Nugget Shooter Forums

Natrolite crystals from Cyprus island 2

Hi all! Just wanted to share with you some natrolite crystals from Cyprus island! This is a relatively common crystal for Cyprus, that can be found in basalt rock amygdules with gmelinite, analcime, chabazite, calcite etc. 

Enjoy!

IMG_20220424_003734.jpg

IMG_20220424_003725.jpg

IMG_20220424_003547.jpg

IMG_20220424_003518.jpg

IMG_20220424_003459.jpg

• Like 7
  • well done 1

I saw some of your other pictures and  envy you being able to collect from such a classic location. I'd buy some from you but those are too fragile to ship.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Morlock said:

I saw some of your other pictures and  envy you being able to collect from such a classic location. I'd buy some from you but those are too fragile to ship.

Thanks Morlock! Yes indeed, Avdellero village in Cyprus provides some of the best zeolite qualities! Every now and then i see geologists from all over the world there, doing their Thesis 😁

Believe me, i cant think of any possible way these crystals could reach you intact... Even i break them on my way home..!

11 minutes ago, ph06kg1 said:

Thanks Morlock! Yes indeed, Avdellero village in Cyprus provides some of the best zeolite qualities! Every now and then i see geologists from all over the world there, doing their Thesis 😁

Believe me, i cant think of any possible way these crystals could reach you intact... Even i break them on my way home..!

I know crocoite from Tasmania is pretty fragile and they pack those specimens in soap powder for shipping. Believe it or not...most of them arrive intact.

But your zeolite specimens are a totally different animal and are much, much more fragile than crocoite. Like you stated..they can get damaged just driving them home from the field or in some cases...just blowing on them. 

You did a hell of a job recovering the specimens in your photos. Just hope they last a long time for your viewing pleasure.

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

I know crocoite from Tasmania is pretty fragile and they pack those specimens in soap powder for shipping. Believe it or not...most of them arrive intact.

But your zeolite specimens are a totally different animal and are much, much more fragile than crocoite. Like you stated..they can get damaged just driving them home from the field or in some cases...just blowing on them. 

You did a hell of a job recovering the specimens in your photos. Just hope they last a long time for your viewing pleasure.

Yes indeed, crocoite is way more robust than natrolite, its crystals are thicker (but longer though). As you said, even an air wave can break these things! If you ever come to Cyprus, i would be very glad to give you some! By the way, i may have a video about the extraction of these from a roadcut basalt, but i dont know if i can upload it if interested!

18 hours ago, ph06kg1 said:

Yes indeed, crocoite is way more robust than natrolite, its crystals are thicker (but longer though). As you said, even an air wave can break these things! If you ever come to Cyprus, i would be very glad to give you some! By the way, i may have a video about the extraction of these from a roadcut basalt, but i dont know if i can upload it if interested!

I'd very much like to see your video of an extraction process. You could download to YouTube then post the link here. That's perhaps the best way..imho.