Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Happy New Year!


Recommended Posts

Howdy Gang,

With the start of the new year, one of my traditions is to go meteorite hunting the first part of the month, or as close as possible. This is my way of bringing in the good luck for the rest of the year, lol. 
 

I decided to hit up StV and headed out late, almost 10:00 AM. It was still a bit brisk, 46 degrees at that time, but warmed up nicely throughout the morning, to about 57 by the mid afternoon. 
 

It took about an hour to get to where I wanted to start from, always with the sun at my back, and the hunt began. Two hours went by before I found my first rite, and ended up with three by the time I called it quits. As I was walking back to the truck, I found two more for a total of 5 for the day. Five times the good luck for the new year. 
 

Until next time, Keep looking down. 
Jayray

 

CE24159B-9E84-4EB0-B43D-A7DCB69BB4C0.jpeg

1C0769C7-F48D-46B8-AE47-7790A16575BC.jpeg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jayray said:

Howdy Gang,

With the start of the new year, one of my traditions is to go meteorite hunting the first part of the month, or as close as possible. This is my way of bringing in the good luck for the rest of the year, lol. 
 

I decided to hit up StV and headed out late, almost 10:00 AM. It was still a bit brisk, 46 degrees at that time, but warmed up nicely throughout the morning, to about 57 by the mid afternoon. 
 

It took about an hour to get to where I wanted to start from, always with the sun at my back, and the hunt began. Two hours went by before I found my first rite, and ended up with three by the time I called it quits. As I was walking back to the truck, I found two more for a total of 5 for the day. Five times the good luck for the new year. 
 

Until next time, Keep looking down. 
Jayray

 

CE24159B-9E84-4EB0-B43D-A7DCB69BB4C0.jpeg

1C0769C7-F48D-46B8-AE47-7790A16575BC.jpeg

Nice finds!!!!. Congrats.

I'm curious how many different classifications have been found there. Have any idea?

Edited by Morlock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are several old, weathered H and L chondrites and one fresher L.  The metbul lists a few LLs, too, but I've never seen any of those.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

There are several old, weathered H and L chondrites and one fresher L.  The metbul lists a few LLs, too, but I've never seen any of those.

It seems like there's been a lot of finds on Stewart Valley Dry Lake.. How many square miles is that? Would it be possible to extrapolate that figure anyplace out west and assume there's roughly the same amount of meteorites in that same area?

Or is Stewart Valley a meteorite magnet?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a Dense Collection Area like many of the dry lakes out here, you can measure the area in Google Earth.  No more have fallen there than anywhere else, per se, just easier to find.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to O Richard Norton, every square mile of land has one meteorite in it. 
Too much land and meteorites and not enough time I’m afraid  

:tisk-tisk:Jayray

Edited by Jayray
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Jayray said:

According to O Richard Norton, every square mile of land has one meteorite in it. 
Too much land and meteorites and not enough time I’m afraid  

:tisk-tisk:Jayray

Robert Haag stated there are 6 to 8 (if I remember correctly)  meteorites per square mile although most were smaller than a pea.

Edited by Morlock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the American Meteor Society, "As an order of magnitude estimation, each square kilometer of the earth’s surface should collect 1 meteorite fall about once every 50,000 years, on the average. If this area is increased to 1 square mile, this time period becomes about 20,000 years between falls.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So that means it will (probably) take no more than 20,000 years to find one if you hunt the same square mile every year.

It's like a home mortgage. You can get it paid off earlier if you make extra payments.

Set your goals high. Search 200 acres a year and it will only take a hundred years to find one!

:25r30wi:

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Jayray said:

According to O Richard Norton, every square mile of land has one meteorite in it. 
Too much land and meteorites and not enough time I’m afraid  

:tisk-tisk:Jayray

Well, from what I've read... each day the earth picks up roughly 100 tons of meteoric dust while traveling through the galaxy. Should be enough for everyone.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...