Nugget Shooter Forums

New old ground…

Supposedly 150 acres of private land…. It’s within the heavily worked area south of Columbia Ca. The guy said there are numerous shafts, tunnels, gravel pits…. I’ll be getting a tour the first week in February.

He owns the land and is interested in learning a new hobby… even if little to no gold is found, there should be some really cool artifacts laying in the ground.

I’ve never worked any of these local spots because they’re all on private property but have read that they’re mostly tertiary gravels in limestone bedrock…. I’m really stoked….this should be fun, and it’s only 3-5 miles from where I live…

• Like 7

I’ve been eyeballing a spot just off hwy 49 for quite a while that I’d really like to poke around in and I think I’ve finally gotten the inspiration to find out who owns it and see if there’s any way I could access it… my next trip to town is gonna include a stop at the county recorders office…. I’ll take pics the next time I pass through there…I also went ahead and ordered one of those battery powered Makita backpack vacuums I was interested in…. Lots of good stuff happened last week….

18 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

my next trip to town is gonna include a stop at the county recorders office…

Is property ownership details not available online from the county recorders website?  I look at five or six counties in Arizona and they all have info online by clicking the property on a map.  For Maricopa, I used to call and get that info by phone until I found the online search function.  All that for free.

Gets a little harder if the property is held by an LLC.  Less than $100 anyone can create one and use it to purchase land and sometimes those end up being dead ends.

Might be your county recorders office is not gotten to the 20th century yet. I’m told there are a couple of counties where research does need to be done at the office.

I’ve only sent off one letter after finding an address and did not hear back.  Was when I first started.  Panned some gravels and found some color.  Went to make a claim, found it was actually private property, and did not file the claim.  Of course the country and the BLM would have taken my money had I, but I digress…. Sent a letter to the owner off the address on the county records and never heard back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pairadiceau said:

My friend uses this, it shows ownership and is handy in the field.     Best Hunting Apps GPS Landownership Maps for iPhone, Android, Web, Garmin  onX.jpeg

Have these gotten to the point it will tell who owns the land?  Last I checked these, would tell land manager like BLM or State trust, or the owner like county property or private property, but would not give details about who owned it.

52 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Have these gotten to the point it will tell who owns the land?  Last I checked these, would tell land manager like BLM or State trust, or the owner like county property or private property, but would not give details about who owned it.

This is an example around my area

2C43C732-9B25-46C0-AB05-5F1F26FAB128.png

4 hours ago, pairadiceau said:

Chris,

The ownership is shown as an individual, trust, agency etc.

That might work for some of the area, but it’s gonna take a trip to the assessor… here’s a couple quick pics I snapped today… I was in a hurry…

3D2FD715-3B6E-41C2-B750-D550DB1EAA88.jpeg

5CC4A714-C415-4DCF-84D3-684F6CF0B8B5.jpeg

Where is the poison oak? :D

I used to live up there 35 years ago and passed by that spot a bunch of times, never knew what might’ve been.

I think you’re onto a good method there, private property is where you gonna find anything these days in that region.  I know another spot nearby that you might want to check at the assessor’s office also. If it turns out to be a good lead, you have to publicly agree to share a finders fee with me though! :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Where is the poison oak? :D

I used to live up there 35 years ago and passed by that spot a bunch of times, never knew what might’ve been.

I’ve never had an allergic reaction to poison oak….:thumbsupanim

At one time, this was all part of a river bottom….   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

I’ve never had an allergic reaction to poison oak….:thumbsupanim

At one time, this was all part of a river bottom….   

You are lucky! I used to be immune but found out the allergic thing is progressive. I never had poison oak allergies until after a few years of bushwhacking  up there too. I used to be able to chainsaw the stuff and had it all over my arms with no issues, now I walk through an area  I swear has no poison oak and still get it. Technu saved it for me though, if I use that right after an outing I don’t get the rashes.

Looks like you may have a good place there!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

The boulder it was attached to….

image.jpeg

Don’t you just wonder if there’s any more of those inside it? You’re gonna need a bigger hammer! :D

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Don’t you just wonder if there’s any more of those inside it? You’re gonna need a bigger hammer! :D

:25r30wi: There’s more inside… but I’ll need something more than hand mortar… this ore was commercially mined at one time in the past… not sure when they stopped, but  it’s always a nice feeling to find free gold in ore….

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 2:28 PM, middleforkminer2 said:

That might work for some of the area, but it’s gonna take a trip to the assessor… here’s a couple quick pics I snapped today… I was in a hurry…

3D2FD715-3B6E-41C2-B750-D550DB1EAA88.jpeg

5CC4A714-C415-4DCF-84D3-684F6CF0B8B5.jpeg

I remember seeing this many, many years ago when I used to take my kids gold panning. I always thought it would be a great place to explore.