Nugget Shooter Forums

Detecting Gold At Depth

I have a question on detecting gold at depth. I will preface this by saying I have no knowledge of metal detecting. Excavatore, trommels, sluicing yes but detecting no. So I was watching Beyond Oak Island and these treasure hunters were looking for a lost mine. They were using a Whites TM 808 Treasuremaster which they claimed could detect deposits at depths down to 20 feet. That sounded really questionable to me. I would need a detector to search depths along a fault line where big gold was taken & signs of big deposits still remain. I am not looking to detect a few grams of gold but suspected large, concentrated deposits of over 50 ounces or more. Would the White work even down to maybe 10 ft or perhaps a better detector or is it not realistic. Thanks.

Edited by GhostMiner

16 minutes ago, DarkSilicate said:

I think for that depth, you might want to core drill.  

Can't get a drill rig up there without a road. And you can't get drillers interested unles they can make big bucks on many, many drill holes. This is on the side of a faultline & 2000 ft long varying in heights from the base to 100 ft high. Drilling is not possible. Would cost over a million easily.

Edited by GhostMiner

29 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Can't get a drill rig up there without a road. And you can't get drillers interested unles they can make big bucks on many, many drill holes. This is on the side of a faultline & 2000 ft long varying in heights from the base to 100 ft high. Drilling is not possible. Would cost over a million easily.

Core rigs are small. They fit in a mine shaft. They aren't drilling rigs with towers. At least they don't have to be.

You can get one to go anywhere you can take a mule.

There are plenty of outfits that can sample at 500 feet at any angle in super tight spaces (like a mine tunnel). They use them in mining and construction every day. Many can be carried down a flight of stairs. Most fit in the back of a pickup truck. Some are tracked and self propelled. 

We used a little tracked unit to blast rock for the railroad on an 800 ft. Ridge near Morenci. It climbed the cliff a heck of a lot easier than the blaster did.

Don't limit yourself to your own personal knowledge and experience. Assume you don't have a clue and allow industry professionals to find solutions to problems you imagine are unsolvable. 

No, a metal detector won't detect divided placer gold deposits at at depths past a couple feet.

11 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Core rigs are small. They fit in a mine shaft. They aren't drilling rigs with towers.

You can get one to go anywhere you can take a mule.

There are plenty of outfits that can sample at 500 feet at any angle in super tight spaces (like a mine tunnel). They use them in mining and construction every day. Many an be carried down a flight of stairs. Most fit in the back of a pickup truck. Some are tracked and self propelled. 

We used a little tracked unit to blast rock for the railroad on an 800 ft. Ridge near Morenci. It climbed the cliff a heck of a lot easier than the blaster did.

They aren't interested in a few drill holes and we don't have hundred's of thousands of dollars to make it worth their time. Besides that. over the past 10 yrs I haven't found anyone willing to drill our area because in their words te drilling is too hard for them. The question is about detectors, not drill rigs. Who has knowledge on them on this site?

Maybe if I ask about drill rigs i'll get people posting about metal detectors LOL.  I don't want to hear anything here about drill rigs. The question is about detectors please.

Edited by GhostMiner

17 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

They aren't interested in a few drill holes and we don't have hundred's of thousands of dollars to make it worth their time. Besides that. over the past 10 yrs I haven't found anyone willing to drill our area because in their words te drilling is too hard for them. The question is about detectors, not drill rigs. Who has knowledge on them on this site?

I pretty much answered both questions.

If you don't want to hear about core sampling then just click your finger and you don't have to read it. 

You are talking to the wrong people about sampling if you are talking to "drillers". You can rent a core drill unit and do it yourself if you can't find a "driller" willing to do it.

Any materials testing or geophysical outfit has access to equipment that can core sample anywhere. There are dozens of capable companies that will perform these services for a reasonable price. It's just not that complicated.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I pretty much answered both questions.

If you don't want to hear about core sampling then just click your finger and you don't have to read it. 

You are talking to the wrong people about sampling if you are talking to "drillers". You can rent a core drill unit and do it yourself if you can't find a "driller" willing to do it.

Any materials testing or geophysical outfit has access to equipment that can core sample anywhere. There are dozens of capable companies that will perform these services for a reasonable price. It's just not that complicated.

I asked about what metal detectors are capable of, not drill rigs. I don't care about drill rigs at this point of the exploration. I use excavators to take bulk samples when the time is right. Not yet. A reasonable price is a relative thing. It's a far cry from the price of a metal detector. 

54 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

I asked about what metal detectors are capable of, not drill rigs. I don't care about drill rigs at this point of the exploration. I use excavators to take bulk samples when the time is right. Not yet. A reasonable price is a relative thing. It's a far cry from the price of a metal detector. 

That's ridiculous. If you can get an excavator in there and afford that kind of rental cost you can certainly do a few cores.

