Nugget Shooter Forums

The Hassayampa Meteorite

GEDC1307.JPGHi All

This is a meteorite that's hard to find pieces for sale. The townsite is were the gps co-ordinates take you to. It was found in 1963 and weighted 16 kilos. It's an H4 and this slice I purchased many years ago .Trying to put together a display for the Flandrau mineral museum of AZ meteorites. In the old days prior to GPS's the longitude and latitude were used as the find site which was the nearest town or landmark. Here's the pictures .

Happy Huntin John B.GEDC1306.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

20220223_191846.jpg20220223_191356.jpg20220223_185727.jpg20220221_113938.jpg

On 2/9/2022 at 5:28 AM, John B. said:

GEDC1307.JPGHi All

This is a meteorite that's hard to find pieces for sale. The townsite is were the gps co-ordinates take you to. It was found in 1963 and weighted 16 kilos. It's an H4 and this slice I purchased many years ago .Trying to put together a display for the Flandrau mineral museum of AZ meteorites. In the old days prior to GPS's the longitude and latitude were used as the find site which was the nearest town or landmark. Here's the pictures .

Happy Huntin John B.GEDC1306.JPG

Hey john even my peice looks same as yours although it's not a hassayampa meteorite. 

Edited by Master
  • Like 1

It does if you think it's a meteorite. The only way to prove it is to cut off a piece or grind a portion off so we can see the interior of the stone. 

If you don't do it...it's going to be called a meteorwrong since you can't prove otherwise.

Edited by Morlock

16 minutes ago, Morlock said:

It does if you think it's a meteorite. The only way to prove it is to cut off a piece or grind a portion off so we can see the interior of the stone. 

If you don't do it...it's going to be called a meteorwrong since you can't prove otherwise.

Hmmm I don't think I need to prove.:200:

-master

28 minutes ago, d_day said:

Oh, we don’t need to prove things are meteorites now? What a coincidence! This one just landed.

713DD049-ADF1-47C5-A4C6-A853AC385D4A.jpeg

Have you rubbed it on your toilet lid?

• Haha 1

Hi Master and All

The only thing that remotely looks like a meteorite in your pictures is the crust. The rest doesn't look like a real meteorite to me. Trust me I found hundreds of chondrites and fondled many more. If I had to guess I would say some sort of burnt ore like magnetite, magnesium or ?? The only way to tell for sure is taking it to a qualified university and have it classified or it's just another rock. If it ain't classified it isn't a recognized meteorite and for all we know it's fossilized dog crap from your back yard. Does it have a chewy interior ???:rolleyes:

Happy Huntin John B.

• Haha 2