Nugget Shooter Forums

Plot map look up for claims

I'm doing some research for our upcoming trip to Nevada in a couple of weeks for some desert relaxation and swinging. Plotting some areas to check out. We are looking to camp where we detect so looking for some nice area.

Currently working on sections in the Rye Patch area to walk but want to ensure I have an up-to-date map of the claims in each section. Also looking at Dixie Valley, Edwards Valley and further south. Maybe a trip to the Sawtooths. 

Can anyone tell me where to go on mylandmatters to get to the plot map of the sections to see where the claims are?

Also, any suggestions on where to camp. We have our new shelter to break in.

Pod sm.jpg

Edited by GeoJack

GeoJack,

Try this, go to the Land Matters site, click on the Mining Claims picture, on the  right side of the next screen scroll down to Nevada Mining Claims.  Check on base layers options United States and Aerial Photos and BLM LR 2000 Nevada Placer Claims, let the image resolve and you will see a lot of small orange outlined boxes, these represent placer claim locations.  You can zoom in or out and move the map around using the tool bar.  If you click on the i (information) button and then click on any of the orange outlined boxes you will see a list of all of the BLM LR2000 claims within that section.  Then click on the column which says "link to serial register" then if you click on any of the claims below it takes you to the Serial Register page....  That information gets you to the right quarter section for any of the claims you are looking for.

If you open Google Earth and get the PLSS overlay on you can get a better visual, but I think Barry said those images are not accurate representing the actual location.

I hope this helps and maybe Barry or someone else will correct any incorrect information.....  Have a great trip!

Jeff

Mylandmatters.org maps will tell you how many claims are with in a section, which is roughly a square mile.

the only way to get accurate, up to date maps is to get the claim names and owners from land matters and go to the county records and look them up.  Some places that is fairly easy like Yavapai county which sorts the claims by township, range and sections.  Other places like Maricopa won’t sort, so finding new claims can be tedious.  County websites are updated daily with new filings and landmatters every two weeks.

Not sure where the Ty patch is, but I did a search in needles Nevada, but the county charged for each record to show the filing, so i did not pay.

This is an extremely tedious process.  Last time i did this was for a quarter section, about 1/4 th mile by 1/4th mile, and it took me hours to plot.  I did this in an area that had 40 acres unclaimed in an 80 acre area.  It sounds simple, but getting 9 claims off the county website and plotting is a slow process.  

This was not in an area that is likely to have as many claims as the rye patch.  I started something like that for rich hill, but gave up.

There are some sites or paid apps you can get that will plot limited areas, but these are updated much less frequently.  I suspect the one program I got 10 years ago for the Wickenburg area has not been updated in years.

i did a write up last year about what I do, but can’t seem to find it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pairadiceau said:

Maybe this is helpful..

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 4.13.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 4.10.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 4.09.39 PM.png

That only tells you which claims are active in a section.  From there, you still need to locate the maps in the county recorders office.

if what you pulled is the ‘rye patch’ that won’t be too hard to locate two records.  I would think that somethign as family’s as the rye patch has more, but i only know central Arizona.

I live off of 101 and Tatum. I’m a disabled veteran. Wondering if anyone knows a good place for starters like me? I love the hard work. Gives the best results. Heck, if someone wants a mule and willing to teach I’m right here. 

God bless. 
Chip

Thanks all, I always utilize MLM for research but I was hoping there were online opportunities to review the claims.

I just ran the report, 5 claims in the SE section, 3 claims each on the NW and NE sections.

I loaded up the corners for the SW section to prospect and we'll be reading the corner markers if there are any onsite for claim locations on the other sections as we walk out.

Should have plenty of ground to cover.

No real secret here, this is Sec 4, 32N32E on the flats of the Mujuba Mt.

Monday and Tuesday are forecast for high winds so looks like the end of next week for a few days.

Plan on camping on the side of Lake Rd. if possible.

Majuba.png

Sec 4 32N32E copy.jpg

Sec claims.png

9 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Thanks all, I always utilize MLM for research but I was hoping there were online opportunities to review the claims.

I just ran the report, 5 claims in the SE section, 3 claims each on the NW and NE sections.

I loaded up the corners for the SW section to prospect and we'll be reading the corner markers if there are any onsite for claim locations on the other sections as we walk out.

Should have plenty of ground to cover.

No real secret here, this is Sec 4, 32N32E on the flats of the Mujuba Mt.

Monday and Tuesday are forecast for high winds so looks like the end of next week for a few days.

Plan on camping on the side of Lake Rd. if possible.

Thanks for the map.  I am not claiming to be an expert, but i have not found the BLMs reference about whether a claim is in the NE, NW, SE, SW section of a claim to be accurate.  That is for Arizona.  Perhaps Nevada BLM does a better job.

• Like 1

I found some claim maps on the BLM new MLRS program.  So, may not need to go to county records to pull a map anymore.

What I found was that at least some claims that were filed with the normal paperwork to the blm since the program went live in 2021 were digitized.  Arizona blm has a form you can download and mailing paper copy that includes a map and this what was digitized.  Seems to be a 2 step process.  First, the paperwork is filed like it used to be that has the section )1 nm x 1 nm), but two months later, the original document scanned in pdf format gets added to the online data base.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 3:30 PM, chrisski said:

I found some claim maps on the BLM new MLRS program.  So, may not need to go to county records to pull a map anymore.

What I found was that at least some claims that were filed with the normal paperwork to the blm since the program went live in 2021 were digitized.  Arizona blm has a form you can download and mailing paper copy that includes a map and this what was digitized.  Seems to be a 2 step process.  First, the paperwork is filed like it used to be that has the section )1 nm x 1 nm), but two months later, the original document scanned in pdf format gets added to the online data base.

I'm glad the BLM finally got that part of the MLRS working. It was working back in January of last year when the BLM first made the MLRS map public. That only lased for about 2 hours before the Case File and Serial Register page links were removed. They are finally allowing that back onto the map.

I think it works the other way around Chris. First the BLM scans the location notice etc. then uploads the scans as PDFs to the online case file and then the BLM creates serial register page entries and checks land status from the uploaded case files. Just this last week I ran into a batch of new claims where the BLM had the scanned location notices into the online case file but had not yet created all the serial register pages. With this new MLRS system they don't have to pass the actual case files around the office, the BLM is getting modern.

It's not just new locations either. It's always a good idea to look over the case file to see if what you need is already scanned. Sometimes what's in there, even on old claims, is surprising.

This feature of having scanned pdf case files online has existed for a long time but the files were difficult to find. Now the BLM is providing a link to view that PDF if it exists. This is a big improvement and can be a big help if the files you need have been scanned and uploaded.

With the new MLRS database Land Matters will now be able to provide a link from their maps to the current BLM case file. Look for that to be added to the maps in the next month or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1