Nugget Shooter Forums

Unique specimen

Found this little specimen ? in the little San Domingo area of Az.

Total weight is 0.265 grams would like to know what the host rock is 

and how common is a non quartz specimen?

Thanks

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

• Like 2

A better picture zooming in on the specimen would be nice. THe only one I can open is #3 and it looks like a bullet fragment when enlarged.

One of the old timers told me a good place that the depression era folk would dig in the San Domingo was the gray black iron stone for gold.  I’ve heard of that holding gold but have never seen a photo of it.  Until I zoom in on the pics, the gray rocks look as if it could be iron stone.

I can now zoom in on those photos and it does look like caliche.  If it is, it should bubble in vinegar if you have that handy.  Certainly plenty of caliche in central AZ.

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 2

Take a close-up photo outside in the shade on a sunny day. The photos will turn out much better.

Edited by Morlock

That reminds me of the first gold i found at Rich Hill with a Gold Bug 2 many years ago. :old:
My next find was a huge solid gold nugget that was just shy of 2 ounces. :yikes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there ... nice bit of gold there.  Another thing you can try is to download the app.  Best Magnifying Glass.  then you can screenshot very close and detailed pictures.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1