Nugget Shooter Forums

Metorite or hematite or?

Hi, everyone is welcome to reply. 
i am not an expert, and i am looking to identify a possible meteorite. 
so, the information of this “stone” i have. 
Is magnetic, the weight 221,5 gramme. The water displacment is between 46 to 49 ml, so specific weight (gravity weight?) is between 4.6 to 4.9.

i tried etching with nitric acid, with no patterns. 

pictures bellow. 

https://postimg.cc/gallery/6Zf4mDh

thanks for any comments or information🙏🏻

28 minutes ago, Jack120 said:

Hi, everyone is welcome to reply. 
i am not an expert, and i am looking to identify a possible meteorite. 
so, the information of this “stone” i have. 
Is magnetic, the weight 221,5 gramme. The water displacment is between 46 to 49 ml, so specific weight (gravity weight?) is between 4.6 to 4.9.

i tried etching with nitric acid, with no patterns. 

pictures bellow. 

https://postimg.cc/gallery/6Zf4mDh

thanks for any comments or information🙏🏻

Wow, the outside of that is very dark compared the interior. I think you have found a specimen from planet Earth.  Have you tried a scratch test?

2 hours ago, Jack120 said:

Not yet, thanks for the tip, i will learn on google and do a test.

Your hunch that it’s something other than a meteorite is probably right. Mike’s thought that it ironstone is a possibility,  it does look like there are sand grains inside of it, which sedimentary ironstone is made up of. But even though the outside is dark the interior is light, which would indicate not much iron. If this was found out in the desert, one possibility is it’s a sandstone or aother common rock (cant tell from photo the details of interior ) covered with desert varnish. That would explain the thin dark coating on the outside and the lighter interior. If it was darker on the interior, a scratch test might’ve been helpful. You can look up scratch test magnetite and hematite. Here’s a good reference for it:

https://meteorites.asu.edu/meteorites/how-can-i-find-a-meteorite

Hi again, so no color on a ceramic plate, and concerning the polarity, it has no South north polarity, it s diamagnetic, i found this stone and i search for 2 hours of more of this material with no success, look like magnetíte or hematite or maghemite, but doesnt seems like any of those materials, it was found in argentina, not in the desert. Not in a river, not sure, just trying to identify this mineral, not saying is a meteorite, but not a hematite, that would leave a redish streak, so? What is it? Will bring this stone to a lab for further investigation, thanks community 

• 3 weeks later...

It seems diamagnetic but has north and South using a compass. It seems like a magnetite or hematite but searching the área for days, i did not found any other “stone” like this one. 
any sugestions would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 11:50 PM, Regmaglitch said:

The three photos of an “opened” stone, and the three of an unopened stone are not from the same stone.

I dont understand, the pictures posted here, https://postimg.cc/gallery/6Zf4mDh

are the same stone. The stone uncutted and the same stone cutted. 
what do you mean is not the same stone?