Nugget Shooter Forums

Nature is mysterious

I always think Geode when I see a round rock with a whole in the center that has been filled with other minerals through the aeons. Just an air bubble in lava that filled with minerals and then the lave erodes through the years leaving the rock and its crystals.

Some Geodes are exciting when cracked open.  Others are not exciting and just duds. The only one I found locally was a boring egg shaped mud dish brown layered geode.  Someone tried putting a fancy name to it to give it some value like a “Bloody Basin Geode,” but it was still just as ugly and don’t think he sold any.

They form in other ways.  I forget the name but instead of lava they can form with concretions naturally.  They can also form in any rock that has bubbles where the minerals flow through in some sort of solution.  I think some of the bubbly basalt rock can have what I think are zeolites.

Sorry, a lot of words and you’re no closer to knowing what it is.

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 1

Interesting rock, you just never know.  This is kind of similar but on a bigger scale.  This about the size of an adult casket.263BC160-F512-4173-AA63-4F315742195E.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OferAZ said:

Interesting rock, you just never know.  This is kind of similar but on a bigger scale.  This about the size of an adult casket.263BC160-F512-4173-AA63-4F315742195E.jpeg

I thought that rocks are just rocks but the more I keep looking the more they dazzle you with their beauty.

7 hours ago, chrisski said:

They form in other ways.  I forget the name but instead of lava they can form with concretions naturally.  They can also form in any rock that has bubbles where the minerals flow through in some sort of solution.  I think some of the bubbly basalt rock can have what I think are zeolites.

I think you’re thinking of septarian nodules. The bubbly basalt with some of the pockets filled is called amygdaloidal basalt.

I think what you’ve got there is an ironstone concretion. Concretions form when mineral rich water flows through sand or silt. The minerals from the water cement the surrounding grains together, forming a rock. the minerals don’t just randomly cement grains together. They typically need something to trigger their deposition. This item could be a small rock, a fossil, or anything that is different from the surrounding sediment. The bit at the center is called the nucleus. Concretions form in layers around the nucleus. They can be quite small or quite large. 

to learn more about concretions, go here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concretion

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d_day said:

I think what you’ve got there is an ironstone concretion. Concretions form when mineral rich water flows through sand or silt. The minerals from the water cement the surrounding grains together, forming a rock. the minerals don’t just randomly cement grains together. They typically need something to trigger their deposition. This item could be a small rock, a fossil, or anything that is different from the surrounding sediment. The bit at the center is called the nucleus. Concretions form in layers around the nucleus. They can be quite small or quite large. 

to learn more about concretions, go here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concretion

Thank you sir