Digging little holes with a little machine is cheaper than digging big holes with big machines.

You are faking it big time aren't you buddy?

Why don't you dig a 15 foot hole and put a 6' CMP casing in it?  It might cost $6-8k max. If you do the labor. 

You would spend about the same on a detector. And all you would know is if there was detectable gold within a foot of the coil.

You already have a 6 foot hole the hygraders dug (ain't it a shame). Get up there with a crew of hard azzes drinking whiskey and prove a hole. Dig it out and case it. Log the results as you go down.

You suddenly have objective data about the deposit. And a cased hole you can lock up.

Then drag a ditch witch boring machine up there. Get it from United Rental. Winch it up there with the winch on the bumper of your diesel pickup. Take a few sheaves and some rope. Bring chains. Get 'er done.

Set that Ditch Witch up and drill down 40 feet. Don't stick the bit or you will pay for it. Bag it all up as you go down and test the sh!t. Get real miner on it. Log the results.

That's the cheapest and easiest way to 60 feet you are going to get. It won't cost much more than a fancy detector. It will take a couple of guys with good mechanical and engineering skills to make it work. 

Or you can buy a $7000 machine that will beep on something at 40 feet. And then you will have to figure out how to dig it up. And then it might be an old pick head.

So there is my two cents on everything you don't want to talk about.

• wow 1

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

I have a question on detecting gold at depth. I will preface this by saying I have no knowledge of metal detecting. Excavatore, trommels, sluicing yes but detecting no. So I was watching Beyond Oak Island and these treasure hunters were looking for a lost mine. They were using a Whites TM 808 Treasuremaster which they claimed could detect deposits at depths down to 20 feet. That sounded really questionable to me. I would need a detector to search depths along a fault line where big gold was taken & signs of big deposits still remain. I am not looking to detect a few grams of gold but suspected large, concentrated deposits of over 50 ounces or more. Would the White work even down to maybe 10 ft or perhaps a better detector or is it not realistic. Thanks.

The Whites, or any other two box detector system, will not detect disseminated gold deposits at any depth. They weren't designed to detect small objects. They will detect a buried Cadillac at about 30 foot in low mineralization soils. They might be able to detect a 60 pound block of solid gold at 5 foot in no mineral sand. They are the wrong tool for your job. There are no metal detectors made that will do what you want.

What is Beyond Oak Island?

15 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

That's ridiculous. If you can get an excavator in there and afford that kind of rental cost you can certainly do a few cores.

I'm not faking anything. I didn't deserve that after all the posts from the journal i've put on here. I've even invited anyone who would like to come to our mine site to see it. To get an excavator in there requires permitting for disturbance. We have done that at other areas like the eastern drift mine Jed talked about. We used a mid size excavator and ran 250 cubic yards through a Gold Claimer Pioneer 30 trommel and got an average of a gram a yard. That mine is now leased. I have previously stated I don't want the Forest Service involved in this project. I want to work it by hand and we are on a treasure hunt, not a mining operation. I just thought that maybe there was a metal detector that could give us further clues.  If after everything I have taken my time to post on this site makes you think I am faking it then why am I even wasting my time doing this? For what? Sorry you feel that way but you have opened my eyes here. I'm sorry I asked for any info. 

11 minutes ago, clay said:

The Whites, or any other two box detector system, will not detect disseminated gold deposits at any depth. They weren't designed to detect small objects. They will detect a buried Cadillac at about 30 foot in low mineralization soils. They might be able to detect a 60 pound block of solid gold at 5 foot in no mineral sand. They are the wrong tool for your job. There are no metal detectors made that will do what you want.

What is Beyond Oak Island?

Thanks for the info Clay. It's a Discovery show about treasure hunters. 

Just for anyone's info, there is an open invitation to anyone who would like to visit Jed's dig site this summer. Our ground is completely leased out to crews who are actively permitting for the coming season. The exception to this is certain high interest areas along the faultline where I am going to fulfill a live long dream of a treasure hunt for a large gold deposit. This will all eventually be handed down to my grandson who I am introducing to gold exploration at the age of 2 1/2 yrs old. Hopefully he won't think i'm faking it. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Just for anyone's info, there is an open invitation to anyone who would like to visit Jed's dig site this summer. Our ground is completely leased out to crews who are actively permitting for the coming season. The exception to this is certain high interest areas along the faultline where I am going to fulfill a live long dream of a treasure hunt for a large gold deposit. This will all eventually be handed down to my grandson who I am introducing to gold exploration at the age of 2 1/2 yrs old. Hopefully he won't think i'm faking it. 

Bedrock Bob. What is this guy's problem? If anyone knows please let me know. He seems to wnat to argue & make fun of everything I post. Why? Does he have mental issues? I've had people visit our mining site from as far as Scotland & China. They actually worked with us for 2 days.  It was a lot of fun. Once again I ask where are the moderators here? Is this the kind of website you wish to have or would you like it to be a positive experience. 

