Nugget Shooter Forums

Etsy seller sells “ opalized ammolite”

It does say that it’s inlay, which means it definitely is not natural. To me, it looks like they took small bits of ammolite (the iridescent outer shell from fossil ammonites), placed them inside an ammonite fossil, then filled the whole thing with resin. It looks neat, but it’s not worth anywhere near what they’re asking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

I have to admit that the only purpose of my question was to make the shop owner to believe me that the item is a fake. I wanted to show to them independent opinions, not influenced by my own. These are not pieces of ammolite. These are pieces of glass or plastic, and the item has nothing to do with opals.

Well...I don't think the seller is trying to scam anyone since the ad clearly states the ammonite shell was inlaid with ammolite. So there are small pieces of multicolored ammolite that was used to partially fill the chambers,  filled with resin and polished.

I don't believe the seller was trying to imply it was 100% natural.

6 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Well...I don't think the seller is trying to scam anyone since the ad clearly states the ammonite shell was inlaid with ammolite. So there are small pieces of multicolored ammolite that was used to partially fill the chambers,  filled with resin and polished.

I don't believe the seller was trying to imply it was 100% natural.

The seller was allegedly mislead by their supplier.  I do not believe these are pieces of ammolite. I believe these are glass as another seller more or less correctly declared in their description of a similar item.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1144026244/bello-opal-inlayed-ammonite-pair?click_key=b75a4f8f44775d0ab7e22d8fe514ae5c093f8436%3A1144026244&click_sum=6fecb8e5&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=opalized+ammonite&ref=sr_gallery-1-18&organic_search_click=1&sts=1