Nugget Shooter Forums

Any idea what these are fellas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RockandFound said:

Bob is right. I toke a lighter to it and it stayed aflame. Is that natural petroleum?

I've never seen or heard of anything like those.

I thought it might be remnants of a burnt tire, but I also remember hearing stories of natural tar balls that would wash up on the beaches in California.  These are a google image search:

07E9ED4B-C0FB-4DB9-931F-17C0040B247B.png

• Like 1

Yea and it’s so strange because I found them 30 miles outside of Yuma in the middle of nowhere. They are everywhere and only get about 6” of rain a year. Not a lot of human activity around at all. Also they are completely hard (fragile about a 3 I’d say) not soft in the middle like some I’ve read about. It’ll be a good thing to keep in my survival kit to start and keep a fire that’s for sure. 

2 minutes ago, RockandFound said:

Yea and it’s so strange because I found them 30 miles outside of Yuma in the middle of nowhere. They are everywhere and only get about 6” of rain a year. Not a lot of human activity around at all. Also they are completely hard (fragile about a 3 I’d say) not soft in the middle like some I’ve read about. It’ll be a good thing to keep in my survival kit to start and keep a fire that’s for sure. 

That's why I thought they were obsidian as I've seen plenty of that down there. Just don't look like burnt tires. Maybe the military had something to do with that.

• Like 1

That area had a lot of training for WWII. Finding history of the training sites is difficult and I doubt records were kept like they are today.  All sorts of maps for modern day training range boundaries, but not for the old days.

I hope you did not wander onto an old nuclear testing site!!

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 1

Dried up napalm looks like amber chunks, I've seen other dried out gunk from incendiary bombs that looks like that too.

But it also really looks like... 

I'm only guessing as I've only seen the stuff in drug prevention talks and posters during safety meetings at school.

Does it have a vinegar-like smell?   You should get it checked as maybe you don't want to keep that around.

EBSWtQ5XYAIlguU.jpg220d2fd7-3605-46a1-b569-cb8708820557-HEROIN2.jpg

On 3/1/2022 at 7:23 AM, RockandFound said:

EDIT:  just read that you said "They are everywhere"... oh never mind about that heroin idea.  Maybe you found the remains of a natural oil seep formation.  If there are sedimentary rock layers in the area you found them, could be a eroded out layer from that.  We have a canyon here called Coal Canyon east of Long Beach that also has petroleum seeps oozing out of the side walls, it stains the soils black but hasn't formed blobs like yours, those must be old.  Another possibility may be its from Native Americans. They used to line the insides of baskets with tar to make them waterproof, maybe you found a place where they dropped it? I’ll have to ask my wife to see what she thinks, she’s an archaeologist.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Haha not heroin. 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:04 PM, GotAU? said:

EDIT:  just read that you said "They are everywhere"... oh never mind about that heroin idea.  Maybe you found the remains of a natural oil seep formation.  If there are sedimentary rock layers in the area you found them, could be a eroded out layer from that.  We have a canyon here called Coal Canyon east of Long Beach that also has petroleum seeps oozing out of the side walls, it stains the soils black but hasn't formed blobs like yours, those must be old.  Another possibility may be its from Native Americans. They used to line the insides of baskets with tar to make them waterproof, maybe you found a place where they dropped it? I’ll have to ask my wife to see what she thinks, she’s an archaeologist.

Haha not heroin they smell like oil and they catch fire. I just don’t know how they got where they got. Thanks man 

My wife said it wasn’t artifacts. But she also asked if you  happened to be on or near a pipeline corridor road? Maybe it was leftovers from a leak, or someone dumped their petroleum waste.

47 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

My wife said it wasn’t artifacts. But she also asked if you  happened to be on or near a pipeline corridor road? Maybe it was leftovers from a leak, or someone dumped their petroleum waste.

FD1E9CCC-0BA4-4263-BFCE-F05F2DE34C0C.png

50 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

This is the area pretty much exactly. I don’t know if it’s near that road I’m not too familiar with that area. 

These were found on a beach at the Outer Banks.  Most of them are soft like tar balls but these are the keepers that are hard and brittle.  They seem to be the same as what you have.  I just put a flame to one and it burned with a petroleum smell. My gut feeling is they are a gem material called Jet. They do come from a form of coal that has been subjected to high pressure.  image.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/31/2022 at 2:54 PM, RockandFound said:

66535517353__EE7AA2C7-1620-4D4C-A37F-5BE281C2514C.MOV 1.28 MB · 6 downloads  

image.jpgimage.jpg

Found these yesterday near kofa wildlife refuge. A lot of volcanic activity around there for sure. These are light weight and smooth. Was thinking maybe they are a smooth lava rock idk. 

Did you ever do a streak test on them? That should be one of the first things to do.

• Like 2