Edited by GhostMiner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

Bedrock Bob. What is this guy's problem? If anyone knows please let me know. He seems to wnat to argue & make fun of everything I post. Why? Does he have mental issues? I've had people visit our mining site from as far as Scotland & China. They actually worked with us for 2 days.  It was a lot of fun. Once again I ask where are the moderators here? Is this the kind of website you wish to have or would you like it to be a positive experience. 

You’re a whiner… you can’t seem to handle certain truths….If you don’t like the website, leave…first it was me you were crying 😢 about…. Now it’s Bob…next week it’ll be somebody else…. Grow up dude… it would surprise me to no end if somebody actually took you up your offer to work YOUR mine site….

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

You’re a whiner… you can’t seem to handle certain truths….If you don’t like the website, leave…first it was me you were crying 😢 about…. Now it’s Bob…next week it’ll be somebody else…. Grow up dude… it would surprise me to no end if somebody actually took you up your offer to work YOUR mine site….

Actually my companies site. I am the president & hold 51% of the stock. If you would like to visit the mine site you are welcome. We'll be out there all summer. I'll give you directions. 

Edited by GhostMiner
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Digging little holes with a little machine is cheaper than digging big holes with big machines.

Why don't you dig a 15 foot hole and put a 6' CMP casing in it?  It might cost $6-8k max. If you do the labor. 

You would spend about the same on a detector. And all you would know is if there was detectable gold within a foot of the coil.

You already have a 6 foot hole the hygraders dug (ain't it a shame). Get up there with a crew of hard azzes drinking whiskey and prove a hole. Dig it out and case it. Log the results as you go down.

You suddenly have objective data about the deposit. And a cased hole you can lock up.

Then drag a ditch witch boring machine up there. Get it from United Rental. Winch it up there with the winch on the bumper of your diesel pickup. Take a few sheaves and some rope. Bring chains. Get 'er done.

Set that Ditch Witch up and drill down 40 feet. Don't stick the bit or you will pay for it. Bag it all up as you go down and test the sh!t. Get real miner on it. Log the results.

That's the cheapest and easiest way to 60 feet you are going to get. It won't cost much more than a fancy detector. It will take a couple of guys with good mechanical and engineering skills to make it work. 

Or you can buy a $7000 machine that will beep on something at 40 feet. And then you will have to figure out how to dig it up. And then it might be an old pick head.

So there is my two cents on everything you don't want to talk about.

Again, I only asked about what a metal detector like the Whites was capable of. What you are posting has nothing to do with my question. 

Hey GhostMiner, whether you appreciate the information given to you by Bob or not, it is correct.  That is why I mentioned the core drilling in the first place.  I'm not going to pretend there is some magical metal detector out there capable of doing what you were talking about and I would guess no one else on here is either.  You said you didn't have knowledge about metal detecting so we were trying to steer you to something that was real world and would work.  Just so you know, I do wish you the best of success with the claim as I would imagine Bob and a lot of other on here do.  

Edited by DarkSilicate
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DarkSilicate said:

Hey GhostMiner, whether you appreciate the information given to you by Bob or not, it is correct.  That is why I mentioned the core drilling in the first place.  I'm not going to pretend there is some magical metal detector out there capable of doing what you were talking about and I would guess no one else on here is either.  You said you didn't have knowledge about metal detecting so we were trying to steer you to something that was real world and would work.  Just so you know, I do wish you the best of success with the claim as I would imagine Bob and a lot of other on here do.  

I don't think some of them wish me any success as they think I am a fake. All I asked about was what a metal detector could do. I have invited the people who insult me & call me a fake to visit the site. I get no response as they would rather bash me. They are internet bullies & the person who runs this website doesn't seem to care. Today I was named a 10K Gold Member. What a joke. All of the time I took transcribing & posting journal entries and to be called a fake is stunning & crushing. I have had people from Scotland & China to our mines. I get a laughing icon face for posting that. I absolutely hate social media & this is why I have avoided it. We live in a sick society with lot's of disturbed people.  I thought it would be great to post journal entries but it's just a waste of time. And a simple question on a detector gets turned into a crap show. My wife has been reading all of this & she said I am better than that & why argue with people who don't know you or what you are doing at Jed's dig site? She is right. It's not worth it. 

6 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Man, was posting this simple question ever a big mistake LOL. Some good people trying to help & also the same internet bullies. Thanks to those that actually answered the question. 

• Like 1

Just now, GhostMiner said:

Man, was posting this simple question ever a big mistake LOL. Some good people trying to help & also the same internet bullies. Thanks to those that actually answered the question. 

You are welcome!

• Sad 1