Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Lithium Batteries


Recommended Posts

I'm going to need new house batteries for my RV in the foreseeable future and have been watching as prices go down and the number of vendors grows. Here is a sampling of what is available now...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=12+volt+lithium+100+ah&_sacat=0&_pgn=2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lithiums are great except in a couple things:

 

1) May not be able to charge in freezing temps.  If the battery has a heater it’ll charge.  Cell temp can’t go below freezing.

2) Won’t start a generator.  Does not have the cranking amps that lead acid does.  Normally the built in battery management system will shut it down.

 

I have installed all lithium in my fifth wheel with cells from China.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, chrisski said:

Lithiums are great except in a couple things:

 

1) May not be able to charge in freezing temps.  If the battery has a heater it’ll charge.  Cell temp can’t go below freezing.

2) Won’t start a generator.  Does not have the cranking amps that lead acid does.  Normally the built in battery management system will shut it down.

 

I have installed all lithium in my fifth wheel with cells from China.

What is the total number of 12 volt amp hours your lithium's hold?
My motorhome also has an 8D starting battery with 1400 cca's. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Beeper Bob said:

I just have 2 6 volt lead acid batteries from Napa hooked up in series. Made in Ohio. Took me 2 months to find any 6v deep cycle batteries. About $150 each and they work fine.

I was using 6 6v lead acid batteries ($85 ea. at Sam's Club in 2014) but after 7 years one went bad and that ruined a 2nd. I took the 2 bad ones out and have been using the remaining 4 for about a year. 
The down side of lead acid batteries (other than the weight) is they need to be watered regularly and only 1/2 the amp hours are useable. 
Everybody has different situations but my point is that the price of lithium batteries has come down substantially and the cost of lead acid and Gel batteries is going up. 
And, of course, most of the lithium batteries are made in China.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think all lithium batteries are made in America.  Some maybe manufactured from Chinese cells.  In a rare case someone may salvage a cracked electric car and use those cells to make a lithium battery out of batteries made in the US.

I have a 24 volt 560 ah lithium battery bank.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

I think all lithium batteries are made in America.  Some maybe manufactured from Chinese cells.  In a rare case someone may salvage a cracked electric car and use those cells to make a lithium battery out of batteries made in the US.

I have a 24 volt 560 ah lithium battery bank.  

 

I'm pretty sure most of those batteries on ebay are made in China. As for Tesla:

Q: Where does Tesla get it's batteries?
A: Tesla has secured a lithium supply contract with Ganfeng Lithium Co, the world's largest producer of battery-grade lithium. China's Ganfeng Lithium Co Ltd and its unit GFL International Co Ltd announced in a filing on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange today that they signed a three-year supply agreement with Tesla.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I certainly worded that wrong.  I meant to say Nearly all batteries are made in China, with the exception of BattleBorn Batteries, which I have a feeling is assembled in America, but made of Chinese cells.

A lot of electric car batteries in the US are made here:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1132958_most-evs-for-us-sale-have-american-made-batteries

if that article has any truth it.  Those electric car batteries are the ones some people recover and reassemble into something to power their house.  With no real new lithium mines opening in the US, I doubt if those electric car batteries are really produced in those quantities in the US will be able to keep up.

The lithium cells I got to make my battery out of are EVE 280 ah cells.  Rumor is those or the newer, bigger 304 ah Eve cells are being in some electric cars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

I'm pretty sure most of those batteries on ebay are made in China. As for Tesla:

Q: Where does Tesla get it's batteries?
A: Tesla has secured a lithium supply contract with Ganfeng Lithium Co, the world's largest producer of battery-grade lithium. China's Ganfeng Lithium Co Ltd and its unit GFL International Co Ltd announced in a filing on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange today that they signed a three-year supply agreement with Tesla.

Australia is becoming the world's biggest supplier. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-29/australian-miners-powering-global-electrification/100318108

SteveH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...