnet, but they will never be highly attracted unless you smelt them and refine the iron on them, if you try it don't burn up anything! LOL

3 hours ago, EricWood said:

Magnets stick metallic iron and magnetite. They do not stick to other iron bearing minerals such as hematite.

• Like 1