Nugget Shooter Forums

Looking for information

I don’t think you can tell where the rock came from by looking at it.  

I don’t have a good internet connection now, but I use my state AZ online map site or go to mylandmatters.org and check the geological maps.  Not a lot of info like you want, but if gold is found in a certain area and you notice it comes from a soil type like tertiary gravels, could be good to search an area close by that has the same tertiary gravels listed on the map.  Tertiary gravels is just a fancy name for gravels deposited by waters from 2 - 65 million years ago.

So, if you knew where that rock came from, could locate this point on a map, you may find another area with the same geological classification on the map, that would be a good place to start to find another.

I like the book Geology of Arizona, but pick a state and there’s a geology book for that.  It will talk about things like the place I’m staying now was an ancient sea that waters flowed into until the Colorado river revered its flow.

Someone smarter than me might be able to tell.  Gold has some telltale signs of where it could come from.  My local area the gold is rather pure, so its more yellowish, and chevron type gold is not found in many areas.  Other areas have copper in the gold and other areas more silver-ish. 

It is a chunk of Quartz with lichens growing on it (green color).  Where did you find it?  Most quartz is barren, ie no gold.  

Give the sample a good washing.  Warm soapy water bath, rinse, soak in ammonia in a sealed container (ammonia from the dollar store is good, not no name Windex with ammonia), then a soak in iron out solution.  Will give a nice looking mineral.

I found it in Louisiana on an Indian mound.  I suppose they used it as a grinding/hammerstone.  Was just curious how far it may have traveled to get here like most other large stone tools I find, since here isn't known for its stones.  Trying to figure out the fellow of ladies name that decided to pick it up. So far all Ive determined is that whoever grabbed it liked morning time more than night time, and may have been named goomquay. Thanks alot for info.

3 hours ago, Ordinary rock said:

I found it in Louisiana on an Indian mound.  I suppose they used it as a grinding/hammerstone.  Was just curious how far it may have traveled to get here like most other large stone tools I find, since here isn't known for its stones.  Trying to figure out the fellow of ladies name that decided to pick it up. So far all Ive determined is that whoever grabbed it liked morning time more than night time, and may have been named goomquay. Thanks alot for info.

That doesn't look like an Indian grinding stone to me imho. Sometimes a stone is just a plain old stone.

• Like 1