Nugget Shooter Forums

What's the best place to go detecting for gold in the Mojave Desert?

Hello,

Has anyone here detected for gold in the Mojave Desert area and found any gold? I would appreciate any tips on where to start and good places to detect for gold. I know its a brutal and dangerous place to be with the heat. Thank you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Artzak said:

I know its a brutal and dangerous place to be with the heat.

The Mohave/Mojave Desert is a place where you have to be very careful during the days from May until September.  If you go there from about October thru April it is truly one of the great places in the world to be.  You have long vistas, great sunrises and sunsets and the change in temperature is invigorating.  If you go you will find that millions of people already know its secrets and they go back every year.

• Like 3

There is incredible beauty in the desert and the heat, the thorns, the snakes… when it’s hot it’s unrelenting, this summer was pretty warm and by about 10AM I’d start fantasizing about a cool breeze that was still a couple months away. With the right clothes and a big hat… one of those things that soaks up water and slowly evaporates you wear around your neck helps quite a bit and frequent breaks to an air conditioned vehicle it’s totally doable. 
8C038D72-0FB0-405B-AC45-6125EAC77FC3.pngB7B96EF9-BE99-4F82-BB49-33454420BC23.png

The beauty in the Sierra Nevada mountains is pretty spectacular too.

20B9BCD8-2D71-4DFF-A246-FAFB2C4419AB.jpeg9A33ADD9-8D0A-46DE-944F-13298ABEA140.jpeg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Artzak said:

Hello,

Has anyone here detected for gold in the Mojave Desert area and found any gold? I would appreciate any tips on where to start and good places to detect for gold. I know its a brutal and dangerous place to be with the heat. Thank you.

Where have you detected, what part of the Mojave, when are you planning to go and what detector are you swinging?

The GPAA has at least one claim in the Mojave desert out in the Barstow California area.  They have over 300 claims and access to some other properties spread across the country, and membership is fairly affordable.

I’m not sure if its where you are, but I looked at Needles, Nevada recently, which is either just in or close to the Mohave desert and there were very few claims, and some gold mines.  I didn’t get much further than that to determine the exact location to go to.  If you can determine land status and look at the docs posted, that will open up where you can go tremendously.

• Like 1

Hi 1515Art,

I have not detected there before because I hear a lot of people get strokes or lost and its very dangerous if you're not experienced. Have you been detecting in the Mojave area before? I plan on going in mid February but I don't know anyone who has been there before and has experience detecting there. I have a GPX 5000, GM1000, and Gold bug 2 detector I can use and I was told the GM1000 detector is the best for desert terrain.

8 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Where have you detected, what part of the Mojave, when are you planning to go and what detector are you swinging?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1515Art said:

There is incredible beauty in the desert and the heat, the thorns, the snakes… when it’s hot it’s unrelenting, this summer was pretty warm and by about 10AM I’d start fantasizing about a cool breeze that was still a couple months away. With the right clothes and a big hat… one of those things that soaks up water and slowly evaporates you wear around your neck helps quite a bit and frequent breaks to an air conditioned vehicle it’s totally doable. 
8C038D72-0FB0-405B-AC45-6125EAC77FC3.pngB7B96EF9-BE99-4F82-BB49-33454420BC23.png

The beauty in the Sierra Nevada mountains is pretty spectacular too.

20B9BCD8-2D71-4DFF-A246-FAFB2C4419AB.jpeg9A33ADD9-8D0A-46DE-944F-13298ABEA140.jpeg

That's very beautiful

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artzak said:

Hi 1515Art,

I have not detected there before because I hear a lot of people get strokes or lost and its very dangerous if you're not experienced. Have you been detecting in the Mojave area before? I plan on going in mid February but I don't know anyone who has been there before and has experience detecting there. I have a GPX 5000, GM1000, and Gold bug 2 detector I can use and I was told the GM1000 detector is the best for desert terrain.

If you are going out to Gold Basin mid February send me a PM and if I can I’ll meet you out there and try and help you get started, it’s really not that difficult you just need to get a feel for the area and use a little common sense dealing with the hazards… water, watch for snakes and keep track of your landmarks.

gpaa, gold seekers of southern Nevada (GSSN), Mojave prospectors Association (MPA) and Western  States prospecting Association (WSPA) all have good ground out there and will get you started in spots that with persistence and or luck you can find gold or meteorites.

• Like 3

On 1/22/2022 at 2:40 PM, Artzak said:

Hello,

Artzak, what part of the Mojave desert? It's a mighty big desert. From the N/side of the San Gabriel's to the E/side of the Sierra's and East touching 4 states. Hell, the Northern part covers about 1/4 of Nevada. There are some areas on the E/side of the Sierra's that are BLM land that haven't been claimed that I have been wanting to go check out. There's a little bit of hiking to do. Some big mining outfit back in the 70's had some prospect pits in the area and there are some old mines not too far away. The thing is, big mining companies will only go after big gold or something with the potential to be big gold...it's all about profits for them. The area might not have been to their taste but might still be worthwhile to the small time guy. But, I won't know until I put feet on the ground. Thing is, I don't have a GPS device. The last thing you want to do is find yourself on the wrong piece of land.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:04 PM, 1515Art said:

If you are going out to Gold Basin mid February send me a PM and if I can I’ll meet you out there and try and help you get started, it’s really not that difficult you just need to get a feel for the area and use a little common sense dealing with the hazards… water, watch for snakes and keep track of your landmarks.

gpaa, gold seekers of southern Nevada (GSSN), Mojave prospectors Association (MPA) and Western  States prospecting Association (WSPA) all have good ground out there and will get you started in spots that with persistence and or luck you can find gold or meteorites.

Thank you, I appreciate you trying to help me out. I will definitely let you know once I decide to go.

• Like 1

@Artzak, sounds like you have a great invite to start out. Probably the best way to increase your chances for finding gold in any new area including the Mojave is to research and understand its mining history first. Watch and read about desert prospecting in the Mojave from this series; “The Mojave Project”, it will give you some good ideas where to go from Los Angeles:

https://mojaveproject.org/dispatches-item/desert-gold-part-i/

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 3:51 PM, GotAU? said:

@Artzak, sounds like you have a great invite to start out. Probably the best way to increase your chances for finding gold in any new area including the Mojave is to research and understand its mining history first. Watch and read about desert prospecting in the Mojave from this series; “The Mojave Project”, it will give you some good ideas where to go from Los Angeles:

https://mojaveproject.org/dispatches-item/desert-gold-part-i/

Thank you for the tip!