Nugget Shooter Forums

Heavy rock found while metal detecting

I was out metal detecting in Mariposa California when I got a really strong midtone signal from my metal detector. Out pops a very heavy rock. I thought hmm probably lead due to it's weight for it's size. Got home cleaned it and it was a odd shaped rock that wasn't lead but appears to be iron. A magnet sticks to it and seems to be solid metal. Normally I'd think just iron junk but it doesn't appear to be man made I could be wrong though. It also is odd to me due to how heavy it is. I didn't want to right it off as just iron junk without first making sure it isn't some sort of neat natural specimen. 

20220212_180337.jpg

20220212_180455.jpg

20220212_180445.jpg

20220212_165056.jpg

20220212_165010.jpg

20220212_165016.jpg

20220213_172735.jpg

20220213_172830.jpg

20220212_180323.jpg

20220212_180419.jpg

To me, metal targets have a sharp sound under the detector, and hot rocks are not so sharp, kind of warbly softer sound.  The black looks like some sort of hematite or other iron ore.  You can always crush and pan.  I’ve got a lot of exercising crushing but only found a speck or two of gold.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisski said:

To me, metal targets have a sharp sound under the detector, and hot rocks are not so sharp, kind of warbly softer sound.  The black looks like some sort of hematite or other iron ore.  You can always crush and pan.  I’ve got a lot of exercising crushing but only found a speck or two of gold.

Thank you for your response. I don't think it's a hot rock as it appears to be solid metal as I've grinded one end to get a look at the inside of it and it's all metal.  I don't know much about hematite so could be that I'll have to look that up. I'm unfamiliar with how natural iron ore occurs. I don't think it is something man made but I could be wrong I've dug a ton of iron in my day and most objects you can clearly tell they are man made but I know that doesn't mean this isn't just something that broke in a strange way. It does lack though a heavy amount of rust like most things around here for whatever reason under the ground for a long time get heavily rusted this didn't. Also like I said the weight was odd it is very heavy for it's size. Definitely has iron though because a magnet attracts to it. Knowing my luck track record it will just be some iron object that broke in an odd way.

I think it's a piece of old trash iron that has been in the ground for years as I see signs that it was a man-made object. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I think it's a piece of old trash iron that has been in the ground for years as I see signs that it was a man-made object. 

That very well is possible 

I do see the pics now where it looks like you chipped or filed a piece off to show the metallic center.  That would be hard to pulverize.

1 hour ago, JVA5th said:

20220213_172735.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chrisski said:

I do see the pics now where it looks like you chipped or filed a piece off to show the metallic center.  That would be hard to pulverize.

Yeah I filed an end off to see what it looks like on the interior 

Edited by JVA5th

If it's not a man made iron artifact/scrap metal, which is most likely, the only other thing it could be would be a iron meteorite, it would be hard/next to impossible to prove it's meteorite without getting it tested.

It's definitely not mineral iron, i. e. hematite or magnetite, the interior showing shiny metal proves that.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, JVA5th said:

I'll update, just iron slag so nothing exciting. 

Fooled me. I don't see any vesicles which is typically of slag.

• 4 months later...