Nugget Shooter Forums

Arizona Amethyst

I’ve been finding this stuff lately and I’m just wondering if the fact that it’s from Arizona makes it anymore special than other places around the world. I know we have a major mine here but I’m nowhere near it. 008F81EB-9AE6-44F4-AB0F-E2E54372F149.jpeg003DCCF9-B077-417F-937D-F99ED543BE03.jpeg

Edited by RockandFound
  • Like 2

Very nice looking material.  Have you checked the hardness, just to be sure it is not Fluorite? On the Moho's hardness scale Fluorite is 4 (steel blade will scratch it), Quartz is 7 (same steel blade will not scratch it).

• Like 3

On 3/14/2022 at 9:36 AM, 4meter said:

Very nice looking material.  Have you checked the hardness, just to be sure it is not Fluorite? On the Moho's hardness scale Fluorite is 4 (steel blade will scratch it), Quartz is 7 (same steel blade will not scratch it).

I thought the same thing as well and it’s not scratching. It just leaves the mark of the steel on the stone. It’s surrounded in an outer quartz body and the black band around it is hematite. 

I assume you meant the pics you posted six days ago were soaked in Muraic acid.  I see no new pics.

Did you notice a before after difference?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

I assume you meant the pics you posted six days ago were soaked in Muraic acid.  I see no new pics.

Did you notice a before after difference?

You assumed correct. I should have stated that.