Nugget Shooter Forums

Anybody use one of these???

Not me, but I'm now thinking seriously of buying one. That would be a huge help in my prospecting in Wyoming. My 73 year old body is not what it was during 50+ years of concrete work...LOL I appreciate the "heads up"!

Jim

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Idaho Jim said:

Not me, but I'm now thinking seriously of buying one. That would be a huge help in my prospecting in Wyoming. My 73 year old body is not what it was during 50+ years of concrete work...LOL I appreciate the "heads up"!

Jim

That would be very useful at the Dead Mans Mine that GhostMiner is posting about in his thread.

• Like 1

I wonder if Forest Service or BLM regulations ban something like that. If I recall correctly there are some areas that are limited to "hand tools". 
I used a small electric rotary hammer on some slate in CA once. I was getting a booming signal on my GB2 so I started chipping away at it with a hammer and chisel. That was next to impossible so I drove my Samurai right up to the hole, hooked up an inverter to the Samurai battery to power the rotary hammer and was able to make much better progress.
What I found was it was the slate in that particular spot that was causing the signal. None of the surrounding slate did that.
I also remember Rob Allison and another guy with a generator and an electric jack hammer working one of the 24K club's claims at Rich Hill. The club also used dozers for pushes there. 

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

I wonder if Forest Service or BLM regulations ban something like that. If I recall correctly there are some areas that are limited to "hand tools". 

Hmmm wouldn’t that be considered a “hand tool”???

Since I’ve already invested in two batteries a charger and that backpack vacuum, I’ll probably get one after I figure out which model would be best for my needs…. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Hmmm wouldn’t that be considered a “hand tool”???

Since I’ve already invested in two batteries a charger and that backpack vacuum, I’ll probably get one after I figure out which model would be best for my needs…. 

LOL. I guess that would depend on the government agency's definition. I remember a discussion about this in the Lynx Creek AZ area.

The Forest Service recognizes gold panning and metal detecting as legitimate recreational pursuits. In doing so, these activities will be allowed in this area, subject to the following prohibitions designed to protect the environment.:112: 

• ALL PERSONS ARE PROHIBITED FROM MUTILATING, DEFACING, REMOVING, DISTURBING, INJURING OR DESTROYING ANY NATURAL FEATURE OR ANY PROPERTY OF THE UNITED STATES. (Title 36 CFR 261.9a):112:
  • EXCEPT FOR GOLD PANS, METAL DETECTORS AND HAND TOOLS, SUCH AS PICKS AND SHOVELS, IT IS PROHIBITED TO USE ANY MOTORIZED OR MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT OR MINING AIDS USED FOR MINERAL EXTRACTION WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF THE WITHDRAWAL AREA, AS DEFINED ON THE ATTACHED MAP. (Title 36 CFR 261.53 e & f) **:112:
  • VIOLATION OF THESE PROHIBITIONS IS PUNISHABLE BY A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN $500, OR IMPRISONMENT FOR NOT MORE THAN 6 MONTHS, OR BOTH.:yikes:

** Motorized Equipment Includes: Any equipment having or using an engine or motor. :112:

** Mechanical Equipment and Mining Aids Include: Sluice boxes, dry washers, gold screws, gold bugs, rocker boxes, wheel barrows or other devices designed to increase production above that level obtained with gold pans and hand tools. :112:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/prescott/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5359247

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Like 2

The blm “reclamation” branch here at New Melones doesn’t even allow “looking” for minerals… whatever that means… And if I remember correctly, even mere possession of a metal detector is against the local regs. 

• Irritated 1

11 hours ago, Morlock said:

That would be very useful at the Dead Mans Mine that GhostMiner is posting about in his thread.

Yeah , it probably would… you might want to rethink the idea of using a dry washer though…. Just my opinion…

45 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Yeah , it probably would… you might want to rethink the idea of using a dry washer though…. Just my opinion…

Hasn't there been lots of rain in the Mother Lode this year?

4 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

Hasn't there been lots of rain in the Mother Lode this year?

We had some nice snow and rain, but that was 4 weeks ago, sunshine and warm weather since then, its looking like another dry season. I drywash between July and end of October in the Sierras. 

38 minutes ago, Relichunter2016 said:

I drywash between July and end of October in the Sierras. 

I have to admit, I’ve never tried to drywash other than with a pan and in my backyard 30-40 years ago… watch a few videos of people nugget hunting in the desert…nobody passes up old tailing piles… I wonder why that is???

Not only don’t I advocate drywashing (unless it’s the only viable option) I’m also pretty anal about how I run gravel through a sluice…. It’s easier to wash gold out of a sluice box than many people realize…

I carry and use a little smaller version.... But very effective !!!!

20180416_172451_resized.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Braking open crevices is what I bought it for, does a dam good job, it's the 1 inch Milwaukee Hammer / Drill. Not as big as some, but also easier to pack around.  May take a bit longer but results are just as good. I'll see if I can find some crevicing  photos.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dig It said:

Braking open crevices is what I bought it for, does a dam good job, it's the 1 inch Milwaukee Hammer / Drill. Not as big as some, but also easier to pack around.  May take a bit longer but results are just as good. I'll see if I can find some crevicing  photos.....

I was thinking of also using it with bits/wedges for breaking apart larger boulders and as a means to anchor a come along to bedrock. 

Been there done that with this Hammer / Drill , heading out to get my Booster shot in Havasu this morning and I do have photos of this type of use, will post when I get back .....

• Like 1

Here's a couple photos of one reason I bought that Hammer / Drill needed to pull boulders into place so I could make a dredge pool. Sorry only hand one photo of cable pull, drilled into boulder pounded cement sink into boulder screwed eye onto sink, hooked cable  & pulley up, pulled a few boulders into place then buried boulder's with smaller material, pool made then dredged, a lot of work but paid off..... Very time consuming & labor intensive... I'll take a photo of drill bit's and hardware I used & post later.... 

20180717_120529.jpg

20180719_145332.jpg

20180608_145039.jpg

20180609_100347.jpg

• Like 1
  • well done 1