Nugget Shooter Forums

Black Diamond

Carbonado is micro porous. It's also solid black which makes this one's transparency suspicious. It's commonly mined as industrial diamond for abrasives and it also common for the crystal aggregates to be big.  Here is a typical example of carbonado as mined.

https://geology.com/diamond/carbonado/

There are serious doubts as to an extraterrestrial origin for carbonado diamond but it does make an interesting selling point for those who are into the whole alien/trekkie thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clay said:

Carbonado is micro porous. It's also solid black which makes this one's transparency suspicious. It's commonly mined as industrial diamond for abrasives and it also common for the crystal aggregates to be big.  Here is a typical example of carbonado as mined.

https://geology.com/diamond/carbonado/

There are serious doubts as to an extraterrestrial origin for carbonado diamond but it does make an interesting selling point for those who are into the whole alien/trekkie thing.

I'd like to know the provenance of this.

• Like 1

Provenance of what Morlock? The auction house has already said they won't reveal the seller, previous owners or the location it came from. Strange though that the New York Post seems certain it came from outer space. :89:

1 hour ago, clay said:

Provenance of what Morlock? The auction house has already said they won't reveal the seller, previous owners or the location it came from. Strange though that the New York Post seems certain it came from outer space. :89:

Isn't that strange? Why the secrecy? I'd would want to know everything about it if I was going to bid on it. 

For all we know it could have been created in a lab.

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I'd like to know the provenance of this.

I agree. 

That would be a lot more interesting than someone proving carbonados came from space.

17 minutes ago, clay said:

Provenance of what Morlock? 

I think Morlock was talking about the stone in the article Clay.

Just a guess. 

I would guess that the New York Post is just running with the most sensational hypothesis. 

Is that so odd?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clay said:

Looks like the New York Post is relying on the auctions “in house expert gemologists” for their info…

The record-breaking, 555.55-carat gemstone, dubbed “The Enigma,” was ranked among the largest and toughest diamonds in the world, and it’s thought to have dropped here millions of years ago from outer space, according to the iconic auction house’s expert gemologists.

personally, it looks to me like they’re putting lipstick on a pig…

Edited by middleforkminer2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, clay said:

It's also solid black which makes this one's transparency suspicious.

It doesn’t appear transparent to me. I think we’re seeing reflections off some of the facets, which makes it seem transparent. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, d_day said:

It doesn’t appear transparent to me. I think we’re seeing reflections off some of the facets, which makes it seem transparent. 

I think you may be right about that. I looked at the enlarged photos.

Man that is one ugly rock. I wonder where Sotheby's thinks there is a market for this?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clay said:

Man that is one ugly rock. I wonder where Sotheby's thinks there is a market for this?

I have no idea. If I saw that for sale somewhere, even for a fiver, I’d keep walking and not buy anything from that vendor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, clay said:

Someone with money will bid on it, probably from the middle east given it's apparent symbology.

9 hours ago, d_day said:

I have no idea. If I saw that for sale somewhere, even for a fiver, I’d keep walking and not buy anything from that vendor.

I don't know why they think it could sell for 6.8 million. It's a no reserve auction which means I could get it for $1.00 if no one else bids on it.  They'll even accept cryptocurrency which is worthless as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

They are really pulling out all of the stops on this one!

We have some large Saffordites that could be faceted to look better than that pitted piece.  I wonder if we could get a couple of million for them?

I think I'll look at that 'diamond' when it comes to Los Angeles.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2022/01/19/rare-black-diamond-enigma-auction/6577720001/ 

• Like 1

No substantiated provenance, no cited, credible tests.. buyer be wear.  Then there are lots of folks with boat loads of money, and no interest in facts, just glam.

I love  middleforkminer2's statement above.  Good one!!

9 hours ago, Morlock said:

Someone with money will bid on it, probably from the middle east given it's apparent symbology.

I don't know why they think it could sell for 6.8 million. It's a no reserve auction which means I could get it for $1.00 if no one else bids on it.  They'll even accept cryptocurrency which is worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Lest  we forget . . .,  Insurance is potentially the biggest market in the world. There are Insurers who, for the right premium, will cover just about anything, often without so much as a pre risk survey (preliminary investigation of the risk/property to be insured)  

The payoff for the insured/plaintiff is in the claim. Large Claims are linked to high stakes litigation. Litigation/settlement is where the big money resides.

Let's say for example that the item is insured for 6 Million. It has of course, been appraised for value (often highly inflated), the Appraiser(s) get their cut, (hopefully not a GIA certified Appraisal) Then the item disappears, and a claim is made. A statutory clock starts to tick . . . If the claim is not paid within a certain period of time, a lawsuit ensues wherein the Plaintiff alleges that the Insurance company is in "Bad Faith" A violation of "The covenants of good faith and fair dealing" which is required by the insurance policy/contract.

The punitive damages associated with a Bad Faith jury verdict are usually many times that of a mere property loss. Insurance companies, are very reluctant to deny claims and go to trial, risking the loss of a Bad Faith lawsuit, and they know going in, that Insurance companies, Banks and Corporations in general, are viewed in a very unsympathetic light by juries.

In certain situations, at first glance it may be difficult to distinguish a sales market for a item, but there is always the possibility that the owner/buyer might just have the intention to simply, "sell it to the insurance company"

(The above commentary based on 30 years experience as an Insurance Investigator)

11 hours ago, BMc said:

Lest  we forget . . .,  Insurance is potentially the biggest market in the world. There are Insurers who, for the right premium, will cover just about anything, often without so much as a pre risk survey (preliminary investigation of the risk/property to be insured)

I wish I cold find an insurer who would cover extra mods I did to my truck.

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

• 3 weeks later...

Highest bid so far is $1,080,000 with one more day to go. Far below  the $6.8 million minimum they were expecting. Should be an interesting 24 hours. 

21 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Highest bid so far is $1,080,000 with one more day to go. Far below  the $6.8 million minimum they were expecting. Should be an interesting 24 hours. 

They didn’t put my name next to my bid did they? 😁

NDTV: 55-Face Black Diamond, Largest Ever Cut, Sells for $4.3 Million In Crypto.
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/55-face-black-diamond-largest-ever-cut-sells-for-4-3-million-in-crypto-2759511#publisher=newsstand

Sold for 4.3 million in crypto currency. Waay too much imho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Proves the saying: a fool and their (his) money are soon parted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...