Nugget Shooter Forums

My first meteorite!!!!

Iam just glad after finding tons and tons of meteowrongs I have a meteorite on my hands and iam delighted with that! Here are some photos. I published it on a website and experts said that it looked like a weathered chondrite.

IMG-20220213-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220213-WA0006.jpg

20220216_191230.jpg

IMG-20220213-WA0003.jpg

20220219_120123.jpg

• wow 1

Hi there. Just curious if you did a streak test as well. The first several pics look good until the last pic. That one picture has me suspect that it is not a meteorite. Pictures are hard to tell if one is or not a meteorite but from my experience, the last picture has me concerned that it might not be one. Also, grind or cut a window on one of the edges. It doesn’t de-value the stone but brings creditability to the rock. 
Im not an expert and don’t claim to be one but have found my fair share of them and a lot more meteorwrongs. 

Jayray

5 minutes ago, Jayray said:

Hi there. Just curious if you did a streak test as well. The first several pics look good until the last pic. That one picture has me suspect that it is not a meteorite. Pictures are hard to tell if one is or not a meteorite but from my experience, the last picture has me concerned that it might not be one. Also, grind or cut a window on one of the edges. It doesn’t de-value the stone but brings creditability to the rock. 
Im not an expert and don’t claim to be one but have found my fair share of them and a lot more meteorwrongs. 

Jayray

20220221_113938.jpg

25 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Where did you find it? I'm certainly not an expert but it looks good to me.

I just found it in my backyard! It was buried in ground and it's half surface was only visible from there. Could it be possible that my backyard is a strewn field? I know it may sound crazy.

The odds of finding a meteorite on ones backyard are very, very, very slim. 

It doesn't look like it would produce a streak but check it anyway.

https://geology.com/minerals/streak-test.shtml#:~:text=The "streak test" is a,a mineral in powdered form.&text=The streak test is done,the surface of the plate.

Can use the underside of a toilet tank lid assuming it's white.

20220206_184533.jpg

2 minutes ago, Morlock said:

https://geology.com/minerals/streak-test.shtml#:~:text=The "streak test" is a,a mineral in powdered form.&text=The streak test is done,the surface of the plate.

Sure here is the result

32 minutes ago, Morlock said:

So will it increase its value? Anyway iam not going to sell it.

I'm not sure it's a meteorite since it was found in your backyard. The photos looked good but the odds of finding a meteorite in ones backyard are astronomical.

Perhaps others will chime in.

22 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I'm not sure it's a meteorite since it was found in your backyard. The photos looked good but the odds of finding a meteorite in ones backyard are astronomical.

Perhaps others will chime in.

Hmmmm needs an expert here although it is most probably a meteorite because it has all characteristics of it.

-Master

Hi there, sooty but I don’t see any chondrules in any of the pics. They would be small spheres and I am not seeing those. 
Here you can clearly see the small spheres I am talking about.

Jayray

FAE371FE-709B-4790-AE08-AE203E6E3047.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jayray said:

Hi there, sooty but I don’t see any chondrules in any of the pics. They would be small spheres and I am not seeing those. 

Jayray

Chondrites are cool- formed from droplets that accrete together in space?  Nice!  As for being in a backyard, rare but not impossible. At least if you live in two towns in the US where strewn fields have recently fallen that would be possible…

4 hours ago, Jayray said:

Jayray

Hmmm looks like I need a microscope. Although i can see some of them but not clearly. Can someone suggest me how to clean it (meteorite)so I can see clearly?

8 minutes ago, Master said:

Hmmm looks like I need a microscope. Although i can see some of them but not clearly. Can someone suggest me how to clean it (meteorite)so I can see clearly?

You need to grind or saw off a corner so you can see the interior. That's the only way you'll be able to see the chondrules if you have them. Will not affect the value much.