Nugget Shooter Forums

17 minutes ago, PATRICKTHETRAVELER said:

At my age,  both my phone and computer are smarter than me.  I'd like to learn how to add a layer to show BLM, State,  National Forest lands to my Google Earth Pro. I've looked on YouTube with no success.  Many thanks,  Patrick. 

Hey Patrick, Have you looked at ONXMaps? https://onxmaps.com/  I have heard good things about this mapping system.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, clay said:

Go here:

https://gis.blm.gov/arcgis/rest/services/lands/BLM_Natl_SMA_Cached_without_PriUnk/MapServer/generateKml

Select all the boxes then select:

"Vector layers as vectors and raster layers as images"

And click the button that says "generate kml"

Throw those three files on Google Earth and Bob's yer Uncle!  :thumbsupanim

I owe you a dinner.  Still living at the same place.?

13 hours ago, PATRICKTHETRAVELER said:

Thank you, I'm wanting to use it in conjunction Minecache. 

I hate to be the one to bring you the bad news Patrick - Minecache is seriously out of date. I wouldn't advise relying on it for claims status.

All the third party mining claim maps (except Land Matters) are seriously out of date. Land Matters claims mapping is up to date (January 1, 2022) and will be updated again this coming week when the BLM does their twice monthly database update.

Diggings, Minecache etc. haven't been updated since the new BLM MLRS database replaced the LR2000 on January 22, 2021. That means their mapping is almost a year out of date.

To give you an idea how much that matters on December 1, 2021 alone the BLM closed more than 20,000 claims. All those closed claims, and thousands more, are shown as being active on Minecache. Just this mining year alone (since September 1, 2021) more than 44,000 mining claims have been closed and more than 75,000 new claims have been located. Minecache doesn't show any of those new claims.

You could save yourself some money (Land Matters is FREE) and get more accurate, up to date mapping (including the most recent and accurate land manager maps) just by clicking the LINK. All brought to you with love by yours truly. :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of government supplied public information Patrick. Keep trying I'm sure it will work on some days. :inocent:

This is why we started Land Matters. We've got more current and accurate data than the governments public access websites and it doesn't go away. As of today the Land Matters web server has been operational without a glitch for 1,330 days. :4chsmu1:

• Like 1

Here's another google earth kml file from the EPA. Just covers three states. Same deal select the checkboxes for the states you want and then generate a kml file.

https://geodata.epa.gov/arcgis/rest/services/Region9/R9NNAUMFederalLandStatus/MapServer/generatekml

All of this google earth kml mapping is old, incomplete and inaccurate. If you really want to use google that's just something you will have to put up with for the time being. Google earth is great for scoping out an area before you go - there really isn't any better tool available for free. It's really crappy for accuracy or trying to display large complex data like land ownership and management.

Hang in there, I'm sure you will get it eventually.

Well, I finally did it.  I stumped Garmin.  I asked if I could draw mining claim perimeters on GE, and then transfer to my Montana 600.  The tech took a lot of time trying to figure it out, but with no success.  I would like to point out that Garmin has one of the best customer support's I have ever dealt with.

• Like 1

I've done that on a Garmin Patrick but it's not easy or reliable. Too many claims and your GPS unit is going to slow down and do weird stuff. The real problem is the google map projections are not standardized to work with other mapping systems.

Garmin is always my choice with commercial handheld units. I've done a lot of testing and the other manufacturers don't even come close. Their tech support is great but I doubt you ill ever get anyone on the phone that  can walk you through vector to geotiff conversions. :89:

Edited by clay

Patrick, I use the BLM's Public Land Survey System KMZ on GE to help narrow down claim locations while using the BLM's claim legal descriptions obtained from the My Land Matters maps- here is the link if you would like to use it on GE - at first it won't look right, but you have to zoom in close to see the section lines for the area you want to map, and even closer to see the quadrant lines.

https://gis.blm.gov/arcgis/rest/services/Cadastral/BLM_Natl_PLSS_CadNSDI/MapServer?f=kmz

Then look for a legal description of an area you are interested in on the My Land Matters maps to guide you to the right quadrant on GE.  Its not going to give you GPS points while you are in the field - its mainly a good way to research before going somewhere.