Nugget Shooter Forums

Purple veins

Yes. Probably. It's either amethyst or fluorite. I think it is amethyst.

Amethyst is not soluble in (most) acids. Fluoride is. Fluorite is softer and has blocky, cubicl crystals. Amethyst has longer crystals at steeper angles that often terminate. It's just purple quartz. 

So take a close look at the shape of the crystals. If they are chunky cubes it indicates flourite. If they are longer needles with pointed hats they are amethyst.

Take a piece of quartz and see if you can scratch it. If so it is probably fluorite. If it is similar in hardness as quartz it is probably amethyst.

I'm not sure which acids fluorite is soluble in. Google it. If that acid does not dissolve it then you have quartz 

Fluorite will also flouresce under certain light (I think). A regular old ultraviolet light might distinguish it from amethyst. Im not sure.

Those are good looking rocks you are finding bro. They look just like what you might find in my area.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Yes. Probably. It's either amethyst or fluorite. I think it is amethyst.

Amethyst is not soluble in (most) acids. Fluoride is. Fluorite is softer and has blocky, cubicl crystals. Amethyst has longer crystals at steeper angles that often terminate. It's just purple quartz. 

So take a close look at the shape of the crystals. If they are chunky cubes it indicates flourite. If they are longer needles with pointed hats they are amethyst.

Take a piece of quartz and see if you can scratch it. If so it is probably fluorite. If it is similar in hardness as quartz it is probably amethyst.

I'm not sure which acids fluorite is soluble in. Google it. If that acid does not dissolve it then you have quartz 

Fluorite will also flouresce under certain light (I think). A regular old ultraviolet light might distinguish it from amethyst. Im not sure.

Those are good looking rocks you are finding bro. They look just like what you might find in my area.

Thanks Bob it’s been fun collecting these. It’s crazy to me that these were all on the surface. Imagine what lies beneath. I took some pics with my eye loupe. It must be pretty hard. I tried to scratch it with a knife and it would not leave a mark. Let me know what you think. 

6B697B05-0D44-4D72-BDE0-BF96F25990E5.jpeg

54FA4903-9091-4847-8239-A060B442785E.jpeg

Is it possible this comes from a tailings pile at a mine?  The top photos give it a cracked recently and not weather worn look.

The only place I’ve read locally to me that fluorite is found comes from tailings piles from shafts from I’ll call them medium sized tunnels.  Something too big and long to dig by hand, but not the miles long tunnels in huge commercial operations.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisski said:

Is it possible this comes from a tailings pile at a mine?  The top photos give it a cracked recently and not weather worn look.

The only place I’ve read locally to me that fluorite is found comes from tailings piles from shafts from I’ll call them medium sized tunnels.  Something too big and long to dig by hand, but not the miles long tunnels in huge commercial operations.

What about Amethyst? If these were from tailings from shafts could they have been dumped by someone?

On 1/16/2022 at 8:43 AM, chrisski said:

Is it possible that this area was a mine shaft? It seems reasonable when you look at the landscape. Several massive piles of rocks at the bottom of the canyon.